Stopping/Canceling a Print

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Andy Cohen

Stopping/Canceling a Print

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon May 02, 2016 6:04 am

While the object is printing the Cancel button works fine... However, if you try to cancel a print during initial warmup my N2 goes bye bye until I reboot it. Why would I want to cancel so early? It happens a lot. I see that the printer is going to the wrong temp because i changed the material or I realized I forgot to change a setting... regardless... Cancel prior to the start of the print is a problem.

Trhuster

Re: Stopping/Canceling a Print

Postby Trhuster » Mon May 02, 2016 6:56 am

Agree, this happens to me quite often too. I always remember something i want to change during heating so it would be nice if cancel was instant.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Mon May 02, 2016 7:19 am

You can go to 'settings' and then restart the printer. Usually it is faster than waiting for it to heat up.
Currently, we can't change this. The printer is running the command to heat up, until it reaches the set point, it will not process the pause/cancel command.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon May 02, 2016 4:33 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:You can go to 'settings' and then restart the printer. Usually it is faster than waiting for it to heat up.
Currently, we can't change this. The printer is running the command to heat up, until it reaches the set point, it will not process the pause/cancel command.

I expected this. But I do not understand why it cannot be done. If the operator can cancel at any time when interacting directly with the controller board as in all other bots which do not have an additional processor board for the UI, I cannot see why the UI controller can't do it as well.
BTW, please note that the Makerbot Replicator Gen 5 which also uses an additional processor board for it's UI will allow an immediate cancel during any stage of it's pretty complicated warm up cycles.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Tue May 03, 2016 1:11 am

Andy Cohen wrote:
John@Raise3D wrote:You can go to 'settings' and then restart the printer. Usually it is faster than waiting for it to heat up.

I expected this. But I do not understand why it cannot be done. If the operator can cancel at any time when interacting directly with the controller board as in all other bots which do not have an additional processor board for the UI, I cannot see why the UI controller can't do it as well.
BTW, please note that the Makerbot Replicator Gen 5 which also uses an additional processor board for it's UI will allow an immediate cancel during any stage of it's pretty complicated warm up cycles.

Thanks for your suggestion and feedback. We will see how we can optimize this.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Tue May 03, 2016 12:01 pm

John@Raise3D wrote:
Thanks for your suggestion and feedback. We will see how we can optimize this.

This is quite simple: The firmware should accept M0, M1, M112 commands in the PID loop while processing the heatup.

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Tue May 03, 2016 3:46 pm

Its even simpler than that. The Rumba board (which the motion board seems to be based on) has an ATMega16U2 which does the USB to serial conversion to the ATMega2560 which actually runs the firmware.

The ATMega16U2 has the DTR signal connected to the Reset of the ATMega2560 processor, so by strobing the DTR signal you'll reset the 2560 which will effectively cancel the print.

I'm pretty sure that's what Repetier Host does as well.

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 pm

It's always easier to pull the plug. But why do this?

GCode defines standard commands for this and if the firmware listens to them in the PID loop the GUI can easily stop the heating process and let the firmware do a save shut down (whatever is needed).

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 pm

The typical reason is that the receive queue is already full of the commands that come after the gcode to set the temperature.

Toggling the DTR works 100% of time. You don't need to worry about whether you have some loop some place which isn't checking.

No hardware changes required, no firmware changes required. Just some changes to the host side code (which would be needed in any case).

theRenegade

Postby theRenegade » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 am

Having a single queue, serialized command processing I would call the old fashioned way of firmware programming (without wanting to tease someone special to answer that this has been done already better at the age of 4-Bit MCs :)).

To be honest, I did not look into firmware source code for about 2 years and still wait for my Raise to arrive, but for any modern firmware that allows realtime change of print settings there is no reason that turns it into a complicated task to implement it the way (or similar) I described it.

I still would tell that there is no reason to pull the plug, such quick shots mostly turn out to be problematic in later development of the code.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Wed May 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Andy, what do you mean with "goes bye bye" ?

When i cancel a print during warm up (yes this happens a lot especially since Duplicate does not duplicate the extruder temp settings) it actually puts that request in the queue meaning i would have to wait till its heated up and sometimes printed one or 2 lines before it actually cancels. but it DOES cancel and does not go nuts (hence the questions what you mean with going bye bye)

I have pulled the plug once or twice but i notice it does not always boot back up nicely so now i just wait till it canceled it through the queue

(when it does not boot back up you get a black screen only and need to use pin 1 and 6 to reset the printer)

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 pm

Zettlinger wrote:Andy, what do you mean with "goes bye bye" ?

When i cancel a print during warm up (yes this happens a lot especially since Duplicate does not duplicate the extruder temp settings) it actually puts that request in the queue meaning i would have to wait till its heated up and sometimes printed one or 2 lines before it actually cancels. but it DOES cancel and does not go nuts (hence the questions what you mean with going bye bye)

I have pulled the plug once or twice but i notice it does not always boot back up nicely so now i just wait till it canceled it through the queue

(when it does not boot back up you get a black screen only and need to use pin 1 and 6 to reset the printer)

If it does cancel it is doing it long after it comes to full heat and evens out per the PID settings. It's way faster to simply cycle power. Better to make cancel possible during warm up.
One way around the issue is to warm up via the front panel yourself manually. Then when you tell it to print there is no warm up cycle.

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sat May 07, 2016 9:03 am

We are working on this. It will be fixed soon.
Depends on how deep we want to go to, we may need to modify firmware as well.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”