Is Unload necessary?

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Spud

Is Unload necessary?

Postby Spud » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 am

Is 'Unload' filament necessary?

Unloading filament risks bringing hot plastic upward to jam in the hot end.
Why not remove that feature and just allow us to run the filament through the hot end to clear it. The only time I've ever had jams was when I accidentally reversed the filament drive raising hot filament above the head where it cools and jams.
(I just turned my R3D Pro2 on for the first time tonight so excuse me if I don't get it)
Unloading might be causing more trouble for people than it's worth = jams.

The only time I can think of where you might want to unload your loaded filament is when switching to a plastic that has a different print temp.

If switching from PLA to a higher temp filament would it be better to cut off the PLA at the point it enters the filament sensor and then allowing the higher temp filament to push the PLA 'X' millimeters automatically?

Example.

I want to switch from PLA (215C) to nylon (240C).
PLA is already loaded.

Steps:
1) clip PLA off at the top of the filament sensor.
2) Run nylon through Bowden tube so it sticks out the other end.
3) Tell the UI to load the nylon.
4) Press 'Load Nylon' button (hold the nylon filament sticking out of the Bowden tube and push into the filament sensor basically chasing the PLA). Once you feel the nylon being pulled you don't need to push anymore.
5) Filament drive runs for 'X' seconds or millimeters using up almost all of the PLA, and stops.
6) Extruder ramps up to temp for nylon and then when the temp is reached the system automatically primes the extruder with nylon.
7) User clears nylon waste that extruded out.
8) The user loads the file to print and heads off for a beer.

No more jams with handy 'Auto filament swap' feature.
California, USA
R3D Pro2

Shelton

Re: Is Unload necessary?

Postby Shelton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:37 pm

You have preload option also... so you can cut filament above printing head... and preload it...

Spud

Postby Spud » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:27 pm

Shelton wrote:You have preload option also... so you can cut filament above printing head... and preload it...

OK. That's good.

I've read so much about people getting jams on the forum, I just can't help but wonder if they are pulling hot plastic out of the hot end and causing jams.
If that's not how most jams are happening (excluding PLA with the lid on) then the above idea is worthless.
:roll:
California, USA
R3D Pro2

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm

You can also use the Utilities menu to feed the filament after heating it instead of Load.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:23 pm

I often don't unload, but sometimes it's necessary. When changing from a rigid to flexible filament, for example. In my experience you can't drive out rigid filament by loading flexible behind it.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:03 pm

We've never had a problem jamming with unload as long as you pre-load first. The only time we had a problem was with PTEG that was unloaded without a pre-load. Even then I think it was a temperature issue since the user was loading PLA and I might have used PLA temps for the unload instead of the PTEG temp.

Pre-load then Unload and no problems!

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:04 pm

"In my experience you can't drive out rigid filament by loading flexible behind it."

In my experience that works fine.

Spud

Postby Spud » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:52 pm

EldRick wrote:"In my experience you can't drive out rigid filament by loading flexible behind it."

Pushing in flex filament into the filament sensor waiting for it to grab and pull it through doesn't work?
I have not swapped out any filament on the Pro2 yet so theory crafting only.

EldRick -do you have the Pro2?
California, USA
R3D Pro2

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm

EldRick wrote:"In my experience you can't drive out rigid filament by loading flexible behind it."

It's "Possible" that I didn't actually try to push out rigid filament with flexible. Perhaps it just sounded like a bad idea and I made an assumption. :shock:

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:49 pm

My experience is on an N2.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”