IM should adjust scaling factor on 'max fit' function

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
theRenegade

IM should adjust scaling factor on 'max fit' function

Postby theRenegade » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Max Fit is great (and it works, no issues on the last mm of the scaled object).

But the scale factor of the scale menu should be adjusted to the actual scaling factor used by the Max Fit function.

Having knowledge of the scale factor helps (makes it possible) to scale related parts accordingly. I don't want to calculate it from the x/y/z values by a before / after comparison.

EL Cuajinais

Re: IM should adjust scaling factor on 'max fit' function

Postby EL Cuajinais » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Agreed. I would also like to have the scale to be absolute, not relative to current size. Ideally, this would be a toggle in an options menu to select if scaling is absolute or relative.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm

In current version, keep the 'uniform' checked, then you can put in a value for any axis and the other two will change accordingly.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Maybe a translation issue John!? BTW I do not use the current version (still on 2.1.6.110 until the one that fixes the seam is out :-)).

I use 'Max Fit' for a multi part object (first pic is before the Max Fit). After clicking 'Max Fit' the sizes are adjusted, but not the scale.

The scale is what is needed for the other parts of this multi part print (to compare and adjust), right now I would have to calculate it manually.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 18.26.18.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-11 um 18.26.29.png

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:50 am

I see your point now. I will feed this back to our software engineer.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Great. You could also give him the hint that for this to work properly a minimum resolution of 3 decimal digits for the final scaling factor is needed (2 is not enough) :-)

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:02 am

May I ask why you need 3 decimal places? It is 2 in most cases.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:May I ask why you need 3 decimal places? It is 2 in most cases.

That's because I was thinking about the use case :-)

I don't think that scaling small objects of let's say 50mm to the full build size of an N2+ makes sense (but who am I to tell that)?
So I thought about an object of 150mm that should be scaled by factor 2, means 200%

If the object is scaled by 2.00 then the resulting size would be 300mm (let's only discuss a single axis).
If the object is scaled by 2.01 then the resulting object would be 301.5 mm wich is a minimal difference in scale of 1.5 mm or five layers if printing with 0.3 layers and out of accuracy for fitting objects together IMHO.

Of course an option would be to tell the scaling could be rounded down to the next 2nd decimal digit (user has to set this manually for every part otherwise printing parts would not match) and charge this to the 'lazy programming' account.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:22 pm

Found myself using false arguments. While the explanation is right it does not fit to the actual IM settings.

IM is not using a scaling factor but a percentage what shifts the results into the correct accuracy.
Forget about more than 2 digits precision. 8-)

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”