Cannot print anything

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
harrelsontrumpets

Cannot print anything

Postby harrelsontrumpets » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

I have had my Pro2 Plus machine for one month. In that time, I have only had one print that didn't clog or jam on the first layer.

Is there anyone in the Denver area who would repair my almost new machine so that it works properly? I would pay a very fair fee to get this machine running. Otherwise, I will need to sell it and buy another Ultimaker.

thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Cannot print anything

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Have you tried to unclog your print head after meeting clogging issue?
Would you like to reach to our technicians at http://help.raise3d.com to share them more details about your issues and have them help?

harrelsontrumpets

Postby harrelsontrumpets » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Both extruders clog immediately after a print begins. Yes, I have unclogged them 37 times and they simply clog again within 5 seconds.

This printer is terrible. Why did I buy it? :(

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:03 pm

I rarely have clogging issues on Pro2Plus. That doesn't help you, I know - but it definitely is not the norm.

Clogging can be caused by a few things:

1) The temperature is either not getting hot enough, or is getting too hot. While super unlikely, you could have a problem with the thermocouples reading back the correct temperature of the hot end to the machine.

2) I know when I had a PLA print explode on me (bad vendor plastic with poor bed adhesion I think that problem was) the hot end ended up getting completely covered in PLA plastic. This caused cooling issues from the fans, and on successive prints some of my better PLA strands made it through for a bit (10% of a print - maybe 3-4 hours into the job) before the nozzle jammed up. On unloading the good filament, I discovered the PLA plastic expanded too much as it was entering the hot end which caused a jam. After replacing that hot end entirely with a new one, no issues.

3) Your fans could be running too slowly. If they fill up with spider web thick strands of PLA (or other plastic) from prints over time, they will not spin as fast. The main fan facing the front of the machine (touchscreen panel side that is) is the major culprit here. If it's not getting enough air to the heat sink on the nozzle, it will cause expansion of the material before it should happen. That will definitely lead to a jam.

4) You're not using the right temperature settings for your prints, or you're retracting too far up. I don't know what templates you're using, but try using one of the default standard templates offered in idea maker 3.3.0 (and latest motion + touchscreen firmware on the printer as well). If you already are, ignore this one.

5) Make sure both in the printer settings in idea maker, and your extrusion width / layer height match what size your nozzle is, as well as the appropriate layer height. For a 0.4mm default nozzle, you should be using 0.2mm layer height. If your extrusion width is too great, the filament feeder gear will turn faster as bigger nozzles can extrude more filament quicker. That will overwhelm a smaller nozzle quickly.

6) Make sure your bed isn't too close to the nozzle. That 0.2mm gap is really hard to get, but you should be able to slide the 0.2mm high metal piece included with the printer between the bed and the nozzle. It should have a tiny bit of resistance before you're able to slide it between the nozzles and bed, but if it requires a bunch of force or you can't get it between those two at all, then the nozzle is too close to the bed. If that happens, the extruded PLA doesn't really have anywhere to go, so it will back up in the nozzle and clog.

Start with this list, and as Vicky has said - definitely give tech support a call. Their team is quite helpful.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:13 pm

After fan mods no issues at all. But PLA is ugly filament for Pro2. ABS, PETG, Polycarbon, and other nor problem at all.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Tbh, I have yet to have a problem with Raise3D PLA filament in the Pro 2 printer. It's given me awesome prints so far!

Return to “Printing Settings”