PETG Print Imperfections

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jacobcatchen

PETG Print Imperfections

Postby jacobcatchen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Hello all, I have printed several things with PETG no issues but recently it seems on some of my prints I am having some surface imperfections. Where it should be flat, it appears there are small raised lumps and imperfections. Unfortunately for my print application I can’t have this. Like mentioned I have printed several bigger items but it appears the “flat” surfaces show small lumps as shown. Any help is appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpg

jacobcatchen

Re: PETG Print Imperfections

Postby jacobcatchen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 pm

As you can see most of the overall surface is fine but the channels show imperfections which is where I can’t have them..

PTXer

Postby PTXer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Is your filament dry?

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Mon May 27, 2019 4:43 am

jacobcatchen wrote:Hello all, I have printed several things with PETG no issues but recently it seems on some of my prints I am having some surface imperfections. Where it should be flat, it appears there are small raised lumps and imperfections. Unfortunately for my print application I can’t have this. Like mentioned I have printed several bigger items but it appears the “flat” surfaces show small lumps as shown. Any help is appreciated!

That looks like the filament is either not dry(has absorbed atmospheric moisture) OR you're printing a bit too hot with too few surface layers. Try knocking down the temp 5 degrees or so and see what that gets you. PETG needs to be dried before use because the glycol molecules(the G in PETG) will absorb moisture from the surrounding air and cause all manner of suboptimal things to happen to your prints.

See here for a discussion of the holes (AKA "pillowing"):
https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/1950 ... -pillowing

See here for a discussion of drying filament:
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/filament-and-water

HTH

Noren

Postby Noren » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 am

Print colder. Print with thicker layer height. And more top layers.
It might also be that your nozzle is a little low.

Return to “Printing Settings”