Need suggestions on how to fix this hot end problem

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
2CNK

Need suggestions on how to fix this hot end problem

Postby 2CNK » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:29 pm

I got my first clogged nozzle; the metal rod didn't help neither did an unload and reload, so next step was to remove the hot end.

I was following the guide at https://www.raise3d.com/pages/extruder-clog-cleaning but the tip of the hex wrench broke off inside one of the heating cartridge screws.

I can juuust reach it with the tips of tweezers, but can't grip it or wiggle it free - it's really in there. I tried heating the hot end hoping maybe some heating & cooling would help, but no change.

The hot end is captive in the head because the wire leads are woven through the head, and I haven't been able to locate any advice or guide on whether it's advisable or not to disassemble anything any further. Does anyone on this board have any advice for me?

2016-10-06 11.13.42.jpg

2CNK

Re: Need suggestions on how to fix this hot end problem

Postby 2CNK » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:11 pm

I managed to get the hot end off, but it's a mystery how to get that screw out - might have to just drill it out.

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:20 am

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:34 am

That seems you can only unplug the cables from the extrude board and remove the whole hotend and cables from the head part.
Then check whether you can get the heating cartridge out. Or you need to replace a new alu-block and heating cartridge.

2CNK

Re: Need suggestions on how to fix this hot end problem (solved)

Postby 2CNK » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:32 am

@Wibb, ouch that is messy looking.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:That seems you can only unplug the cables from the extrude board and remove the whole hotend and cables from the head part.
Then check whether you can get the heating cartridge out. Or you need to replace a new alu-block and heating cartridge.

That is what I did in the end. Very awkward but it worked and I removed the hot end successfully. I can drill out the screw but like Wibb I don't think I can save the hot end.

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:48 pm

the screw is likely to be hardened steel (8.8 or 10.9 grade) which a drill wont touch (unless you use carbide tip bits) but even so they are so small in diameter that you will need a stable drill press to avoid breaking the drill. either way, the heater block is kapput.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm

HOW ABOUT A MAGNET! heat it up hot, apply a neodymium magnet and hope it will pull it out!

Wibb

Postby Wibb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 pm

maybe it can be tapped out with some percussive force?

2CNK

Postby 2CNK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:26 pm

Wibb wrote:the screw is likely to be hardened steel (8.8 or 10.9 grade) which a drill wont touch (unless you use carbide tip bits) but even so they are so small in diameter that you will need a stable drill press to avoid breaking the drill. either way, the heater block is kapput.

I already ordered a replacement, but for the record I was hoping that putting it in a press and drilling a bit might loosen not the screw, but the broken-off tip of the wrench inside the screw's head.

If that doesn't work I'll carefully hacksaw the block to at least salvage the heating cartridge. Either way, like you said, I've resigned myself to the fact that the block is a casualty.

Started out needing to unclog a nozzle, ended with this all due to one screw :)

Return to “Hardware”