Changing "First Layer" Settings

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Vagulus

Changing "First Layer" Settings

Postby Vagulus » Wed May 15, 2019 3:26 am

I am using a Pro2.
My current project requires many surfaces to be created on support material.
You can see here
190515-SubstandardSurfaceFromSupport.png

that the surface I get on top of support is substandard and I am assuming that this is because the "First Layer" is not sufficiently dense. Problem is that changing settings for the First Layer has no effect.

How do I fix this?
--------------------------------------------
God so loved the World that
He did not send a Committee

Sunshine

Re: Changing "First Layer" Settings

Postby Sunshine » Wed May 15, 2019 1:20 pm

You could try using dense support layers, that will make the support at the top better. The drawback is that it might be hard to remove the support from the model. I would advise using PVA in that case or experiment more with support infill, gap to model or other support settings.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Nice to see you over on the print settings boards!

Looks like you're using a raft with support. You'd want to increase the density of your support, and use dense support. For my finer PLA prints (using PLA as support as well) I have my values set to 70% and 90% respectively.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Wed May 15, 2019 11:13 pm

One thing I noticed was that the axis of the First Layer extrusion was parallel to the axis of the support. This led to the first threads of extruded material hanging in the breeze (so to speak). I changed the axis of the Support Infill Angle to be normal to the First Layer extrusion angle (bit of guesswork here because I can't find a control for the First Layer extrusion angle) and things got a bit better:
190516-SubstandardSurfaceFromSupport.png

I say a bit better, but it's still not good. What I am trying to figure out now is how to get a thicker thread of material laid in the First Layer. I have increased First Layer Flow Rate from 100% to 120% (this is as shown in the image above) but the threads laid are still spider-web - so much so that the threads do not coalesce into a layer. Here are my current layer settings:
190516-FirstLayerSettings-480x417.png

What do I change here to get more bulk in the extrusion?

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu May 16, 2019 2:06 am

Here's another aspect.

When printing the Giveaway Whatsit I find that the layer at the bottom of the embossed area is also porous
190516-LayerStriation.png

The threads of PLA laid down do not form a contiguous layer. Here it is closer up
190516-LayerStriationCloseUp.png

You can see (I hope) that two crossed layers have been put down but there are still gaps right through.

So, I guess, the general question becomes, "How do I get a layer laid down on Support (or Infill) that is a layer not a bed of closely laid threads?"

Thanks

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 am

Did you try using dense support? If the distance between the model and the support is to large, the lines could be drooping down a bit.

Is the gaps consistent throughout the whole model? It seems weird that it only has gaps in that area alone.

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am

The gaps are consistent - the ones pictured were easy to see.

I changed Dense Support Layers to 3; Dense Support Infill Ratio to 80; Support Infill Ratio to 30
190516-MedalliionBackOffDenseSupport.png

Better but still below par. It still seems to be a problem with insufficient material being deposited.
Have a look at the first layer of the bottom of the embossed image (attached)!
Yike!
But that's for another day.

For now I'd settle for a way to get the First Layer to deposit more material.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Attachments
190516-MedallionEmbossFloor.jpg

PTXer

Postby PTXer » Thu May 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Who's PLA are you using for this? Here is one of my first prints using the R3D PLA and running the slice on ultra high quality. Very good surface fill. Other brand PLAs dont do this as well. Its a matter of tweaking temp, flow, and print speed. Try printing the spinner without a raft or support. You can get nice bottom surfaces just from the BuildTak. Also, don't use the metal putty knife to get parts off the build surface. Use a plastic scrapper or plastic razor blade. I didn't realise the BuildTak surface was so "soft" until i did some major gouging on it. The sheet peels away easy enough from the plate though if you replace it.
Attachments
IMG_20190516_083010773.jpg

Vagulus

Postby Vagulus » Fri May 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Thanks PTXer
I'll keep playing with it.

Return to “Printing Settings”