Turn the Heat Bed Off or Lower the BED Temp

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Casale8

Turn the Heat Bed Off or Lower the BED Temp

Postby Casale8 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I am curious if anyone has any consult or suggestions...

I always print with Raft (PLA or ABS) and have great success. Sometimes on long prints (of ABS only) the model warps a little and pulls away from the raft on the corners...

Printing ABS, I am thinking I should be able to lower the bed temp from 110°C after a few layers (after proving solid adhesion)?
Last edited by Casale8 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

crimsonyoshi

Re: Turn the Heat Bed Off

Postby crimsonyoshi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I don't think you can actually turn the heat bed off, but you absolutely can modify it. On the touch screen if you tap on the temperature circle, there should be an up and down arrow that pops up which allows you to set a new temperature from that point to the end of the print. You can modify it at any time after as well on the touch screen. I know it's 100% possible to do on the nozzles, but I will admit, I've never tried to do it on the heat bed.

Casale8

Re: Turn the Heat Bed Off

Postby Casale8 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:29 pm

crimsonyoshi wrote:I don't think you can actually turn the heat bed off, but you absolutely can modify it. On the touch screen if you tap on the temperature circle, there should be an up and down arrow that pops up which allows you to set a new temperature from that point to the end of the print. You can modify it at any time after as well on the touch screen. I know it's 100% possible to do on the nozzles, but I will admit, I've never tried to do it on the heat bed.

Or, What I really mean is to drop the temperature low enough to no longer be a factor in significant heating of the lower end of the model.

Manually is what I meant as well.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

crimsonyoshi

Re: Turn the Heat Bed Off or Lower the BED Temp

Postby crimsonyoshi » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Manually, my prior comment still stands. Try tapping on the bed temperature readout circle on the touchscreen and see if it lets you raise or lower it. Keep in mind though that depending on what material you're using, the bed also keeps the chamber warm if the lid is on!

PTXer

Postby PTXer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 pm

I've found (and let me qualify my statement by saying that I've only been doing 3D printing for a few months) that if I'm running a large piece and I turn the bed temp down after it's printed a couple centimeters high, the piece ends up pulling away from the bed as things cool. So I try to resist that urge and just leave it where it was originally set. Attached is a piece I'm currently printing out of PETG. I turned the bed temp down from 65 to 45 before I left last night and this morning this is what I got. Luckily the piece is still OK and hoping it will stay put for the next 21hrs.
Attachments
IMG_20190403_075948745.jpg

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm

PTXer wrote:I've found (and let me qualify my statement by saying that I've only been doing 3D printing for a few months) that if I'm running a large piece and I turn the bed temp down after it's printed a couple centimeters high, the piece ends up pulling away from the bed as things cool. So I try to resist that urge and just leave it where it was originally set. Attached is a piece I'm currently printing out of PETG. I turned the bed temp down from 65 to 45 before I left last night and this morning this is what I got. Luckily the piece is still OK and hoping it will stay put for the next 21hrs.

Interesting to note. Thanks PTXer.

I use glue so the adhesion from the bed isn't so much a concern. It's the separation of the Model from the Raft that is shocking to me... What I'm working with right now is ESD ABS from EXTECH - the resultant prints are pretty great as long as one doesn't use retraction greater than .5mm and super long prints (hence the topic).

Really I'm not seeking a direct answer from anyone, but insight on the practice.

Side Note, I've had success with PETG at 60 on first print. However, just haven't printed a whole lot with it.
-SCC

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Agreed with the raft pulling away. PLA I don't have much of a problem with, but PolySupport requires a high temperature and it absolutely will warp up to the nozzles if it cools down too much. I had a 1cm warp this morning on a PolySupport raft (PC-Max piece on top). Time to increase the raft density, and take isopropyl alcohol to the Buildtak surface!

I was able to confirm last night that you can manually modify the bed temp on the touchscreen as I posited earlier.

markm

Postby markm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:27 am

Just make a multi-process build, set however many layers you want at one bed temp and the rest at lower temps.

Return to “Printing Settings”