Gaps and holes in top surface.

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
patman

Gaps and holes in top surface.

Postby patman » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Hi and thank you for making such an awesome printer. I have a Pro2 extended and have developed a top surface problem that I can't seem to figure out. There are gaps in the top surface that along with gaps in the previous layer result in small holes that I'm unable to resolve in post processing. I've tried many of the suggestions on this forum and also used Vicky's setting posted here and the problem still persists. I Installed a new hot end with nozzle, checked the pinch roller tension all to no avail.

Would you be able to help me resolve this?

Thank you.

IMG-1302.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

Ryan@Raise3D

Re: Gaps and holes in top surface.

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:40 am

For this issue I have a few questions

1 Are you using the stock nozzle or has it been changed out for a larger nozzle diameter?

2 Can you let me know what material and brand you are printing with?

3 Can I have you try checking the gantry for any binding by first navigating to the utilities menu of the touch screen and press the Icon with a red X through it to disable the stepper motors then can I have you move the print head around the printer by hand and let me know if you feel any binding or resistance?

patman

Postby patman » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 pm

Ryan, Thanks for getting back.

I keep some oem Raise3D parts on hand, so the new hotend is a new Raise3d hotend with a .4 nozzle and silicone. The problem happened before changing hotends, and I hoped changing the hotend would correct this. The filament is Raise3D Black ABS, and I also tried an off brand ABS in Red and the problem persists. I can move the gantry freely, though there is some resistance, I don't know what's allowable.

Thanks, Patman

patman

Postby patman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:12 pm

Here are some better pictures of the problem. As great as this printer is, I've never had a great flat top surface and it always required extensive post processing, but now with the amount of small holes this is unable to be resolved in post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and in the meantime I'll have to reroute my print jobs to our work/university printers.

Please help me get going again.

Thank you,
Patman

R3D_Gaps_01_zoom.jpg

R3D_Gaps_01_resize.jpg

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:58 am

From the way the holes look it is very likely that one of your couplers is breaking as it looks like the print head is moving more along one axis than the other. I reccomend following this guide to gain access to the 2 couplers for the X and Y axis and see if one is broken.
https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series ... 4-685.html

Return to “Printing Settings”