Print Failed... Offset 2" to the left??

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
Biggeek

Re: Print Failed... Offset 2" to the left??

Postby Biggeek » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Yeah found the z-hop but when I change it to the smallest amount.. .001mm the print goes form a 2hr 54min print to over 151hrs.. so yeah thats not gonna work for me :P

Andy Cohen wrote:I'd agree with Jetguy. You're having feed issues long before any offset issues.
and "Z Hop" is in the "Ooze" panel after you go into Advanced, when you edit a profile.

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:11 am

OK tried the pinch test.. not grinding or skipping.. I cant hold the filament back.. but the motor doesnt skip either..just keeps pulling the filament through. I felt like I would bend/break something at that point.. lots of force dragging that through... any other ideas?

Jetguy wrote:Ok, do the pinch test.

Pull up the guide tube so that bare filament is exposed entering the extruder.
Use the load menu on the LCD and begin loading.
Grab the filament between your fingers and try to stop the filament from being pulled in. This should cause the motor to skip steps.
If not, it grinds the filament. If it grinds the filament, unload the filament.
Remove the front acrylic cover
Loosen the 4 M3 screws holding the motor.
Use a set of pliers and pull the end of the motor shaft nearer the M3 holding the V groove idler.
Now while doing that, tighten the 4 motor screws.
The drive gear should be closer than before to the V groove bearing.
If not, you need to follow the shim mod that basically angles the motor making it closer.
Repeat until the motor skips steps instead of grinding.

jmp

Postby jmp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:26 am

Biggeek wrote:OK tried the pinch test.. not grinding or skipping.. I cant hold the filament back.. but the motor doesnt skip either..just keeps pulling the filament through. I felt like I would bend/break something at that point.. lots of force dragging that through... any other ideas?

Use a pair of pliers to hold onto the filament so it doesn't slip through your fingers. You do need to know what happens first, the grinding or the clicking.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:19 am

The filament snapped when I did that. Pulled it right through. So still no grinding or stepping... Not sure what that means?

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:11 am

what temperature are you printing at?

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 am

The default temp for med quality pla. I believe it's 215? I'm using the default settings, Raise3D filament and there is no stepping or grinding like u I said.

If you look at the first set of pics I posted you'll see it printed 1 side of the model nicely then the other sides have steps and very rough. Then it did whatever it's doing on every print now...makes a huge mess of everything.

I can print the cslibration cube at high quality and med quality without problems. That's about it.

John@Raise3D wrote:what temperature are you printing at?

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 am

Biggeek wrote:The default temp for med quality pla. I believe it's 215? I'm using the default settings, Raise3D filament and there is no stepping or grinding like u I said.

If you look at the first set of pics I posted you'll see it printed 1 side of the model nicely then the other sides have steps and very rough. Then it did whatever it's doing on every print now...makes a huge mess of everything.

I can print the cslibration cube at high quality and med quality without problems. That's about it.

John@Raise3D wrote:what temperature are you printing at?

Try the z hop function. The time estimation is off. Even it takes longer for sure, but not 75 times.

jmp

Postby jmp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Biggeek wrote:The filament snapped when I did that. Pulled it right through. So still no grinding or stepping... Not sure what that means?

If the filament snapped when you held it with pliers I'm guessing that the grip is OK.
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Can you share the stl file with us???

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:06 am

Andy Cohen wrote:Can you share the stl file with us???

He will, but it's a part I've printed a dozen times already. I've been trying to help biggeek with his problems, since I'm the one that recommended R3D to him.

But I'm running out of ideas. We've tried 2 different R3D filaments, with and without a guide, 1 part at a time, etc.

The print quality seems shitty, its shifting and it seems to knock the parts over...

Biggeek will post some pics from our experiments later, but we could use some real help, before he takes a bat to it...

Thanks

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:24 am

OK so we have been trying.. gonna cry..or take a bat out :P

So the parts I put on...not very tall..been printed many times before..
2016-04-06 11.22.11.jpg

Then I tried 1 model...just a tube..great..worked yay...
2016-04-05 21.41.35.jpg

Then I tried 1 part with a few curves and flats on it...not a great print.."wobbly" and "steps?" all over..
2016-04-06 13.12.02.jpg
2016-04-06 13.19.20.jpg

Tried a different filament colour.. cause the first 2 prints I did..big pieces...lots of hours printed well with this filament....and same problem :(...
2016-04-06 15.01.30.jpg

I'm outta ideas...so its a really expensive machine that makes a fan noise and takes up my corner space right now :(

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:11 am

Yup, I'm outta ideas too. I recommend he take the cover off the power supply, try another print like that. Maybe point a fan at that too, but he's not printing ABS, and it's not 100 degrees in the office.

John? Jetguy? We need some heavy hitters for help...

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:15 am

Please email me the gcode file and the stl file. support@raise3d.com
By the mean time, try print something else, not thin and tall like this one.

