Banding due to printing direction. How to remedy?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Noren

Banding due to printing direction. How to remedy?

Postby Noren » Sun May 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Trying a lot of different setting with PETG. And have learnt a lot. But one thing that I can’t get my head around how to fix is this banding. The print is 1 shell with an extrusion width of 0.54 mm. 0.4 nozzle. 0.28 layer height. No infill. I don’t want to print in vase mode because of reasons. The banding that you see is due to that the printer changes printing direction. Every so often it prints a few layers counter clockwise. But all the others are clockwise. Anyone know what’s up with this? Is there a way to get the printer to not change direction without using vase mode.
25626537-9CB1-431B-B712-51484DEE7ECA.jpeg
Last edited by Noren on Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noren

Re: Banding due to printing direction. How to remedy?

Postby Noren » Sun May 26, 2019 7:47 pm

Update. Tried changing different parameters to see what causes this. Changed the layer height to 0.260 and it changed the result. Still get the banding but the change in printing direction is more frequent and with less layers in between. Is this a bug or a feature?

6C276FDC-88B5-495B-AC6B-44781D5E2063.jpeg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 pm

Would you like to share your gcode and idea files with us?

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 29, 2019 7:46 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Would you like to share your gcode and idea files with us?

Off course.
I have tried a lot of different settings and no matter what I try I can't get it to not change direction on the printing path.
The bottom half of the diamond print in the same direction through out all layers.
Ass soon ass the print has passed the widest part of the diamond every so often one/or some layers will change and print in the opposite direction.
It get better with some layer heights.
It doesn't matter if I choose Nearest, Random or Fixed position for retraction.
It dosn't matter if it prints 1 or more shells.
I can't use spiral vase mode because of the bottom part of the print that needs to be solid.

I thought I could solve it by using a Per Layer Setting.
But it looks like Spiral Vase Mode is not available to choose in the Per Layer Settings.

/Andreas
Attachments
sims example.zip
(426.89 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 30, 2019 4:41 pm

Looks like you build your own physical shell on your original model but not let ideaMaker to calculate. But the thickness of some areas are too small so that ideaMaker judges it as Thin Wall structures.
We would recommend you to adjust the model thickness to be the integral multiple times of the shell value you set in ideaMaker.

Noren

Postby Noren » Thu May 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Looks like you build your own physical shell on your original model but not let ideaMaker to calculate. But the thickness of some areas are too small so that ideaMaker judges it as Thin Wall structures.
We would recommend you to adjust the model thickness to be the integral multiple times of the shell value you set in ideaMaker.

Yes.
I have built my own walls.
But the result is the same with booth 0,4 0,6 and 0,8 mm walls.
In fact. If I in Fusion set the shell to be 0,8 mm IdeaMaker will not always have room for 2 shell.

But It doesn't matter what thickness off the shell I have. I still can't get it to print in one direction.

/Andreas

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 pm

For the wall thickness of your model, we have double confirmed it is 0.86mm and you are using 0.6mm extrusion width. We have tried to slice with default 0.4mm extrusion width. The result turns out to be two outer shells for inner and outer wall and single extrusion width for the 0.06mm left in middle. For this 0.86mm width model, we would recommend to print with 0.4mm extrusion width with 0.4mm nozzle.
2.png
1.png
1.png (4.26 KiB) Viewed 487 times
4.png
3.png

The direction change issue we have just finished a beta version of ideaMaker which may can fix this issue.
If you have any interest to run test for us, please let me know.

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri May 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks. I gladly try out the beta.
The shell thickness is something I experimented with to make a light but strong print. Wanted as little material in the shells as possible.

Vicky do you know if they have looked into the bug that makes IM chrash on move for me?

/Andreas.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 31, 2019 6:02 pm

Whether you are using Windows version or Mac version? I will PM you the new beta version first.
You can check whether it fixes your issue or not.

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri May 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Whether you are using Windows version or Mac version? I will PM you the new beta version first.
You can check whether it fixes your issue or not.

Mac.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 31, 2019 6:10 pm

PM sent.

Return to “Printing Settings”