Fan Upgrade

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
mark_3d

Fan Upgrade

Postby mark_3d » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm

i'm thinking to upgrade the fan on the extruder and install two 96mm fans in the mainboard. I want to install four 40mm fans on the double extruder. I saw that 40mm fan have only 3 or 4 pin connector, but the printer need 2 pin connector. On the main board there is a place to connect two 96mm fans?

Spud

Re: Fan Upgrade

Postby Spud » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 pm

I just sent support a picture showing what I think could be slots for additional fans.
They are circled in red.
Attachments
Image.jpeg
California, USA
R3D Pro2

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 pm

I would not draw more current than the current configuration - you can substitute blowers for fans to create more static pressure - not sure what the FET's on the extruder board are spec'd at...

-john

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 pm

FETS on the extruder break are spec'd for at least 60A - no that's not a typo or misprint.
However, the fans are powered via a 3A max rated 12V regulator on the mainboard, and then that 12V is transported to the extruder breakout PCB via the ribbon cable connector. This is the same for both N series and Pro series (even though there are differences, this is not one of them and common shared design element).
Keep in mind, the 12V loads that already exist from the same shared 12V source
LED strips
Mainboard blower
All 12V fans at the extruder breakout.

So yes, sound advice to not exceed the original rating, however, one should also have a good idea of the existing load and limits- something raise3D is not going to tell you in the detail I just gave.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Put in context, a typical fan is about 0.1 to 0.15A rating on the label. One probably could put a 0.2A higher speed fan in place without issue. It's when you go for a 0.5A fan or better yet, 2 in parallel for a total of 1A that it begins to be less recommended for total load- keeping in mind 3A absolute max for everything, You add more LED strips, you add more fans, you change to higher powered fans, in certain combos would exceed max.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 am

Glad someone took the time to dig a little deeper than I have - I noticed when experimenting with alternate fans and blowers that increasing the current only slightly caused the speed on all the fans to drop slightly indicating the aforementioned 3A limit. - would not push things to the point of seeing this happening.

-john

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

You could add a fan that is not powered by the printer to blow on the heat sinks imo. If you need more powerful fans to blow on the printed filament then you would have some extra amps to work with. The fan that blows on the heat sinks is always on anyway.

Return to “Hardware”