Printer Saver

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
ccclarke

Printer Saver

Postby ccclarke » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:34 am

If you've spent much time in this (or any 3D printer-related site) you have probably seen posted photos of printing disasters. (I've posted my own here someplace.) Many contain gouge marks in the print bed, or molten piles of plastic that have cooled on the outer edges and trapped the heated printhead inside, or worse, mangled hot ends that twist off and cause extensive and expensive damage.

What if this could be avoided or minimized? When the X or Y axis stepper motors encounter these situations, I would imagine they draw excessive current as they plow into the print bed for example.

Would it be possible to program the motor controller firmware to sense excessive stepper motor current draw and disable the printing process? (Stop the motors and shut off the hot end(s).)

If so, this capability would not only minimize the potential for catastrophic, expensive printer damage but be a compelling sales point for prospective buyers.

I have worked on autonomous robotic applications where the end of travel for the stages contained two (primary and back-up) switches installed side by side to notify the software to stop the stage. If they failed, a hard stop was used to cut off the motor current when the stage reached it and current increased above the normal operating limits.

CCC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Paul123

Re: Printer Saver

Postby Paul123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:21 pm

sensorless stall detection IS possible, i did that in different surroundings with different stepper drivers. the firmware just has to determine the right current offset value.

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:48 pm

This would appear to be a very easy-to-implement firmware addition to a future motor controller board upgrade that would result in added protection at minimal cost, plus bragging rights for their advertising. I don't know if their competitors offer a similar protection feature, but it would be an innovative approach to making ownership less costly should a failure that would benefit from this feature occur.
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Or, as an alternative, develop a cloud-based solution. Similar to "The Spaghetti Detectice", but with more options.
In the event of misprints, it would be conceivable not only to sound the alarm via SMS or push message, but to switch the printer off completely. That would be possible without changing the printer firmware. You only have to connect a WIFI-enabled socket to the cloud.
If the cloud detects a misprint, the printer is switched off by the IP socket assigned to the printer.

https://www.thespaghettidetective.com/

ccclarke

Postby ccclarke » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 am

While software-based machine vision is useful, real-time feedback via current sensing to stop the gantry would be more proactive.

Imagine a nozzle/hot end slowly loosening and beginning to bury itself into a sheet of Buildtak, (I've had this occur twice and seen many other examples posted.) - how long do you think it would take for a Spaghetti Detective-based solution to detect that? Probably too long to prevent the kind of damage that can set you back days waiting for a new bedplate or hot end components.

Simple is good. If current sensing were available from the controller board with auto-stop enabled, I'd feel a lot more confident. Again, no need to add hardware (camera) or software (cloud-I/O) just a few lines of code in the firmware. The cheaper a solution is for Raise3D to implement, the more likely it would be considered for existing printers in the field, and new production units.

CC
Male Modeler / Sub-Human

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:03 pm

First of all: I share your opinion. But I seriously doubt that Raise will develop firmware improvements for the Pro2 in this form. I would wish it and I would appreciate it if Raise did it!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm

According to our experience, current detection is possible but it has very high chance to be mis-triggered at lower speed. Even E2 will mis-trigger error when the speed is lower than 40mm/s. It will be even harder on Pro2 to achieve.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”