Buy a Raise3D E2

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
fammann

Buy a Raise3D E2

Postby fammann » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:48 am

Hi everyone, :)

I want to buy a 3D printer for prototyping and small batches of different parts.
I want a printer which works with the standard materials but also can print TPU ABS etc. It should run on its own when the parameters are fine. I don’t want to invest a lot of time before and after the printing. So calibration, the quality of the print, cleaning the printer etc. should be done easily and fast. Therefore I think the E2 offers a good price-service-ratio but in the forum I found also some negative aspects about the E2. So I wont to ask you guys if anyone gained good/bad experinces with the E2 and buy/buy not it again? Also I want to know your opinion if the E2 is the right choice for me.

Thank you :D

ccclarke

Re: Buy a Raise3D E2

Postby ccclarke » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 am

"It should run on its own when the parameters are fine." This implies two things:
1) You're using Raise3D-approved filament.
2) You're using a template that works with the filament.

I've asked and have yet to hear the experiences of anyone using anything other than PLA successfully on a E2. This doesn't mean it isn't possible, just that no one has reported their experiences here. Yet. I was in the market for an E2 a few months ago and ended up getting another Pro2 for that very reason.

All printers require preventive and corrective maintenance; Raise3D's are no exception. If you aren't mechanically-inclined, you could regret your decision. These occasionally require periodic troubleshooting, disassembly, and repair.

They can be a PITA to dial-in with unsupported filament, but once complete, will yield excellent prints. A lot of the complaints you read on this forum are from owners who buy unapproved filament and then complain when they can't get it to print.

When the E2 gets it's first-year bugs ironed out, and I hear of owners successfully printing high-temp filaments on unmodified printers, I'll revisit a purchase, since dual independent heads would double my productivity.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

fammann

Postby fammann » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Thank for your response
I just saw this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwcG7AX4hzo&t=1132s
It seams that ASA (ABS), PC and TCTPE work quiete well. So it might be possible to print them ;)

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:33 pm

While professional online-product testers with good reviews are always comforting, (and I saw that review when it first came out) with any expensive purchases in the thousands of dollars, I rely even more from owners experiences.

The lack of responses from E2 owners describing their experiences with anything other than PLA speaks volumes. I'll sit on the fence until I hear more convincing arguments before I shell out $3500. By all means, buy one and tell us about your experiences.

CC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 am

ccclarke wrote:While professional online-product testers with good reviews are always comforting, (and I saw that review when it first came out) with any expensive purchases in the thousands of dollars, I rely even more from owners experiences.

The lack of responses from E2 owners describing their experiences with anything other than PLA speaks volumes. I'll sit on the fence until I hear more convincing arguments before I shell out $3500. By all means, buy one and tell us about your experiences.

CC

I have printed ABS, Polymaker Copa, Petg. The machine is good, but sooo slow. If you make similar parts over and over again then this printer is good for you. If you are doing single prototyping and need some parts to test out before production then I am not that sure.
For Nylon you need Buildtak Nylon+ bed.
I miss an option to disable the exhaust fan since it pull out hot air from the chamber when printing ABS, Nylon and similar.

Slice engineer copperhead is drop in replacement so I changed mine since the "harden" nozzles from Raise3d is just coated and does not hold up when printing Petg CF. I broke a nozzle while printing 2.5KG of Petg CF and it ruined 1kg of CF filament before I figured out it was the nozzle.
With copperhead I use Nozzle X now and happy with the result until one of the bearing broke and the left head stepper motor broke. So now I am waiting for replacement motor that got a rare 38mm long shaft.
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Raise3d E2 w/SliceEngineer
Prusa MK3s Custom designed (Uploaded at Grabcad)
Prusa Mini
Creality CR-30 Beltprinter

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Nice to FINALLY hear from one owner using an E2 for something other than PLA; additional feedback from others are appreciated.

The fact that aftermarket mods are required to reach the full potential of this (new) printer (especially at this price point) still gives me pause.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:43 pm

ccclarke wrote:Nice to FINALLY hear from one owner using an E2 for something other than PLA; additional feedback from others are appreciated.

The fact that aftermarket mods are required to reach the full potential of this (new) printer (especially at this price point) still gives me pause.

what I really miss is a timer on the machine that show how many hours this machine have been used and then have some sort of recommended service interval for belt, bearing and such instead of suddenly get a broken part.

I am getting these bearings now to replace the original https://www.kugellager-express.de/stain ... -5x10x4-mm
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Prusa Mini

gbevin

Postby gbevin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:33 am

I've very successfully been printing PLA, PETG, and PC for a year with the E2. Also a bit of TPU but that took some experimenting.

Bikeracer

Postby Bikeracer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 am

FOGD.NO wrote:
I have printed ABS, Polymaker Copa, Petg. The machine is good, but sooo slow. If you make similar parts over and over again then this printer is good for you. If you are doing single prototyping and need some parts to test out before production then I am not that sure.
For Nylon you need Buildtak Nylon+ bed.

I miss an option to disable the exhaust fan since it pull out hot air from the chamber when printing ABS, Nylon and similar.

I'm printing ASA at the moment and I'm happy with the results. Bed at 100C and let the chamber warm up for 15 minutes or so before starting a print or the part tends to come unstuck from the bed.

I disconnected the exhaust fan initially but thought the whole inside was getting too warm for the mechanicals and electronics, just an assumption on my part though, so I made an extension lead up to easily disconnect and reconnect the fan because it's really awkward situated in the back corner as it is, so I now have some slack when reconnecting.

I now leave the fan running and have adjusted the part cooling fan to 15% second layer and 20% from the third layer. I also found that PLA makes a good support for ASA and almost falls off afterwards.

Press 'Print' on touchscreen and you'll see the dashboard, press that to show filament used and time used.

FOGD.NO

Postby FOGD.NO » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Bikeracer wrote:I'm printing ASA at the moment and I'm happy with the results. Bed at 100C and let the chamber warm up for 15 minutes or so before starting a print or the part tends to come unstuck from the bed.

I disconnected the exhaust fan initially but thought the whole inside was getting too warm for the mechanicals and electronics, just an assumption on my part though, so I made an extension lead up to easily disconnect and reconnect the fan because it's really awkward situated in the back corner as it is, so I now have some slack when reconnecting.

I now leave the fan running and have adjusted the part cooling fan to 15% second layer and 20% from the third layer. I also found that PLA makes a good support for ASA and almost falls off afterwards.

Press 'Print' on touchscreen and you'll see the dashboard, press that to show filament used and time used.

I use PETG as support for PLA. I use Primaselect PETG since it got printing temp down to 195c
------------------------
-{Prototype Guru}-
Prusa Mini

Return to “Others”