Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
WLTalbot

Re: Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Postby WLTalbot » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:46 pm

Brand New V2Pro Plus same issue, only Raise3D branded filament seems to be working, all other filaments I have tried including brands supposedly approved for use in Raise3D printers do NOT work. Same situation not enough cooling above the nozzle. Since this is a new machine I am tempted to send the dang thing back and buy another brand since this has been going on for a long time and NOTHING has been done by Raise3D to fix anything.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:05 pm

Would you like to list more information about the filament you have issue with? Filament type and brand. If there's anything we have experience using before, we may can give out some suggestions based on our using experience.
And can you tell where the filament is getting jammed or any picture can show the issue will be helpful.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Vicky,

This thread alone started 2 years ago and the issues with the Raise Pro2, you guys keep saying that your tech is investigating the problem, can we please get an estimation on when this will end (2030 maybe!).

You released a new printer and yet you have to resolve the problems people are facing with their machines.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:13 pm

WLTalbot wrote:Brand New V2Pro Plus same issue, only Raise3D branded filament seems to be working, all other filaments I have tried including brands supposedly approved for use in Raise3D printers do NOT work. Same situation not enough cooling above the nozzle. Since this is a new machine I am tempted to send the dang thing back and buy another brand since this has been going on for a long time and NOTHING has been done by Raise3D to fix anything.

The same problem here. I am annoyed that I did not return the machine immediately.

blackarrow

Postby blackarrow » Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Vicky/anyone from R3D,
The thermal issues w/ this printer surmount to outright fraud. Have R3D fix the problem now, please.
Thank you

spally

Postby spally » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:49 am

I started to get this exact issue with my N2 Plus when I upgraded to the BondTech extruder. I found the issue more often when using higher temp filaments and even more when I used the top cover. The issue for me was the stepper motor would get very hot and the heat would transfer through the drive shaft, enough to soften the filament at the gears and I would end up with melted plastic before the ptfe tubes. When it was like this, the steppers we too hot to touch more more than a second. To resolve it, I adjusted the voltage down on the stepper motor drivers and now my steppers run warm, never hot, and I haven't had the issue since. As part of the Bontech upgrade you have to drop the voltage to 0.5V but I have gone a touch lower, 4.8V from memory. And I haven't noticed any performance difference due to the lower voltage. I use allot of Polymide CoPA in my machine without any issues, even with the cover on.

dandixon

Postby dandixon » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:04 am

I hated reading this post. In The Same Boat. Was sold this printer based on that it's a professional-grade printer and prints hight temp CF type materials without any issues. Have nothing but problems with jamming. The same goes for printing with PVA as supports. I'm past my 30 days and don't think I can return it.

I'll try your fan mod. Thanks for the insight.

DevLabs

Postby DevLabs » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:59 am

We are having the same exact issue. Very disappointing due to the price of the printer. Will file a trouble ticket.

TaterMay

Postby TaterMay » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm

blackarrow wrote:Vicky/anyone from R3D,
The thermal issues w/ this printer surmount to outright fraud. Have R3D fix the problem now, please.
Thank you

What thermal issues are you referring to? I have used a Pro 2 Plus nearly daily at my job for about a year now, and the only issues I have encountered are issues every printer I have ever used will have. Mainly some filament absorbing moisture. I can't think of a single issue that I would say has been due to the printer in any way. I am surprised seeing all this, as this has been the best printer for the money I have used. We also have a $250k Fortus 450, and I would use the Pro 2 Plus over it in all but a handful of very specific situations.

Genuinely curious about this, as I also know that FDM printing has a lot of little quirks that users need to understand to get good, consistent prints.

Paul123

Postby Paul123 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:22 pm

I have the same issues than nearly everyone here who is printing at higher temperatures or with softer filaments.
It seems that it is definitely impossible printing longer than 3 hours with closed housing, nozzle tmps like 240 deg.C and heating plate > 60 deg.

I would be glad if anybody from the Raise3D team would deny my statement, providing hints at the same time how one can prevent filament troubles at that conditions. Only solution i can see at the moment is a water cooling. Being honest i am of the opinion that its the complete false strategy trying to gloss over the problems, whereas it would be great providing the necessary upgrades - as a cheap bundle for people having the machine already, as well as e.g. "high temperature kit" for people willing to buy the raise3d pro 2 and using it for other materials than PLA. Doing so would be a huge step forward in showcasing your products as reliable ones...

