NylonX printing on Raise3D Pro V2

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
paul@damato.us

NylonX printing on Raise3D Pro V2

Postby paul@damato.us » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm

I am struggling printing NylonX on my Raise 3D Pro V2. I am using the settings suggested on Matterhackers, but the print is peeling up. Here are the settings I am using:

Bed temperature: 60c
Extruder Temp: 260c
No fan cooling
Used PVA purple glue stick on heat bed
Printed with raft
Print speed: 80mm/sec

I can get a few layers working on a thin print but anything thick is peeling up. Printing NylonX or another strong carbon fiber filament was a big reason I bought the Raise 3D Pro, so I would really like to get this working.

Thank you!

Paul

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: NylonX printing on Raise3D Pro V2

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:15 am

Have you double confirmed the Z offset for the nozzles?
Have you tried other types of glues? Such as PVP glue?
Such as the following two:
https://www.amazon.com/HOOV-Purpose-Cyl ... s=PVP+glue
https://www.amazon.com/Treading-branded ... s=PVP+glue

BendPro

Postby BendPro » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:34 pm

You really need to use garolite sheet as a build plate. Nylonx will NOT stick to Buildtak. This is the sheet that I ordered and cut to fit the bed (https://www.mcmaster.com/9910t16).
You can purchase double stick sheets on Amazon (Gizmo Dorks 3M 468MP Adhesive Transfer Tape Sheets).
I ordered an extra build plate base to do this on, you just need to remember to re-zero whenever you switch plates.

Hope this helps. Ken

paul@damato.us

Postby paul@damato.us » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you for the feedback. The Z axis height was definitely part of the problem. Follow the suggestions I also switched from the purple glue to the Deli PVP glue (player vs. player?). I have had some good success now, but it's still a bit quirky. I am intrigued by the idea of a second build surface with either glass or garolite. Here are my current working settings for other people working on this:

Extruder temp: 265c
Heat Bed temp: 65c
Deli PVP glue on the bed
No cooling fan
First layer height: .05mm
First layer speed: 12.5mm/sec
First layer flowrate: 180%
Default printing speed: 50mm/sec
Platform additions: Brim only, 8 brim lines, printer outer shell first.

mb300sd

Postby mb300sd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:52 am

I've had some pretty good results printing NylonX on the N2+ with much higher than the recommended bed temperatures, 110C and heated enclosure at 125F. Really minimizes the warping. Might have some negative effects on bridging and overhangs, but the parts I'm printing are designed to avoid them.

elzury128

Postby elzury128 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:56 am

Hi Friend,

I would like to know if you made the Garolite or glass test? Did it work?

I'm using Garolite sheet from Matter Hackers (Garolite Build Surface 13.07" x 13.39") however I haven't good results printing Nylon large blocks. I considering to buy garolite sheet from McMaster (9910T11) that is thinner and hope to get best results. Other option I've heard is to use a wood surface.

Regards.

EZ.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

I print a lot of Nylon variants from Taulman and have printed a lot of Carbon nylon from 3dxtech on my other printers as there is no viable nozzle for the Pro2. Don't bother with Buildtak - it's just useless.

PEI with glue stick works fine for nylonx as it doesn't warp as much as say 910. You have to stick with a LOW bed temp - 45-50 seems to work best for getting nylon to stick well to the PEI/glue stick combo. The first layer needs to be spot on - not squished but flat - you will need to play with the first layer extrusion settings for a few hours (or days) to get it right as Raise seems absolutely obstinate on getting with the program with auto bed leveling and z micro step adjustments. Or you can experiment with a lower gap - get a set of metric feelers that span 0-1mm in 0.05 increments. Gapping the nozzle at 0.15 instead of 0.2 with the nozzle and bed at temp helps a lot. Printing a skirt may also be necessary.

Garolite/FR4/ or any other fiber reinforced epoxy laminate works very well also but you have to scuff the surface well before you use it and stick to the same 45-50° temps with Elmer's glue stick. You can buy these laminates very cheaply from sources other then Matterhackers - $50 for a sheet of epoxy laminate is robbery.

Geckotek is also excellent for nylons at a low temp of 45-50 - no glue required - I would strongly recommend this option as it works very well for a number of other polymers.

-john

p.s. Raise engineering team - G29 - read about it.

elzury128

Postby elzury128 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks for the info Jhon,

The Geckotek option sounds good, about the Matter Hackers Garolite I had to remove it due to definitely it didn't work with Nylon. I've been testing with poplar wood and Elmer's purple glue, it looks ok however the 40mm cube test is little warped by one corner (not bad).

Regards.

EZ.

Return to “Printing Settings”