IM Feature request: relative extrusion and M82/M83 gcode inclusion

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Wybren

IM Feature request: relative extrusion and M82/M83 gcode inclusion

Postby Wybren » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:00 am

IdeaMaker currently only slices in absolute extrusion mode. This works fine on my Raise3D, but it results in two issues on my Prusa:

1) IdeaMaker does not automatically include 'M82; absolute extrusion mode' in the start gcode. My Prusa is usually in relative mode when reading the SD card, resulting in crazy overextrusion because it wasn't told to switch to reading in absolute mode. I had to add this command manually.

2) Prusa also allows for tuning of flowrates during print, however this does not affect IdeaMaker slices in any way. Speed can be adjusted, but flowrates are unaffected. This is most probably due to the slice being written in absolute E-lengths. More generally, M221 values do not seem to affect flowrates in absolute mode, at least on the Prusa. Perhaps the Raise3D can work with the M221 command (since it can also tune while printing), I have not tested that yet.

So ideally, IM has the option to switch between absolute and relative extrusion, and automatically adds the correct command M82 or M83 to the start gcode.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IM Feature request: relative extrusion and M82/M83 gcode inclusion

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 am

There should have M82 code in default Start Code. Would you like to share us the template you are currently using? You can compare your template with our default PLA template under Slice.
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/4 ... 5-804.html
We haven't heard that the firmware of Prusa can't handle M221 code, unless it is using a different code system. If so, you can consider edit custom codes in ideaMaker. Succh as, Change Gcode E Length by multiplying filament flowrate
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/8 ... 5-781.html

Wybren

Postby Wybren » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:51 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Re: IM Feature request: relative extrusion and M82/M83 gcode inclusion
There should have M82 code in default Start Code. Would you like to share us the template you are currently using? You can compare your template with our default PLA template under Slice.
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/4 ... 5-804.html

You are right, M82 is part of the original profiles. I must have deleted it myself before adding it again... My mistake!

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Re: IM Feature request: relative extrusion and M82/M83 gcode inclusion
We haven't heard that the firmware of Prusa can't handle M221 code, unless it is using a different code system. If so, you can consider edit custom codes in ideaMaker. Succh as, Change Gcode E Length by multiplying filament flowrate
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/8 ... 5-781.html

I have done a bit more extreme testing. It seems the flowrate adjustments during print are used, but it makes the extruder go crazy.
It seems that the M221 command simply multiplies the E value in each line with the M221 Sxxx value.

So in absolute extrusion mode this happens:

Code: Select all

[...]
E1000.0           
E1001.0
E1002.0
M221 S200
E2006.0          crazy extruder movement! from 1002 to 2006 in a single movement
E2008.0           normal movement, double the flow as intended
M221 S100
E1005.0            extruder reverses, from 2008.0 back to 1005.0     
[...]   

What would happen in relative mode:

Code: Select all

[...]           
E1.0
E1.0             normal movement
E1.0
M221 S200
E2.0              normal movement, double the flow as intended
E2.0           
M221 S100
E1.0              normal movement
[...]   

So if IdeaMaker is able to slice in relative extrusion values, this would allow us to make use of tuning during printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 am

You can still use M221 to tune flowrate under absolute extrusion mode. If relative extrusion mode needs to be added into firmware, we can only consider to add an option for relative extruder mode into Printer Settings in ideaMaker.

Wybren

Postby Wybren » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:we can only consider to add an option for relative extruder mode into Printer Settings in ideaMaker.

That would be great!

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”