IdeaMaker feature requests

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IdeaMaker feature requests

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm

We have added searching feature in ideaMaker onto developing list.

svandru

Postby svandru » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:38 pm

A search feature is useful for some, I guess. I read the thread where you announced it at https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... h&start=20. That is fine for the theoretical use case where someone has 58 templates and can't remember what filament they are attached to. But having to search every every time you want a template is slow and tedious.

For me, I know what printer and filament I am using, but I have a dozen or more templates per filament. They are highly tuned for each object that I print regularly. I name my templates based on the object, e.g.: "Alphabet," "Impeller," "Zither." But Zither ends up on top and Alphabet in the middle of the long scrolling list. "Zither Draft," and "Zither Best Quality" might not even show up on the screen at the same time.

All IdeaMaker needs to do is alphanumerically sort the list before writing it to the template select form (and the filament select ComboBox). As a software developer myself, this is something I do with every program I write. If IdeaMaker sorts templates and filaments alphanumerically, users can use sensible names or prepend a 1 or _ to force the most used ones to the top of the list. This would be almost zero effort for the developers, and a huge benefit for users. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any use case where the current method of sorting by date is beneficial.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:39 am

So what will be your opinion of having searching feature in ideaMaker for profiles?

svandru

Postby svandru » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:07 am

I primarily rely on structure. For example, I carefully organize my computer files and I can always find what I want. I use a Mac and it has a file tagging feature, but I've never used it just because that is not the way I think.

So what is my opinion of having a search feature in ideaMaker for profiles? I doubt that I would use it. I would never put so many templates under one filament that I would need to search for it. I don’t see utility in a “global” search either. A template is inextricably tied to a filament, so search results that include templates that are not under a relevant filament is not going to be useful.

In the thread where the search feature was discussed, I think FOGD.NO was wanting you to do away with the parent/child relationship of filaments and templates and lump everything together in a database. In a case like that, where there is no structure to the templates, a search feature would be mandatory. That is a completely new paradigm for IdeaMaker, though. I don’t like the limitations caused by way the the parent/child relationship is implemented either, but that is a topic for another time.

svandru

Postby svandru » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:27 am

Suddenly, my templates are being sorted in alphanumeric order!

I never used the template selector on the left of the screen until tonight. I noticed that templates there were sorted and was going to ask you to do the same to the other template selector, but when I went back there, that list was sorted too...

So now, when I create a new template and restart IdeaMaker, the templates are re-sorted. Renaming an existing template does not trigger a re-sort, however.

Could you add alphanumeric sort to filaments too?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:39 am

The parent relationship between Printer and Filament template won't affect searching function. We will add global searching and searching in template.
Sort feature has been added into developing list. Just want to make sure that whether searching can cover sorting or not. If not, we will add both.

svandru

Postby svandru » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 am

In my opinion, searching would not cover sorting. Thank you for your consideration.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:18 am

Well noted.

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:25 am

How annoying these pop-ups require additional action! You can make them in the form of a message that pops up and disappears in a couple of seconds.
annoying.JPG

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:28 am

and how I like to be tagged in a smaaaaaaaall button to select UPLOAD or SAVE TO HDD !!!
why not make these two options active at once. exclude unnecessary pressing. I do not understand...
Once I UPLOAD it, once I SAVE it. I don’t do one thing all the time.
Attachments
annoy2.JPG

svandru

Postby svandru » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:52 am

I always save to local disk. I actually like that the screen isn't cluttered with options I'll never use. ;)

svandru

Postby svandru » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:04 am

DeX wrote:How annoying these pop-ups require additional action! You can make them in the form of a message that pops up and disappears in a couple of seconds.
annoying.JPG

If they were quickly dismissed, then you would not have a chance to use the "open in finder" button. I use that pretty much every time I export a profile.

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:12 am

svandru wrote:
DeX wrote:How annoying these pop-ups require additional action! You can make them in the form of a message that pops up and disappears in a couple of seconds.
annoying.JPG

If they were quickly dismissed, then you would not have a chance to use the "open in finder" button. I use that pretty much every time I export a profile.

Open in folder?! open in folder?
And then you do what ?!? With bin files... sorry, seems useless 4 me.

well ok. I'll push "enter" twice then...

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 am

svandru wrote:I always save to local disk. I actually like that the screen isn't cluttered with options I'll never use. ;)

and I always use both way ( upload and save for history) and need to select every time ;)

svandru

Postby svandru » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:35 pm

DeX wrote:Open in folder?! open in folder?
And then you do what ?!? With bin files... sorry, seems useless 4 me.
well ok. I'll push "enter" twice then...

Your example was for saved gcode. What would you do when you open gcode in a folder? Copy it to an SD card, send it to the printer, upload it to Octoprint, save it to an archive location, or send to another person via email.

Since you switched the conversation to bin files, are you talking about templates? Once I save a template, I open it in the folder to back it up, rename it if I forgot to change the name when saving, or send to other users who ask for tested templates.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”