Converting V2 Hotends to E3D-V6

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
camfather

Converting V2 Hotends to E3D-V6

Postby camfather » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi all,
I just finished modifying the cold ends of the E3D's to fit the mounting on the N2. I failed to measure the heater cartridge voltage while it was assembled so I have a few questions maybe someone can answer.

Is the voltage of the stock V2 heater 12v or 24v?

Can I use the E3D type K thermocouple with the N2 amplifier board that is installed using the original temp sensor settings of -1 in the Marlin firmware? They both appear to use the AD597 IC

If no to the above, the stock V2 thermocouple has red and black wires. Most US ANSI standard thermocouples use the red wire as negative. Is this the case with these as well?

Thanks for any input.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Converting V2 Hotends to E3D-V6

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:48 am

The voltage is 24V.

We haven't tested E3D's thermocouple yet, not sure whether it works. If it is the same AD597 IC, maybe you can try it on right thermocouple's slot to check whether it work.

Our red wire positive, . Here is our wiring:
2.png

camfather

Postby camfather » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks Vicky! This is exactly the information I needed. Do you know the wattage of your heater cartridges?

I would like to use 40w but I don't want to tax the electronics. 25w and 30w are also available to me.

flexrc

Postby flexrc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:25 pm

Please post the steps of how to convert it

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 am

Ours is 60w.
Not sure whether the 40w's one can work properly. It may take longer heating time or cannot reach the target temperature.

camfather

Postby camfather » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks Vicky! So the stock set up is pulling 2.5 amps and the 40w heater will only pull 1.7 amps so it shouldn't be a problem.

@12v and 30 watts (2.5 amps) my other E3D-V6 go from 20C to 200C in just 65 seconds. I don't know if that is slower or not, but fast enough for me :)

flexrc, I'll post some photos once I have it working. Probably this weekend as I wait for the rest of the parts to arrive.

My modification isn't something you can do at home with out access to a mill or lathe though.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:38 am

How much is the rated voltage and wattage of your new heater?

If it is 12V, its current will be a little high.

camfather

Postby camfather » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:48 am

Vicky, it will be 40 watts @ 24 volts. That will be 20 watts less then than the stock heater cartridge, and I will share my unbiased results with the board shortly for those interested. :)

Target data will include at the least the following.

1) Heat up time
2) Ability to hit target temps
3) Max temps

Please don't take my conversion as bad thing against the V2 hotend you created. For me it's more because I have a long history with the E3D-V6 heads (I know what settings for temp, extrusion, retraction, bridging, etc work for me for what I do), and I am currently running 3 of them on my other printers so I have a lot of spare parts, nozzles, etc so it only made sense for me to keep my consumables compatible across the multiple platforms of printers I have.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:37 am

Please understand that I was just a little concerned that you might not check the details and wanted you to make sure that you would connect correct things to your printer. Didn't take anything as a bad thing.

camfather

Postby camfather » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:30 am

Update...
So far all is working as I thought it should. The E3D-V6 universal mounts heat up with a 24 Volt, 40 watt heater cartridge from 23°C to 240°c in 45 seconds.
The Type K thermocouple is a direct swap to the N2 extrusion board, also using red as positive + and black as negative -
Flow rate needs to be changed from the V2 hotend default of 94% to 100% or you will see voids in your flat prints, obviously fine tuning for the extruders should be done at the firmware level.

Next steps for me to test are
Run PID tuning and mount PWM cooling fans.
Retest extruding PEEK and ULTEM @ 380°C
Testing Vespel tubing to replace the Teflon Tubing in the E3D to accommodate even higher printing temperatures.

Basic install involves the following steps.

Machine the groove mount end of the E3D-V6 to the smaller dia with 4 flat sides to accommodate mounting to the stock N2 mount.
Drill the stock N2 Teflon liner to accept the Teflon tube that mounts to the E3D cold side.
Adjust the Z limit switch, either by using a .400" tall raiser and flipping the stock "screw post" block from under the bed to on top of the bed, using a 25mm M3 cap screw, or adjusting the firmware values for MIN/MAX Z

I'll take and upload photos if anyone is interested in seeing anything specific.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:15 am

Thanks for sharing the steps!

Regatta

Postby Regatta » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:52 am

camfather wrote:Update...

Basic install involves the following steps.

Machine the groove mount end of the E3D-V6 to the smaller dia with 4 flat sides to accommodate mounting to the stock N2 mount.
Drill the stock N2 Teflon liner to accept the Teflon tube that mounts to the E3D cold side.
Adjust the Z limit switch, either by using a .400" tall raiser and flipping the stock "screw post" block from under the bed to on top of the bed, using a 25mm M3 cap screw, or adjusting the firmware values for MIN/MAX Z

I'll take and upload photos if anyone is interested in seeing anything specific.

i'd like to see more about this setup, if you'd be able to post some photos. being able to extrude Ultem on the N2 would be awesome.
i was considering the E3D volcano / super-volcano,
and i saw a thread about the Keenovo bed mod to increase max temp

what about heating the chamber? does anyone know realistically how hot could those components handle?
i was also considering insulating the enclosure, short of some small viewing windows, even tho it would look terrible

Return to “Hardware”