TaterMay wrote:What thermal issues are you referring to? I have used a Pro 2 Plus nearly daily at my job for about a year now, and the only issues I have encountered are issues every printer I have ever used will have. Mainly some filament absorbing moisture. I can't think of a single issue that I would say has been due to the printer in any way. I am surprised seeing all this, as this has been the best printer for the money I have used. We also have a $250k Fortus 450, and I would use the Pro 2 Plus over it in all but a handful of very specific situations.

Genuinely curious about this, as I also know that FDM printing has a lot of little quirks that users need to understand to get good, consistent prints.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:41 pm

I doubt that Raise will get an upgrade that eliminates the problems. "Mods & hacks welcome" is the heading in the forum, but so far I have not been able to find anything from a "Welcome". Apparently all the improvements that can be found here fizzle out. Of course, it hurts to find that an investment for a lot of money doesn't work as expected. There is now the possibility to be angry and to wait whether the manufacturer stirs, or to take things into their own hands. And yes, it costs your hard-earned money again! But I tell you, it is worth taking the initiative! Water cooling and print bed conversion complement each other perfectly. Since my modifications a good 3 months ago, the machine has been working as it should. The upper hood generally stays on and prints of more than 30 hours run to the end without any problems. No material clogs, nothing overheats, and the build plate doesn't leap up! However, if you want to save your machine and have fun with the printer again, you should be aware that an investment of around 500 bucks is due. If you are willing to invest the time and money, you will get a new printer. You should also keep in mind that a later possible resale will result in a better price. Every insider will only pay the scrap price for an original Pro2 because he knows all the problems. Just my 2 cents ...
Oh yes, postings like "I print everything and have never had such problems" are fakes and trolls.

TaterMay

Postby TaterMay » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Nope. Not a fake, nor a troll. In fact, I work in the US for a manufacturer from your country, which is where I use the Pro2 Plus daily. Also, unrelated, Germany is maybe my favorite country/culture of all. :)

I have sitting in front of me at least 10 prints that range from 1 hour to full weekend prints. These are in PLA, TPU (PolyFlex), and Nylon (Taulman3D Alloy 910). The only issues I have had with clogs were due to not maintaining the moisture/humidity of the filament. I have never had an issue with the bed moving outside of the one time a coworker installed it without tightening the screws.

I get that you are frustrated, however, the people on this forum are an incredibly small sample size of all Pro2 customers, and those with issues are much more likely to join a forum, as they are looking for solutions to their issues. So I don't think there is even remotely enough evidence to be speaking of a class action suit or something similar (this may have been someone else I remember saying that, not saying that was you). Further, many of the people I have seen posting here have issues I have personally experienced which were completely unrelated to the printer (e.g. damp filament).

I'm not saying you don't have issues. I was genuinely curious about which issues you have, as I have had nearly 100% positive experiences with mine. I ask because every once in a while, a different perspective or sharing experiences can make all the difference.

Markus64 wrote:I doubt that Raise will get an upgrade that eliminates the problems. "Mods & hacks welcome" is the heading in the forum, but so far I have not been able to find anything from a "Welcome". Apparently all the improvements that can be found here fizzle out. Of course, it hurts to find that an investment for a lot of money doesn't work as expected. There is now the possibility to be angry and to wait whether the manufacturer stirs, or to take things into their own hands. And yes, it costs your hard-earned money again! But I tell you, it is worth taking the initiative! Water cooling and print bed conversion complement each other perfectly. Since my modifications a good 3 months ago, the machine has been working as it should. The upper hood generally stays on and prints of more than 30 hours run to the end without any problems. No material clogs, nothing overheats, and the build plate doesn't leap up! However, if you want to save your machine and have fun with the printer again, you should be aware that an investment of around 500 bucks is due. If you are willing to invest the time and money, you will get a new printer. You should also keep in mind that a later possible resale will result in a better price. Every insider will only pay the scrap price for an original Pro2 because he knows all the problems. Just my 2 cents ...
Oh yes, postings like "I print everything and have never had such problems" are fakes and trolls.

