Dual Extruder Ditto printing

Raise3D is always listening. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Andy Cohen

Dual Extruder Ditto printing

Postby Andy Cohen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:35 am

This would be a slick feature for those of us who do contract production work. Basically the way to works (with Sailfish machines) is the dual extruders print at the same time making two objects simultaneously. Of course the object sizes and the relative X axis positioning has to be paid attention to for it to work... This is something that has to be in the controller board FW I would suspect.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Dual Extruder Ditto printing

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Do you mean that use two nozzle two same model at one time?

That means the model needs to be really small. Since the offset between two nozzles are only 25mm.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:42 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Do you mean that use two nozzle two same model at one time?

That means the model needs to be really small. Since the offset between two nozzles are only 25mm.

Yes that is correct. Yes the objects are limited in size to the distance between the nozzles.
For low qty production the splits the cost and the time. All my Sailfish machines with dual extruders can do it.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:25 pm

I think a while back this was discussed. There are some Marlin branches that support DITTO printing.
There lies the problem. The Marlin used on a the Raise 3D is custom and modified to support key functions and the specific motion controller board.

I think it would take a bit of effort to port the DITTO support into the current source code. In theory, once you get that setup, I believe then there was a gcode command to turn Ditto on and off.

Again, here's the problem, this is a complex and custom system. To work as a system of the front LCD and the motion controller there's a lot of specifics. If you disconnect the front LCD and just use the motion controller, it is theoretically simply to drop Repetier or Marlin latest branches, both with support for DITTO. But then it likely throws errors and has problems with the front LCD.

If had to do production work and could live without the front LCD, I would buy a $17 graphic LCD and SD card panel for the motionboard, load custom Repetier firmware and just print from SD card temporarily for the project. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B244QLQ

I know, not a solution but basically, you need custom firmware to support ditto. That custom firmware may or may not break the communications with the front LCD.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 am

Jetguy wrote:I think a while back this was discussed. There are some Marlin branches that support DITTO printing.
There lies the problem. The Marlin used on a the Raise 3D is custom and modified to support key functions and the specific motion controller board.

I think it would take a bit of effort to port the DITTO support into the current source code. In theory, once you get that setup, I believe then there was a gcode command to turn Ditto on and off.

Again, here's the problem, this is a complex and custom system. To work as a system of the front LCD and the motion controller there's a lot of specifics. If you disconnect the front LCD and just use the motion controller, it is theoretically simply to drop Repetier or Marlin latest branches, both with support for DITTO. But then it likely throws errors and has problems with the front LCD.

If had to do production work and could live without the front LCD, I would buy a $17 graphic LCD and SD card panel for the motionboard, load custom Repetier firmware and just print from SD card temporarily for the project. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B244QLQ

I know, not a solution but basically, you need custom firmware to support ditto. That custom firmware may or may not break the communications with the front LCD.

or...
The Raise3D is simply not setup for production needs and is not likely to ever be. Thats a big tradeoff for the fancy UI panel. I feel another podcast segment coming on...

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:12 pm

You have a valid request. There are 2 ways forward.
Raise 3D can and should update the Marlin branch to a recent mainline. That should add a few of the features asked for including Ditto.
They know and understand the details of the custom protocol back to the front panel.

Or, they also said at one time they were working on a Repetier firmware base and that also natively supports Ditto from recent sources.

I would much prefer Repetier over Marlin because of both safety and features, not even getting into the performance increases. In fact, being honest, the rash of requests for every feature under the sun in Ideamaker should never have been a higher priority than firmware.
The slicer is free, they sold you the machine and firmware. I wish the focus was on the machine and not the free software.
Then there is the daily mess of teaching the basics of 3D printing detracting from any real advances in the actual hardware and build quality.

If you learn nothing, again, the printer and firmware should be top priority and the free stuff like the slicer should be dead bottom.

oliverbrossmann

Postby oliverbrossmann » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:02 am

I would like a ditto feature too. Has any progress been made on this?

-Oliver

Return to “Feature Requests, Ideas, Wishes”