Conversion from 0.4 to 0.8 nozzle surface not beautiful

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
ChrisRaise

Conversion from 0.4 to 0.8 nozzle surface not beautiful

Postby ChrisRaise » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 am

Hello, I'm from Germany. I have converted the right nozzle to 0.8 on my Pro2. Unfortunately, the surface (top layer) looks ugly. In the settings, I have adjusted the nozzle size and extrusion width. What else can I do?
Attachments
456634DE-C79E-419E-BD41-EF886BF68492.jpeg
1D962B8A-6F41-459B-9064-8CC8455463C4.jpeg
738DE28B-478D-44D5-9852-62788B818258.jpeg

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Conversion from 0.4 to 0.8 nozzle surface not beautiful

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:22 am

ChrisRaise wrote:Hello, I'm from Germany. I have converted the right nozzle to 0.8 on my Pro2. Unfortunately, the surface (top layer) looks ugly. In the settings, I have adjusted the nozzle size and extrusion width. What else can I do?

Would you be able to provide me with a Gcode file from one of the models that you showed the images? I would assume the machine didn't have any issues before switching to the larger nozzle?

ChrisRaise

Postby ChrisRaise » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:48 pm

that was not before the renovation. I have an additional question: how can I adjust the height difference of the nozzles?
Attachments
Teswürfel Filament.gcode
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 5 times

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:43 pm

ChrisRaise wrote:that was not before the renovation. I have an additional question: how can I adjust the height difference of the nozzles?

What type of material is being printed in the original images that you posted? Based on your Gcode it looks like your current settings are not quite set up right for printing with a larger nozzle.

ChrisRaise

Postby ChrisRaise » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:35 pm

Steven@Raise3D wrote:
ChrisRaise wrote:that was not before the renovation. I have an additional question: how can I adjust the height difference of the nozzles?

What type of material is being printed in the original images that you posted? Based on your Gcode it looks like your current settings are not quite set up right for printing with a larger nozzle.

It is PLA filament from Raise 3D.
What other settings can I change?

Can you also tell me why the distance between the 0.4 nozzle and the 0.8 nozzle is different? At the moment I always set a Z offset and print only with one nozzle. Switching every time should not become the standard.

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:42 am

ChrisRaise wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:

Can you also tell me why the distance between the 0.4 nozzle and the 0.8 nozzle is different? At the moment I always set a Z offset and print only with one nozzle. Switching every time should not become the standard.

Please try using the premade template available here: https://www.ideamaker.io/detail/1641-pro2-series

The Z offset will be different from the standard 0.4mm nozzle diameter. Typically with larger nozzles because you are extruding more plastic you want your Z-offset to be a little further away from the bed. I would still suggest using the 0.2mm feller gauge as a starting point, the nozzle should just be barely making contact with the gauge for larger nozzles. That should be a good starting point. If you find that your prints are sticking a little too well you can always adjust it to be a little further away.

ChrisRaise

Postby ChrisRaise » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 am

Steven@Raise3D wrote:
ChrisRaise wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:

Please try using the premade template available here: https://www.ideamaker.io/detail/1641-pro2-series

The Z offset will be different from the standard 0.4mm nozzle diameter. Typically with larger nozzles because you are extruding more plastic you want your Z-offset to be a little further away from the bed. I would still suggest using the 0.2mm feller gauge as a starting point, the nozzle should just be barely making contact with the gauge for larger nozzles. That should be a good starting point. If you find that your prints are sticking a little too well you can always adjust it to be a little further away.

I set a Z distance of 0.14mm for the 0.4 nozzle in the software. With the 0.8 nozzle, I have to set a distance of 0.27mm. But what if I do a dual print? Which offset value should I set?

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 am

ChrisRaise wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:
ChrisRaise wrote:

I set a Z distance of 0.14mm for the 0.4 nozzle in the software. With the 0.8 nozzle, I have to set a distance of 0.27mm. But what if I do a dual print? Which offset value should I set?

We typically do not suggest adjusting the Z offset value via the software as it will only adjust the offset for that particular filament template. I would suggest adjusting the value on the physical machine with the Z-offset thumb screw.

Return to “Printing Settings”