Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
elzury128

Re: Extruder Jam and stuck fillament Pro2

Postby elzury128 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 am

RAISE3D I have the same exactly issue and is so really annoying. Please let us know if you are working to solve this issue due to apparently is a design problem. I would be able to buy another "feeding system" but you need completely make sure that it would solve the problem. Really the machine is not to bad just need to improve. I bought it for business purposes but I'm kind of disappointed. So please confirm if you would will to solve this problem or not.

Thanks...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 pm

elzury128 wrote:RAISE3D I have the same exactly issue and is so really annoying. Please let us know if you are working to solve this issue due to apparently is a design problem. I would be able to buy another "feeding system" but you need completely make sure that it would solve the problem. Really the machine is not to bad just need to improve. I bought it for business purposes but I'm kind of disappointed. So please confirm if you would will to solve this problem or not.

Thanks...

Would you like to share us some pictures of the print result with Raise3D Premium PLA? We'd like to help based on the pictures.

elzury128

Postby elzury128 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
elzury128 wrote:RAISE3D I have the same exactly issue and is so really annoying. Please let us know if you are working to solve this issue due to apparently is a design problem. I would be able to buy another "feeding system" but you need completely make sure that it would solve the problem. Really the machine is not to bad just need to improve. I bought it for business purposes but I'm kind of disappointed. So please confirm if you would will to solve this problem or not.

Thanks...

Would you like to share us some pictures of the print result with Raise3D Premium PLA? We'd like to help based on the pictures.

Hi Vicky,

I don't have Raise3D Premium PLA to perform that test, however searching on Raise community I realized many customers have same problem. The problem is the same that is mentioned on "filament stepper motors very hot" topic and all points to a design problem in the hot end and the heat sinks. I just want to make sure if there is going to be a sooner solution to decide if I keep the machine or I return it to vendor. Again the machine is not bad just need to improve and I think you need to give priority to this too much common issue.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:06 pm

elzury128 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

Thanks...

Hi Vicky,

I don't have Raise3D Premium PLA to perform that test, however searching on Raise community I realized many customers have same problem. The problem is the same that is mentioned on "filament stepper motors very hot" topic and all points to a design problem in the hot end and the heat sinks. I just want to make sure if there is going to be a sooner solution to decide if I keep the machine or I return it to vendor. Again the machine is not bad just need to improve and I think you need to give priority to this too much common issue.

As far as I known, the R&D team is currently running the final round testing on the firmware and software. If everything goes well, we should can see it in coming weeks. But until we get some actual result, it's hard for me to give out an exact schedule.

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:01 pm

The machine should be better tested before and designed. Raise can be better than Ultimaker, but your team neat to watch surrounding. This is the WAR! No time for mistakes or bad decisions. Do you want to win? Hard work only and customers voice! Watch UM. Fast printing cores. Very good move. Filament tested and many other brand profiles. Open source software. Often updated with a lot of new features. Open Source structure. If you want to win you need to work harder.

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:17 am

I think I have jusdt ended up with somethgin similar only with a V2 Dual with a bond tech. It sounds very similar to what you guys are saying, lots of tapping like gears catching, the material broke just under gear weehl when you are and screw the spring bolt in on the bond tech all I get is thr knock know shake whihc I think is gears skippign under strain.

Have taken off the nopzzel, dont know how to get at any blocked material, is there a way to sort this withtou removing the hot end and having to try and level it again, Will removing the bond tech enable me to get at the jam?

Spikeysonic

Postby Spikeysonic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:19 am

it was pet g in left and pva in right, this is after a failed print that looked like an afro haircut stringiy mess but underneath it I saw what looked like a layer shift if it helps.

X12

Postby X12 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Same problem. This is the second time I will have to disassemble the hotend for a stuck piece inside (on the Pro2 plus). It would be nice if the factory published the disassembly instructions on the web site. I do not have this problem with our N2plus.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Hope this instruction under this page can help:
https://www.raise3d.com/collections/pro ... inter-only

JCprint

Postby JCprint » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:55 am

I have exactly the same issue with our pro2. The fan lasted 5mins before the majority of the blades simply fell off. This may well have something to do with the rated max temperature for the fan of 70deg. :?
We've replaced the fan with a similar format fan but now the nozzle is continually getting clogged. (PLA)
I believe Jetguy has diagnosed the issue and the I think the solutions are varied but the end result the same. It needs better cooling so that the filament has more strength before it meets the hotend.
I am going to try reversing the fan so that it blows instead of sucks and add an inlet cone to increase the fans efficiency.

