Issues with bridging with PC and PETG

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
anlambe2

Issues with bridging with PC and PETG

Postby anlambe2 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:06 pm

Hi All,

I have been trying to perform some calibration tests on a Pro2 Plus. Using a PEI sheet with PC, my temperature tests are absolutely garbage. The bridge never completes correctly. I have the same issue with the temp test bridge a BuildTak sheet with my PETG. Picture attached of a PC run (black filament) With some temp ranges as well as a PETG run (blue filament) with some information. I print both of these on the 0.4mm nozzle on my right extruder. Left extruder completely off. I am wondering if I need to bump the flow rate up. I tried messing with bridge speeds but I did not see much if any improvement. Please advise on where I can start to dial this in.
Attachments
20210902_175746.jpg
20210901_155253.jpg

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Issues with bridging with PC and PETG

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:41 am

anlambe2 wrote:Hi All,

I have been trying to perform some calibration tests on a Pro2 Plus. Using a PEI sheet with PC, my temperature tests are absolutely garbage. The bridge never completes correctly. I have the same issue with the temp test bridge a BuildTak sheet with my PETG. Picture attached of a PC run (black filament) With some temp ranges as well as a PETG run (blue filament) with some information. I print both of these on the 0.4mm nozzle on my right extruder. Left extruder completely off. I am wondering if I need to bump the flow rate up. I tried messing with bridge speeds but I did not see much if any improvement. Please advise on where I can start to dial this in.

The settings will vary from material to material. This video goes into pretty good detail on how to adjust the bridging settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAMFamy3zw

svandru

Postby svandru » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:02 am

Bridging speed won't affect the outcome. I do not understand what ideaMaker considers a bridge, but you will probably find that nothing in that model is considered a bridge if you check it in the structure preview...

PETG and PC (especially) are hygroscopic. Even brand new vacuum sealed spools can be too damp. I dry every spool I buy except for PLA. If you are using the same nozzle with the different filaments, you could also have a nozzle clog. The bottom of that PC tower looks like you are definitely not laying down enough filament, more so than the few percent you might adjust flow rate.

I am mostly familiar with PETG, so I will just talk about that. Your prints look pretty bad all over, not just the bridges. There are odd strings on the sidewall and at the corners of the overhang; it doesn't look very glossy, either. You did not say what brand filament you are using, but the Raise3D PETG template sets the nozzle to 255° and the fan at 100%. Maybe you are starting too cold if you are using their filament. I don't have a Raise3D printer myself. I use PolyMaker PolyLite at 230° with 50% fan and my generic templates use 240°/50%.

Whenever I test a new filament, I start at the halfway point in the manufacturer's recommended temp range and a speed of 45mm/sec (less for flexibles) everywhere but the first layer where I use 30mm/sec. I start with basic recommendations for cooling (PLA 100%, PETG 50%, ABS/PC/Nylon 0%, etc.). My first print is a 20mm square, 10mm tall open-top box with a 2 perimeter/1mm thick wall (no infill) to test for a good first layer, gloss, stringiness, accurate dimensions and flow rate. The box only takes 7 minutes, so I could print quite a few in the 2 hours it takes to print one temperature tower. When I am satisfied with the box, I move to a very small vase-mode model to check for cooling. Then I print a swatch card for future reference. Finally a Benchy to verify everything. I no longer bother printing temperature towers unless I have a specific problem to work out such as overhang or bridging.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful.

anlambe2

Postby anlambe2 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:35 am

svandru wrote:Bridging speed won't affect the outcome. I do not understand what ideaMaker considers a bridge, but you will probably find that nothing in that model is considered a bridge if you check it in the structure preview...

PETG and PC (especially) are hygroscopic. Even brand new vacuum sealed spools can be too damp. I dry every spool I buy except for PLA. If you are using the same nozzle with the different filaments, you could also have a nozzle clog. The bottom of that PC tower looks like you are definitely not laying down enough filament, more so than the few percent you might adjust flow rate.

I am mostly familiar with PETG, so I will just talk about that. Your prints look pretty bad all over, not just the bridges. There are odd strings on the sidewall and at the corners of the overhang; it doesn't look very glossy, either. You did not say what brand filament you are using, but the Raise3D PETG template sets the nozzle to 255° and the fan at 100%. Maybe you are starting too cold if you are using their filament. I don't have a Raise3D printer myself. I use PolyMaker PolyLite at 230° with 50% fan and my generic templates use 240°/50%.

Whenever I test a new filament, I start at the halfway point in the manufacturer's recommended temp range and a speed of 45mm/sec (less for flexibles) everywhere but the first layer where I use 30mm/sec. I start with basic recommendations for cooling (PLA 100%, PETG 50%, ABS/PC/Nylon 0%, etc.). My first print is a 20mm square, 10mm tall open-top box with a 2 perimeter/1mm thick wall (no infill) to test for a good first layer, gloss, stringiness, accurate dimensions and flow rate. The box only takes 7 minutes, so I could print quite a few in the 2 hours it takes to print one temperature tower. When I am satisfied with the box, I move to a very small vase-mode model to check for cooling. Then I print a swatch card for future reference. Finally a Benchy to verify everything. I no longer bother printing temperature towers unless I have a specific problem to work out such as overhang or bridging.

Good luck and I hope this is helpful.

Thanks! This is some incredibly helpful information. The Raise3D PETG Filament I bought says 230-240C on the box. I find it interesting that at 245C my temp tower had the best quality. I will definitely be running some more trouble shooting with higher temperatures and adjusting other things. The first layer of the bridging space of this temp test is considered a bridge on the slicer, which is why I thought it is mainly a bridging problem.

Can you share your small box you use to test?

svandru

Postby svandru » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Can you share your small box you use to test?

I'm happy to share my little box. Here it is:
Attachments
Flow Rate Hemi-Cube.stl
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 4 times

Return to “Printing Settings”