Printing ABS

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
HBanaHoll

Printing ABS

Postby HBanaHoll » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:38 am

Hi,
I've been trying to print ABS on the N2+ dual extruder, and the prints keep warping and coming loose from the build plate and just being dragged around by the extruder.
I've used both the standard and speed ABS print settings that are built into the IdeaMaker settings my prints tend to only make it to just past the raft before releasing from the build plate. I've also tried it with a brim, and these get farther through the print but still end up releasing.
I've had some luck with smaller ABS prints but this may just be because they finish before it releases from the plate. There have been no problems with printing PLA only ABS. I was hoping for some suggestions on printing ABS without the builds releasing.

Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Printing ABS

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Please double confirm the distance between your nozzle and build plate is proper. You can adjust it to be a little closer than PLA when printing ABS.
And do clean the build surface before printing. Make sure that has no oil, lube on the build surface which may affect adhesion of build surface.
You also can try a little higher bed temperature.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:57 pm

All ABS filaments are not created equal. I've had good luck with Hatchbox. My current go-to is eSun ABS+. I never got good results on larger parts with eSun ABS. I have tried other ABS filaments and had warp issues. What bed temp are you running - and do you have the fan covers installed, doors closed, top on the machine?

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:39 pm

In my experience Buildtak isn't worth a darn for ABS. Assuming you are using the Buildtak side of the build plate, flip it over and print on the glass side and use glue stick.

I print all sorts of difficult-adhesion ABS pieces and never have a part come loose with various brands. Set buildplate temp to 100, extruder to 252 or so, fan off, and doors closed.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:49 am

EldRick wrote:In my experience Buildtak isn't worth a darn for ABS

My go-to surface for ABS and PETG is PEI.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:52 am

Pro Plus 2 and Raise ABS everything works perfect.

Return to “Printing Settings”