Printing in TPU

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
Andy Cohen

Printing in TPU

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed May 11, 2016 3:48 pm

aka NinjaFlex. The pic is with Sainsmart TPU.
The N2 with V2 prints it real nice. Make it hotter... 230C, downward fan at about 70%, hbp at 40C and print speed down to 20mm/s. Travel speed down to about 50mm/s. You may also want to up retraction a touch since at that heat and that speed you will get threads.
Attachments
IMG_3913.JPG

John@Raise3D

Re: Printing in TPU

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed May 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Awesome print!

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Wed May 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I love Sainsmart's TPU, great stuff, great colors, and easier to print in my experience than Ninjaflex. I have printers that will print Sainsmart but not Ninja. Polyflex is also a very easy-to-print elastomer, but a little stiffer than Sainsmart and not much color choice.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 11, 2016 4:52 pm

A good listing and comparison of the various flexible materials.
http://my3dmatter.com/what-is-the-best- ... ing-needs/

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 pm

My problem with flexible filaments is that I never have an object which would need to flex!

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Thu May 12, 2016 3:32 pm

I was involved in a specialized cymbal hardware project a few years ago when Ninja first came out - it was a godsend. Just did another one needing a strong but flexible collet mechanism, and Taulman PCTPE was perfect for it. Misc shop stuff - rubber feet, pipe caps, etc. And I just love the way things printed in Sainsmart's clear colors look like gummi bears :)

IMG_9931_600.jpg

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri May 13, 2016 4:55 pm

ooooh nice!

Anyone tried dual extruding with ninja/ flexible? THinking of things like grip pads on solid parts, etc

AR_LA

Postby AR_LA » Fri May 13, 2016 6:59 pm

That possibility is why I bought a dual head.

I asked Airwolf reps about it because I was going to get an axiom at first because they showed parts with flexible inlays... But they said they just glued them in place and never tested how well they'd adhere together.

I'd think you'd need to model the rubber part to be physically locked in place for insurance.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sat May 14, 2016 3:47 am

As AR_LA points out, getting the rubbery stuff to stick to the hard stuff is not trivial. Italian filament maker TreeD has been working on this issue (they make at least 5 different flexible filaments at the moment I think) and they have a chart showing how well each of their flex materials sticks to each of their (many) hard plastics - apparently some combinations are pretty good but I don't think I have those to test right now. Mechanical interlock augmented by chemical/thermal bond is ideal if you can figure out how to do it.

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sun May 15, 2016 3:58 am

walshlg wrote:ooooh nice!

Anyone tried dual extruding with ninja/ flexible? THinking of things like grip pads on solid parts, etc

I once played with ninja flex on left, hard PLA on right. A print of makerbot cupcake. Came out no problem at all. Maybe someone could use it to make something like a handle.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Julia Truchsess wrote:I love Sainsmart's TPU, great stuff, great colors, and easier to print in my experience than Ninjaflex. I have printers that will print Sainsmart but not Ninja. Polyflex is also a very easy-to-print elastomer, but a little stiffer than Sainsmart and not much color choice.

Thanks for this comment, Julia. I'm about to get an N1, and have a roll of NinjaFlex I'm hoping to print. Is it difficult, or impossible? any tricks?

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:

I once played with ninja flex on left, hard PLA on right. A print of makerbot cupcake. Came out no problem at all. Maybe someone could use it to make something like a handle.

Im new to the Raise3D, my N1 arrives Friday hopefully. Any hints on temps/setting for Ninja? As I dont have the software yet, is it an easy setup and config? I hope to print mainly NinjaFlex/PolyFlex/TPU/ETC :) I do have a few rolls of Makergeeks translucent PLA and PETG to print, also :)

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Andy Cohen wrote:aka NinjaFlex. The pic is with Sainsmart TPU.
The N2 with V2 prints it real nice. Make it hotter... 230C, downward fan at about 70%, hbp at 40C and print speed down to 20mm/s. Travel speed down to about 50mm/s. You may also want to up retraction a touch since at that heat and that speed you will get threads.

Looks Outrageous, Andy. Thanks for sharing your info. Curious about travel and retraction. I have been using Cura on my Wanhao, and my retraction is a function of speed and distance, so perhaps 2mm at 40mm/s - so are you saying your retraction travel is 50mm/s and what is the standard retraction versus the ninjaflex? I'm dying to print flexible stuff for my quadcopters!

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 pm

NewbPilot wrote:

Looks Outrageous, Andy. Thanks for sharing your info. Curious about travel and retraction. I have been using Cura on my Wanhao, and my retraction is a function of speed and distance, so perhaps 2mm at 40mm/s - so are you saying your retraction travel is 50mm/s and what is the standard retraction versus the ninjaflex? I'm dying to print flexible stuff for my quadcopters!

His travel speed of the head is down to 50mm/s when shifting from one spot to another. The standard retraction in IM is around 20mm/s so bringing that up a little could be 25-30mm/s.

-Michael
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:00 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:

Derek,
Would it be possible to use the Ninjaflex to print with PLA to support? I would like to conserve the expensive filament if I can. Any settings hints?

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:01 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:

His travel speed of the head is down to 50mm/s when shifting from one spot to another. The standard retraction in IM is around 20mm/s so bringing that up a little could be 25-30mm/s.

-Michael

Thanks Michael. Test prints went amazing. I'm gearing up to start the flexible GoPro cases for my quadcopters :)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 am

NewbPilot wrote:Derek,
Would it be possible to use the Ninjaflex to print with PLA to support? I would like to conserve the expensive filament if I can. Any settings hints?

Let us take a test on our side first.
Last edited by Vicky@Raise3D on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 am

NewbPilot wrote:
Derek@Raise3D wrote:

Derek,

I guess it can work, need do more test. Ninjaflex is sticking well with PLA, so it's a great idea.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:Derek,

Let us take a test on our side first.

I tried it the other day, but i am sure my settings were poor. Please, let me know if you can make it happen!!

NewbPilot

Postby NewbPilot » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:21 pm

Michael.P@Raise3D wrote:
NewbPilot wrote:

-Michael

Question about retraction. I was told with TPU (Ninja/PolyFlex) too much retraction distance will be cause for a clog. So, right now my retraction is 25mm/s for 1.0mm I have quite a lot of stringing. printing PolyFlex at 260 (only way i can get it to extrude) and printing SainsMart TPU at 235. speed is 30mm/s i get a print like this - decent quality but stringing.
IMG_6147.JPG

Also - i have the fan set for 0 - but it still spins. Does that mean it really isnt set for zero? :)

Return to “Others”