Fan Upgrade

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Naser404

Re: Fan Upgrade

Postby Naser404 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Either my dimensions are off or the model for the mosquito i downloaded from their site is not correct but in my model they clash or just barely touch, i have to re-check again.

Are you using the original Raise Heater cartridges ? do they fit the mosquito or need modification ? What about the screw holding them ?
Attachments
Clash screw.JPG

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 pm

No I use the Slice ones - the Raise thermocouples and heaters are way too long. You will need a new K type thermocouple under 23mm in length and 3mm in diameter. - I can make them for you if you want.

You need to rotate one hotend 180° so they clear each other - see pic in previous post.

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:10 pm

Hi John,

Good Job with the Mosquito mods, nice and simple.

With E3d, you can just machine the top on a lathe to make it fit using Raise mount, but i was thinking something along these lines.

You basically rotate the top brass fitting to adjust the height height.
Attachments
Raise-E3d Edition.JPG
Raise-E3d Edition cut view.JPG

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:38 pm

That's cool but the longer the whole thing is the greater the force moments are from movement of the heavy block - keeping the block as close to the cross bars as possible is more important IMO.

I want to make a new heat sink for the mosquito that eliminates the Raise clamp and just uses a set screw to hold onto the lifting mechanism - basically cut the Mosquito heat sink in half vertically and use the stock cooling or my blower design. The Mosquito is so efficient at not transferring heat off the block that you really don't need much cooling at all. You can in fact run the Mosquito without ANY cooling at standard temps (<250) and it won't jam.

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:45 pm

I agree its too long and the fixture Raise is using isn't the best for this solution,With E3d you really don't need the the last couple of fins as most heat is transferred at the bottom ones.

With the Mosquito the other issue might be the way its clamped at the bottom, not very rigid.

Lets see what i can do with V6.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Not sure what you mean by the mosquito not being rigid? It's way more rigid than the e3D - you can torque nozzles without supporting the block. If you did this with any other hot end you'd snap the heat break.

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:08 am

Here is the new design, the first one worked but wasn't as good and was too long, this basically has a 2mm height adjustments and is only about 45mm from top to bottom of heat sink.

The Middle Nut (not yet added a Belleville washer) adjusts nozzle height while side grub screw for alignment. It will be fixed using Raise proprietary fixture and should be more rigid.
Attachments
Mod.2.JPG
Mod.2 cut.JPG

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Correction; 62mm in extended mode.
Attachments
Mod.3.JPG

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Instead of using the Raise clamp why don't you eliminate it and just incorporate a 6mm ID x 4-5mm high tube with set screw into your design - that would make the whole thing shorter and give you even fewer places for things to get loose out of alignment etc. The Raise clamp thing has always baffled me - WTF?

The end of the nozzle lifting shaft is 6mm OD with a flat on the front and back and countersunk holes on the left and right for set screws. I think designing the top of your adapter to slide over this shaft perfectly would be ideal and you could use the existing 3mm countersunk holes in the raise shaft for you set screw.

I think you will find what I found using the mosquitos - it works fine but the whole thing becomes too pendulous and amplifies motion artifact. Keeping the block and nozzle as close to the motion bars as possible is ideal. This is where the mosquito has potential - it transfers so little heat out of the melt zone that you can get away with a tiny heat sink (the little copper one on the mosquito) or none at all if the thing is mounted to a metal carriage. The only reason the mosquito has a 25mm aluminum heat sink is so people can print adapters out of PLA and attach it to anything.

-John

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Hi John,

I agree, the mosquito is a better option but i'd rather try using the hardware i have and then once i complete this project then i can move on to something new. I have already shortened the E3D. but i would like to know whats the total weight of the mosquito hotend please.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:26 am

It's about 55-60gm with fan, TC and heating element - hard to weigh with attached wires...

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:12 pm

For now i customized the E3D hotend to be shorter and also to fit the Raise heat breaker.
Attachments
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1205.jpg

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Nice - should do the trick - so you retapped the block to take the e3D heat break?

BTW the blower mode works pretty damn good:

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 207#p47051

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:31 pm

ocelot27 wrote:Nice - should do the trick - so you retapped the block to take the e3D heat break?

BTW the blower mode works pretty damn good:

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 207#p47051

-john

Hi John,

Yes i retapped it, i have no idea why Raise have different threads on it except for alignment to fit in one way and not the other, but the simplest design is always the best one.

They could have also asked E3D to make them a special hotend like BCN3D did with their Sigma. Anyway i have yet to stress test it before i can say how well it works.

FInally the reason i don't use your mod is that i have already modified my PSU and electronics box to reduce the noise and that fan your using is too loud.

Return to “Hardware”