Top layer issues

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Polarbehr

Top layer issues

Postby Polarbehr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:05 am

I'm using an N2+ Dual and the factory default speed settings for the slicer. I have upgraded to the BondTech dual extruder but that was many months ago. The issues I'm seeing have started to creep up over the last couple months. The large line going from the left to the right at the downward angle is higher than the top layer. I've printed with and without a raft with the same results. When I did print with the raft the piece was extremely hard to separate that I needed to use the included scraper. I am using Pro PLA from Raise and it is a brand new roll. I have included an additional photo of a 1mm higher piece that I was printing. You can see in the picture the smooth left side transitions into a very textured right side. I included it as it seems the issues could be related. When I printed with a standard raft it, the raft, was perfectly smooth and didn't show any signs of what the part looks like.

Any help greatly appreciated because I know what this printer is capable of but I can't figure out what might have changed.

EDIT:

The small square finished printing and the top looks perfect.

zemlin

Re: Top layer issues

Postby zemlin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 am

Overextrusion. Around holes like that the surface fills in patches. Your ridge is where one patch stops and the next starts - they are printed at different times and the overextrusion builds up excess material. your test square paints the surface uninterrupted from one corner to the other. That's why the ridge isn't in that part.

Polarbehr

Postby Polarbehr » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply I'll check my settings again.

Still don't know why I get the textured layer only on one side during printing.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Polarbehr wrote:Still don't know why I get the textured layer only on one side during printing.

In that photo of the first layer, the bed is not true to the nozzle - where it gets too close you can get the squiggles. Backing down on the flow rate will help with that, but you might need to tweak the bed as well.

Return to “Printing Settings”