Printing directly on the bed without a RAFT?

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
poldim

Printing directly on the bed without a RAFT?

Postby poldim » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm still on my original filament that came with my N2. Everything I've tried to do to print without the RAFT does not seem to be working and it's adding a lot of time to the overall build. I'd like to figure out how I can print without it.

If you are successfully printing without the raft, can you share your settings of how you're achieving this? Any downsides?

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Printing directly on the bed without a RAFT?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 pm

If you don't want to print Raft, then it will have very high demands for your accurate bed levelness and good build surface adhesion.
Please make sure that you have double confirm the bed levelness of your print bed, especially for the area is going to plate your model on. As there normally the first layer of Raft is about double thicker than the first layer of the model.
And clean your build surface in case there has any oil or dust on it which will affect adhesion.

tja

Postby tja » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

I have an N1 and I never use a raft. Where possible I print directly onto glass - PETG and TPU work well like this. PLA usually needs Buildtak or some such to get adhesion.

I take care levelling the bed, using 1 thickness of regular 80gsm inkjet printer paper as the 'feeler gauge'. Then print the first layer around 0.2mm thick (with a 0.4 nozzle). To get filament to stick to glass I use a bed temp of 80C.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 pm

If you're printing PLA without the raft, the standard PLA default profile works great. But, I've changed my bed height relative to the nozzle so that when you measure with the 0.2mm metal piece, it requires a little bit of persuading to fit between the nozzle and print bed. So the separation distance is a little under 0.2mm. Other than that, you still need to make sure your model has enough contact with the bed so it doesn't become unattached during the print.

poldim

Postby poldim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 pm

crimsonyoshi wrote:If you're printing PLA without the raft, the standard PLA default profile works great. But, I've changed my bed height relative to the nozzle so that when you measure with the 0.2mm metal piece, it requires a little bit of persuading to fit between the nozzle and print bed. So the separation distance is a little under 0.2mm. Other than that, you still need to make sure your model has enough contact with the bed so it doesn't become unattached during the print.

Are you using standard 100% feedrate for the first layer? I've had a ton of problems with the print slipping after it's a half hour-ish into the print.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I haven't modified the federate from the default profile. I'm using the included BuildTak surface, but I've found wiping it down with warm water (and then a dry microfiber cloth after while giving it a little bit of scrubbing force on the drying part) seems to fix any adhering issues. I've been doing that about every 7-10 prints. I should note I'm just using my treated well water, and not distilled or anything like that.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 pm

A raft is just a crutch for sloppy practice and poorly designed bed material.
Flip the build plate over so glass side is up, use the glue stick that came with the printer, and adjust the first layer height so you can see the extrusion being pushed onto the build plate.

Russ406

Postby Russ406 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 pm

You can also consider blue painters tape. Works great for me. I print the the buildtak bed all the time w/o a raft using blue painter tape (PLA). I print directly the buildtak w/ ABS. Getting the Offset and level right is key though.

Return to “Printing Settings”