Print Offset Issue

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
mexfogel

Print Offset Issue

Postby mexfogel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:43 am

I have the N2 Plus dual extruder.

Basic Setup:
One extruder on.
Raise3D PLA; 205 temp, high quality settings, default retractions.
0.2 nozzle
0.15mm layer height.

The print is a very simple extrude (15 inches tall) Everything was going fine and then towards the last inch (60hrs of print time) suddenly a weird offset appeared. Towards the top you can start to see a wave pattern emerge. There was also a weird gap in the middle that fixed itself.

The bed is aligned and the extruders are not rubbing against the model.

Hardware error or software error? Please help.

These are photos i took while I paused the print.
Top.jpg

Front.jpg

Middle.jpg

Middle_2.jpg

After resuming the print to see what else keeps happening the print started to correct itself.

After_Pause.jpg

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Print Offset Issue

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Please help check whether the screws around the Z-axis balls screws are loose and not tight.
And a 0.15 layer height out of a 0.2mm nozzle is pretty high. Please try dropping the layer height to 0.1mm and also add a little bit of Z-hop (.05 above the layer height) to make sure the nozzle is not colliding with the part and see whether the result can be better or not.

mexfogel

Postby mexfogel » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Yes, the z-axis ball screws were a little loose, all 8 of them. I can see how that would create the waviness as the extrusion became taller and taller.

Do you think the abrupt offset could be cause by that also? It sound like it time for me to do an overall maintenance. I've changed the grease and aligned the bed with an indicator gauge that has an accuracy of 0.001mm but I haven't touched the belts. Maybe something else is slipping.

thank you. Any other suggestions is appreciated.

mexfogel

Postby mexfogel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:22 am

Hi again, I think I found the solution to the abrupt offset. I opened a support ticket and they suggested to check the X&Y couplers for damage. There was no damage but when I installed the filament sensor I routed the excess cable on top of the Y coupler and I believe at some point it must have made contact and started to jam it.

I will retry the print and see if both issues disappear.

Than you for the help and the guidance to troubleshoot the issue.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks for your update! Looking forward to your result.

mexfogel

Postby mexfogel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Just to be clear to other readers here, I misunderstood your advice. The Z-axis balls screws are meant to be loose. not tight. I read it backwards. (English is my second language)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Is the result getting any better with the loose screws now?

Return to “Others”