Also, even when the right hand extruder is disabled with the slicing software, the machine heats the right extruder to temp at the start of a plot. This is an unfortunate waste of time and energy that then needs to be cooled. I assume this is in the start Gcode but there should be a link to disabling this in the slicing software or am I missing something?

Overall from a mechanical engineering point of view the head design is woeful and requires serious attention.

jimdurt

Postby jimdurt » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm

I had an immediate jam on the Pro2 Plus with the Premium PLA purchased from Raised3D. Had to contact customer support for instructions on how to remove. Have not used PLA since. Feeds ABS okay, but have stopped using Raise3D filament all together. Much better brands out there that are truly "Premium".

First print after the jam with white ABS resulted in a leak on the hotend due to a loose nozzle. The feed tube to nozzle connection was not tight from the factory and resulted in a horrible mess to remove. Ended up with a broke heater rod wire that was not covered under warranty according to Raise3D. So now I am waiting for a $10 part to use my $6000 printer. :evil:
Attachments
Overextrusion.jpg

Korni

Postby Korni » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:07 pm

:o
Pro2+ Image

JCprint

Postby JCprint » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:56 pm

I believe I may have a fix for this issue. Based on the analysis from Jetguy, I too believe the problem is that the cooling is not good enough. PLA has a glass transition temp of just 60deg and past this temp, does not have the structural integrity to push the molten PLA through the nozzle. As I think I mentioned earlier the original fan lasted 5 minutes and the replacement fan we bought, whilst lasting a little longer eventually failed (was running noticeably slower). Simply replacing the fan fixed the clogging issue immediately however I believe the fan will fail again if the cause is not rectified.
The most likely reason for the fan failing is that it is only rated to 70deg and it is pulling the hot air from the extruders. It should be blowing not sucking, This would not only bring cooler air past the fan but the turbulent air creates better convective cooling than the incoming weak laminar airflow.
I also made an inlet nozzle to increase the fans efficiency.
I'll run it this way for a while and let you know how it goes.
fan and inlet cone2.JPG

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 am

Use fan mod. Side fan spacers and better flow mount for main.

walleywalker

Postby walleywalker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:01 pm

My left extruder just jammed with PLA, and like everyone else I now have to take the whole thing apart. I touched the fan and half the blades fell off. It now vibrates so badly that I can't even turn it on.

JCprint

Postby JCprint » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Happy to report that since replacing the fan with one from Jaycar and adding the inlet nozzle we have had no issues at all. I've attached the STL of the inlet nozzle if anyone is interested.
Fan inlet cone.STL
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 898 times
As mentioned earlier my original fan sucked the hot air from the head which apparently is not how it is supposed to come from the factory and would have no doubt contributed to its premature failure. The new fan blows (no pun intended)

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 pm

I have offset side fans also and main fan bracket has better flow - printed with ABS too. But cone is the interesting idea anyway. You can easily check it by vales of inactive second extruder. After my mods temperature is lower average 10 degrees all time.

walleywalker

Postby walleywalker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:53 pm

JCprint wrote:Happy to report that since replacing the fan with one from Jaycar and adding the inlet nozzle we have had no issues at all. I've attached the STL of the inlet nozzle if anyone is interested.
Fan inlet cone.STL
As mentioned earlier my original fan sucked the hot air from the head which apparently is not how it is supposed to come from the factory and would have no doubt contributed to its premature failure. The new fan blows (no pun intended)

Hey thank you! I am adding that to my modifications now. I also just printed this and am hoping for some better results. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3136754

I'm also happy to report that I was able to unclog my heat creep backup by heating the whole nozzle up to 260C and letting it sit heated for 30 minutes with a fan with a bunch of busted blades on it. It must have heat creeped enough again to allow me to plunge the semi melted slug through. I wouldn't advocate for it, but it's possible if you run into this clog situation you could unplug your main fan temporarily to allow the heat creep to happen, then push the whole clog through from up top. Not sure if there's risk to overheating, but it worked for me.

walleywalker

Postby walleywalker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 pm

Unfortunately I had another heat creep jam last night even with all the add on modifications. Not sure what to do from here. Ran with the lid off and the door open.

Should I add fans to the stepper motors? Should I run faster to prevent melting in the feed throat? Should I cool my hot ends down a bunch?

Shelton

Postby Shelton » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:13 pm

Use fan mods.

Return to “Hardware”