TaterMay

Postby TaterMay » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm

I have also printed plenty with all of the parameters you mention. I assume you are diligent about keeping Nylon, TPU, etc. dry? This is the thing that has caused the most headache for me, and it made things so easy once I realized how sensitive some materials are to moisture.

Paul123 wrote:I have the same issues than nearly everyone here who is printing at higher temperatures or with softer filaments.
It seems that it is definitely impossible printing longer than 3 hours with closed housing, nozzle tmps like 240 deg.C and heating plate > 60 deg.

I would be glad if anybody from the Raise3D team would deny my statement, providing hints at the same time how one can prevent filament troubles at that conditions. Only solution i can see at the moment is a water cooling. Being honest i am of the opinion that its the complete false strategy trying to gloss over the problems, whereas it would be great providing the necessary upgrades - as a cheap bundle for people having the machine already, as well as e.g. "high temperature kit" for people willing to buy the raise3d pro 2 and using it for other materials than PLA. Doing so would be a huge step forward in showcasing your products as reliable ones...

TaterMay wrote:What thermal issues are you referring to? I have used a Pro 2 Plus nearly daily at my job for about a year now, and the only issues I have encountered are issues every printer I have ever used will have. Mainly some filament absorbing moisture. I can't think of a single issue that I would say has been due to the printer in any way. I am surprised seeing all this, as this has been the best printer for the money I have used. We also have a $250k Fortus 450, and I would use the Pro 2 Plus over it in all but a handful of very specific situations.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 pm

No question about it, whoever uses wet filament is to blame. But in the case of the Pro2 it is too easy to blame the filament or user. The device clearly has thermal defects, not to mention the miserable hotends. Problems with particularly soft filaments don't really surprise me. The extruder motors get too warm and give off the heat in the direction of the frictional drive. An already soft filament becomes even softer and the problem is there. My suspicion is confirmed because the feed behavior has changed (improved) since the active cooling of both extruder motors. I am happy that you have not had any problems so far. That many other massive problems have and would like to throw the machine out of the window is shown by many of the letters I get. Apparently there are qualitative differences between the production batches. I can't explain it any other way. My machine now prints every material WITH the hood attached and regardless of whether the filament is recommended or not. Like you, I am grateful for any exchange of experiences.

TaterMay

Postby TaterMay » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:39 pm

The hood is one thing I glossed over. I am printing without the hood unless I am using PLA, as I am printing directly from a PolyBox container. I will be drilling the hood and placing the PolyBox directly on the hood this week, so I will let you know whether or not I experience any changes in print quality.

Markus64 wrote:No question about it, whoever uses wet filament is to blame. But in the case of the Pro2 it is too easy to blame the filament or user. The device clearly has thermal defects, not to mention the miserable hotends. Problems with particularly soft filaments don't really surprise me. The extruder motors get too warm and give off the heat in the direction of the frictional drive. An already soft filament becomes even softer and the problem is there. My suspicion is confirmed because the feed behavior has changed (improved) since the active cooling of both extruder motors. I am happy that you have not had any problems so far. That many other massive problems have and would like to throw the machine out of the window is shown by many of the letters I get. Apparently there are qualitative differences between the production batches. I can't explain it any other way. My machine now prints every material WITH the hood attached and regardless of whether the filament is recommended or not. Like you, I am grateful for any exchange of experiences.

CYNg

Postby CYNg » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:48 am

Hi, just gotten my pro2 and had a series of good print for 2 weeks. However, it started to ‘cough’ these few days. The filament is unable to push through from the PTEE tube into the hot end. See attached picture (Note, I have push the filament from the bottom and it is unable to clear out and get into the PTEE tube). The filament just get struct at the gap and unable to get into the hole ... any suggestion what could have cause this.
Attachments
0c178efc-ad66-4978-a658-b226d049f309.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 am

Please refer to this guide. https://support.raise3d.com/Pro2-Series ... 4-387.html
Follow steps 9 and 10 and ensure that the PTFE insert is not damaged and also inserted all the way into the extruder carrage. Also, ensure that it it clean of any debris.

Return to “Hardware”