ABS/raft almost single part

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Timber Haint

ABS/raft almost single part

Postby Timber Haint » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:39 pm

If this has been answered before I'll take any links available as searching for this yielded a ton of results that were irrelevant.

When I print with Hatchbox ABS (the only kind of tried so far) and I use a raft, the raft is almost part of the print. What I mean by that is, it's almost impossible to get the raft off. It'll break off piece by piece leaving remnants that can only be sanded off if I don't want to destroy the print.

My first thought would be to increase the distance/space between the raft and the part.
A second guess would be that my ambient temperature or build plate temperature is too high causing the raft and the part to almost become one.

Suggestions or links?

crimsonyoshi

Re: ABS/raft almost single part

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Have you tried decreasing the density infill of the raft?

Timber Haint

Postby Timber Haint » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks! That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Let me know if it works out for you. I found in my experimentation that a wider nozzle (and by extension more support / model contact) makes it harder to remove support material for the same reason as a dense raft. 0.4mm might be slow, and chew up print time (and electricity), but it's super easy to remove if you don't have 100% infill contact!

Word of caution though - you don't want to decrease the raft infill by insane amounts. Remember when printing your first model layer, the plastic needs to adhere to something, and with a lower density, you create a grid instead of a flat surface. if the grid boxes are small enough, you won't have material sag in-between the grid mesh. If you don't have super fine detail going on in your first layer, you could likely get away with 35-50% infill values (and tbh, experiment with it - don't take my numbers as gospel).

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:36 pm

You have complete control of raft adhesion. There's a setting for the separation between the build and the raft. Don't have IM in front of me, so can't give you the exact name. Increase that. I often start with that at 80% of the layer height and adjust from there to get the raft adhesion I want. The integrity of the bottom layer also decreases and you increase that distance, so the likelihood of pulling off some small bits of the bottom layer can increase as well.

Timber Haint

Postby Timber Haint » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:24 pm

I've actually stopped using a raft for Hatchbox ABS. That stuff sticks SO well to the buildtak/glass that I decided to stop using a raft.

If I start seeing "elephant footing" then I might go back... I'll see.

As a side note, once I changed my first layer height (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13369) the prints still stick nicely, but aren't near as hard to get off the build plate. I'm guessing the closeness of the first layer was causing it to "over-adhere".

Return to “Printing Settings”