Supports

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
mnew

Supports

Postby mnew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 pm

I am having problems with supports leaving marks behind after removal.
There seem to be lots of settings but I have no idea the consequences of these.

How do I avoid / minimise this without using fancy support filaments?

supports.JPG

crimsonyoshi

Re: Supports

Postby crimsonyoshi » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:43 pm

What materials are you using (part and support)?

mnew

Postby mnew » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Raise3D PLA for both same nozzle.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Which slicing software and printing template you are using? Is there any chance to share some screenshot of your settings here?

mnew

Postby mnew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm

For Grey PLA 0.1 layer raft and TP suport-export.bin
settings
(14.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
For Grey PLA 0.1 layer raft and TP suport-export.bin
settings
(14.57 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
I am useing ideamaker 3.3.0 with the default support settings.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Downloaded your profile and compare with default template, seems that you have edited some settings from the original settings, such as you are using Grid type for your support. Have you tried Line type support? Doesn't work well with your prints?

Russ406

Postby Russ406 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:24 pm

You'll never get amazing surface quality where support is used. I've used "dense support layers" set to 2 or 3 w/ 80% infill w/ decent success. Another thing I do often is cut the model up so no support is needed (or minimal) and then use printed dowel pins to and glue to put it back together. This won't always give a perfect meet up at the joint though, most my prints are painted anyways so I generally just use epoxy as my glue and it also fills the voids.

Edit: I went back and looked at your pictures. It seems that you may still have some support actually connected to the model. You may also want to tinker w/ the "Vertical Offset Top layer" on the support tab in ideamaker. I pretty much always leave this at one, which I think is the default but it may help in your situation.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm

Not entirely true. I've got pictures in older threads here using PLA support on PLA models, and the support comes right off leaving a fairly nice face on the model. I'll give that it's not perfect as without supports, but it's pretty darn close! If you're looking for the thread / pictures, I have a red wheel cap in PLA prior to doing it in polycarbonate that came out great. (And on a side note, I've got better settings I need to upload for my polycarbonate stuff).

I would agree that it appears your support isn't detaching, and vertical offset layers might help. For PLA prints, I have mine set to 1, so there's a 0.2mm gap between the model and the support on extrusion. This doesn't get me a precisely printed model, but for my tolerances so far, that's completely acceptable.

Either that, or there's minor warping happening and there's mushing going on between layers (in the same wheel cap thread in this forum, I've got pictures showing the warping and grinding / fusing of material).

Return to “Printing Settings”