Plate holes not bonded to surfaces

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Vagulus

Plate holes not bonded to surfaces

Postby Vagulus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 am

Printing a foundation plate for a device produces this problem:
190807-Incoherent-478x640.jpg

The surface you see is the third layer and it has not yet bonded to the through-holes. On the left you will see that bonding between lines of filament material is also a little haphazard.

It does all bond in later layers but I am a little surprised that a Pro2 is this imprecise.
Has anyone had similar problems?
How did you fix it?

I have attached an Inventor model, the STL, and and the GCode files.

Thanks
Attachments
AE-001-0001.zip
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

Sunshine

Re: Plate holes not bonded to surfaces

Postby Sunshine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am

I looked up your settings and I believe it is your coasting settings that does this. Check out my image below, the one on the left is where I have decreased the coasting. You are using 1.3mm coasting and I changed it to 0.1mm. I guess you are battling some retraction and therefore you have increased the coasting distance.

coasting.PNG

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:53 am

Thanks Sunshine, I think that will prove right but it does leave me with an issue. Here are my retraction settings
190808-ExtruderSettings.png

I keep getting a build-up of material at the end of a row of extrusion and this amount of retraction didn't fix it. That's why I increased the 'Coasting' setting.

If I reduce the Coasting as you suggest I expect I'll be back to getting that buildup. My question now is, "Just how much retraction can I use without thrashing the stepper motors in the extruder?" I have never been able to get any indication of how much is too much from Raise3D. Can you give me some indication?

Thanks

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:47 am

No problem, I don't know which brand of filament you are using, is it PLA? I'd experiment with the temperature settings for that.

I am wondering about the amount of shells you are using, why are you using so many? There might be some issues with the solid fill outline shells? You have a lot of different extrusion width percentages which might have caused your holes without needing to change the coasting as I suggested.

From what I can see you are not retracting around those holes so the retraction settings won't help you.
Skärmklipp.PNG

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks Sunshine

I use eSun PLA+ filament.

I am using three shells because the major project I have on at the moment is bolted together. Fewer shells buckle too easily around the bolt holes. It is also a question of structural strength. My projects are mechanical models, prototyping work not ornaments. Things have to be reasonable strong not just pretty.

You write of 'retracting round the holes' or, rather, that I don't do that. I don't know about that. What switch applies retraction when printing up to a hole?

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:51 am

Cool, then I know what you want to do.

What I mean is when you check the "show retraction" you can see crosses where the printer will retract. As you can se there are no retractions around the hole that you are having problem with. Therefore the retraction settings are not helping you around them.

From your settings it is hard to say what would help, since you have a lot of different flow rates, that you have customized, that are impacting the print. I would advise to make some smaller test modells with holes that you can do some testing on. Experiment with less temperature on the nozzle, it might be over melting that is causing the ooze.

Hope it helps!

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:14 am

Hi Sunshine

What did you use to create those images?
Are they showing extreme closeup of each extrusion thread?

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:13 pm

I just used the preview and zoomed in very close, and then took a screen-shot. :ugeek:

Return to “Printing Settings”