Duplicat

Postby Duplicat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:27 am

de;eted
Last edited by Duplicat on Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:11 am

I took the cover off and opened the side of the printer and the print looks much better..but still has the wobble..

So I will try to "fix" it with your suggestions..when I have some time :P I was hoping this was going to be better than the Z18...

I'll change the raft/base part as well and Andy's blower mod..I would need a printer that actually worked to print it right? catch22 :P

And yes rgriesbeck has printed these pieces for over a year on his makerbots and his new N2.. so its not the models

And not printing tall things is not an option.. as suggested by someone... I bought an N2+ so I could specifically print tall things... I even cut up that first tall print into 7 pieces so it wouldn't fail.... It would be nice to print it all in one piece.. like it should be able to?

Anyway I will try your suggestions..what I can and post up, but I'm open to try other suggestions too..just not.."hey dont print tall thin pieces"

Duplicat wrote:Improved CPU ventilation sounds like a good place to start.
I can't get url to post here. Search the Muut forum for "motion controller blower noise reduction" (It also has a google-group link in it.)
DSC03619.JPG
Vent+mod.jpg

or 2. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1329744

What is strange,, is that the pics of the 2 finished pieces,, it shows that it tried to recovered register position.
It's the same problem,, even with different filament,, but not exactly in the same locations and/or degree of severity.

But, if that doesn't fix it,,, some additional optional mods would atleast eliminate other variables. So,, might as well throw these out there too:
(Biggeek has twice as much experience as I do,, so forgive me if these bases have already been covered)

- Has rgriesbeck tried the same print on his printer ??
- Add ceramic wrap to heater-block (prevent radiant heat from causing curls)
-raise3d-Ld0M-dsc03655.jpg.jpg

- (pla) Fan duct plate/blocker is NOT installed ??
- Add Andy's blower mod. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1355622/#remixes
- Loose the "raft",, and switch to extra-wide "brim". Any gap between the raft and bottom of print,, could be enough to cause the taller objects to wobble,, crash with nozzle,, and skip steps (not totally convinced that is what is happening)

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:43 am

Ha, just trying to isolate the problem to see whether it only has problem when printing tall things.
If your buddy's N2 prints this model fine, then it is most likely not the file. Either mechanical or electrical.
Electrical: try additional cooling to the stepper driver and see how that improves.
Mechanical: 1: loose screws or belts somewhere; 2: lack of lubrication; 3: nozzle bumps into the model; 4: filament can't be released from spool easily. Check through all these things and see whether you can find anything.
Other than these, try print it at a slower speed and see how it helps; try print 2 of them at once and see how it helps; cut the bottom part of the file and print the top part only and see whether this can be printed well.

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:56 pm

I know.. jut I bought the tallest printer..so I could print tall prints :)

SO I opened up the case, took the back panel right off.. and pointed a fan directly at the stepper drivers..

Lubrication like I said is all over the printer...so good there

No belts are loose that I can find

Nozzle does not bump into the model at all..watched it closely for the hour it took to print..nothing

Filament is releasing fine.. no top on.. was only a small amount hanging there that wasn't even on the spool..so literally no friction to the driver on the hotend..

And again I end up with almost the exact same thing.. funny thing is..yeah funny...:( It printed the first 3 models I put through it (40hr + prints) tall wide..etc 12"x10x11" prints.. just fine.. thought I had a winner :(
2016-04-07 20.15.44.jpg

John@Raise3D wrote:Ha, just trying to isolate the problem to see whether it only has problem when printing tall things.
If your buddy's N2 prints this model fine, then it is most likely not the file. Either mechanical or electrical.
Electrical: try additional cooling to the stepper driver and see how that improves.
Mechanical: 1: loose screws or belts somewhere; 2: lack of lubrication; 3: nozzle bumps into the model; 4: filament can't be released from spool easily. Check through all these things and see whether you can find anything.
Other than these, try print it at a slower speed and see how it helps; try print 2 of them at once and see how it helps; cut the bottom part of the file and print the top part only and see whether this can be printed well.

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 am

Sorry to post again so quick.. but

Like I said the first 3 prints worked great.. only thing different now is the software...

Is there any way I can roll back to my original software and firmware? I'd like to see if this makes a difference..

Here is a pic from my second print.. to give you an idea of how it used to print...in the good old days :P

2016-04-08 17.01.03.jpg

John@Raise3D wrote:Ha, just trying to isolate the problem to see whether it only has problem when printing tall things.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:15 am

Have you checked every set screw on every gear??? One of mine were loose when I got my N2.

With power off or steppers disengaged, does the carriage move evenly and smoothly by hand???

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:18 am

I went through every nut and bolt on this thing.

And yep it moves freely in all directions. Like I said I've gone this with my Z18....so I'm running out of ideas :(

Andy Cohen wrote:Have you checked every set screw on every gear??? One of mine were loose when I got my N2.

With power off or steppers disengaged, does the carriage move evenly and smoothly by hand???

Return to “Others”