Fan Upgrade

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
mark_3d

Fan Upgrade

Postby mark_3d » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:09 pm

i'm thinking to upgrade the fan on the extruder and install two 96mm fans in the mainboard. I want to install four 40mm fans on the double extruder. I saw that 40mm fan have only 3 or 4 pin connector, but the printer need 2 pin connector. On the main board there is a place to connect two 96mm fans?

Spud

Re: Fan Upgrade

Postby Spud » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 pm

I just sent support a picture showing what I think could be slots for additional fans.
They are circled in red.
Attachments
Image.jpeg
California, USA
R3D Pro2

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 pm

I would not draw more current than the current configuration - you can substitute blowers for fans to create more static pressure - not sure what the FET's on the extruder board are spec'd at...

-john

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:55 pm

FETS on the extruder break are spec'd for at least 60A - no that's not a typo or misprint.
However, the fans are powered via a 3A max rated 12V regulator on the mainboard, and then that 12V is transported to the extruder breakout PCB via the ribbon cable connector. This is the same for both N series and Pro series (even though there are differences, this is not one of them and common shared design element).
Keep in mind, the 12V loads that already exist from the same shared 12V source
LED strips
Mainboard blower
All 12V fans at the extruder breakout.

So yes, sound advice to not exceed the original rating, however, one should also have a good idea of the existing load and limits- something raise3D is not going to tell you in the detail I just gave.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed May 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Put in context, a typical fan is about 0.1 to 0.15A rating on the label. One probably could put a 0.2A higher speed fan in place without issue. It's when you go for a 0.5A fan or better yet, 2 in parallel for a total of 1A that it begins to be less recommended for total load- keeping in mind 3A absolute max for everything, You add more LED strips, you add more fans, you change to higher powered fans, in certain combos would exceed max.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:01 am

Glad someone took the time to dig a little deeper than I have - I noticed when experimenting with alternate fans and blowers that increasing the current only slightly caused the speed on all the fans to drop slightly indicating the aforementioned 3A limit. - would not push things to the point of seeing this happening.

-john

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Mon May 20, 2019 3:19 pm

You could add a fan that is not powered by the printer to blow on the heat sinks imo. If you need more powerful fans to blow on the printed filament then you would have some extra amps to work with. The fan that blows on the heat sinks is always on anyway.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 pm

I have a design that uses two 45mm blowers for part cooling - if anyone's interested I can put the design for the mounts and ducts on thingiverse.

This is the part I used - develops good static pressure and responds the PWM very well:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/2560687

-john

jvingaard

Postby jvingaard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

ocelot27 wrote:I have a design that uses two 45mm blowers for part cooling - if anyone's interested I can put the design for the mounts and ducts on thingiverse.

This is the part I used - develops good static pressure and responds the PWM very well:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/2560687

-john

interested 8-)

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm

Here's the left part(s) - still optimizing the duct angle and height - got it pretty much nailed down though - you will need 2.5mm heat set inserts and hardware and can use the original M3x8 screws from the machine to mount to the carriage

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3691333/files

-john
Attachments
IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1780.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 1.06.54 PM.jpg
Last edited by ocelot27 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm

This is what I really want to get up and running.... I'm pretty sure this 50mm blower can keep the anemic heatsinks cool enough to not need water cooling. Need to set it up and measure the temps on the heatsinks - this thing moves some serious air.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7691033

-john
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 1.20.47 PM.jpg

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:03 am

ocelot27 wrote:This is what I really want to get up and running.... I'm pretty sure this 50mm blower can keep the anemic heatsinks cool enough to not need water cooling. Need to set it up and measure the temps on the heatsinks - this thing moves some serious air.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7691033

-john

Are you water cooling the heatsink or the heat-break directly ? do you have the step file for that fan shroud as i want to make minor changes , i only see a mount and not the shroud for the delta.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I got the step from DigiKey - everything should be there? What do you mean by "shroud" - the duct?

I linked to the Sunon blower that I am using - there is no CAD for that model as far as I can tell - there is an identical Delta blower that does have a CAD:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1014446

I went with the Sunon model because it has slightly better numbers - static pressure, wattage etc.

I'm water cooling the heat breaks now but I think this will work for those who don't want to go that far.

This size blower is the biggest I could shoe-horn into the space available without hitting anything or creating monstrously complicated and unprintable ducting. It's a difficult space to work with especially when you don't have the CAD files for the carriage and have to measure and guess, print, adjust, reprint etc etc etc. I asked Raise for the carriage CAD and they refused and said any modification of the printer could have warrantee implications - I think I killed that deal the first day I had the printer considering it was useless for printing anything other than PLA.

Please share what changes you would make?

I have a Raise hot end set up with thermocouples to measure temps on the bottom fin against the tube and on the top fin of the heat sink- hope to get some data soon....

-john

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:11 pm

when i first clicked that link i couldn't see the duct, only the L&R mounting Plate.

I am already working on replacing the hotends with E3D V6 hotend but re-using their heat block. I am just in the process of reverse eng. their extruder 1st, but it's doable.

Their nozzle swap is complicated but it works, if i was to convert it to a bowden setup and swap to E3D than their will be no need to heat both extruders to be able to jog between them.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:11 pm

I think the Mosquito is the better route if you're going to switch to a different hot end entirely - smaller, lighter, shorter and more better. I have the design for the adapter plate if you want it.

-john

Return to “Hardware”