Hot to Improve Support Area Print Quality

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
wo4sunhao

Hot to Improve Support Area Print Quality

Postby wo4sunhao » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 pm

To specify, I mean the area of the part that is hundred percent supported by support structure. These areas of my print are always like messy lines. I tried to increase the support structure ration to 30% but it does not really help. I wonder how you guys solve this kind problem?

crimsonyoshi

Re: Hot to Improve Support Area Print Quality

Postby crimsonyoshi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm

So there's a few different ways. The support density will decrease the space between the wavy lines on the x-y plane, but not increase the thickness of them. Printing with a bigger nozzle will increase the support thickness. You really don't want thick support though as that does give better adhesion to the model, but it also makes it harder to remove.

If you're having problems with the support structure staying intact, add a z-hop of (layerHeight *1.25). I unfortunately can't publish pictures of a current project I'm printing (hopefully one day I can), but I am printing a 110 hour PLA model with PLA support, of 11" x-y larger dimensions and about 16" high with support structures reaching 2x2" by 15" high prior to contact with the model. Without z-hop, the support would occasionally fail in a few small random places about 6-7" up. With z-hop, I've had no problem with the default 0.4mm nozzle layering support 15" high on a single line column.

The reason for the lines to be the way they are is to allow the dense support layers to firmly adhere along a fairly uniform surface.

I believe there is a dropdown menu on the support tab allowing you to change the support structure (lines or grid), but that's basically it.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:19 pm

crimsonyoshi wrote:So there's a few different ways. The support density will decrease the space between the wavy lines on the x-y plane, but not increase the thickness of them. Printing with a bigger nozzle will increase the support thickness. You really don't want thick support though as that does give better adhesion to the model, but it also makes it harder to remove.

If you're having problems with the support structure staying intact, add a z-hop of (layerHeight *1.25). I unfortunately can't publish pictures of a current project I'm printing (hopefully one day I can), but I am printing a 110 hour PLA model with PLA support, of 11" x-y larger dimensions and about 16" high with support structures reaching 2x2" by 15" high prior to contact with the model. Without z-hop, the support would occasionally fail in a few small random places about 6-7" up. With z-hop, I've had no problem with the default 0.4mm nozzle layering support 15" high on a single line column.

The reason for the lines to be the way they are is to allow the dense support layers to firmly adhere along a fairly uniform surface.

I believe there is a dropdown menu on the support tab allowing you to change the support structure (lines or grid), but that's basically it.

May I ask you how to do you deal with this surface to make it flat and smooth within good dimension.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 pm

If your print bed is completely level, the support and model layers will be flat and smooth as well. I have a vertical offset value of 1.

For my PLA prints, I'm using the default PLA Standard profile provided by raise3D (current IdeaMaker version 3.3.0 as of this post timestamp), and everything works well. The only minor tweaks I'll make are the infill densities (support, and model), shell layers, and increased raft density to better adhere to the bed.

Edit: I’ve got one picture I can post. The horizontal line near the 50% height mark was a filament roll change out. It had no effect on the print job other than a visual demarcation line. I'm also not too sure why the bottom 1-2 support inches appear to be a bit wavy on the left side there, but this support structure worked great with use of a Z-hop

IMG_0894.jpg

Return to “Printing Settings”