Off premises access, IM to printer

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
woofy

Off premises access, IM to printer

Postby woofy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi,

How do I access the printer which is at my work premises from a computer running IM at home?

Presumably I need to set up port forwarding, but which port number?
Raise3D N2+, Ultimaker2 & UP plus printers.

Jetguy

Re: Off premises access, IM to printer

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 pm

No, just no. What you just said, was, "I'm going to stick my N series on the internet via port forwarding, and because there is no password or authentication for control, anyone, anyone anwhere, can access my printer and print to it".

If you want to do this, install teamviewer or other application on a computer in the workplace running IM, and you remote into it, not the other way around.

Phife

Postby Phife » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:06 pm

Yeah, Teamviewer is the best bet. Ive been using it with no problems, I can even use the android app to access the computer next to the printer and control the printer from anywhere.

Also have a IP camera watching the prints so if anything goes wrong I can stop the printer remotely. Saves so much trouble.

You'll need to install and setup Teamviewer on a computer on the same network as the printer, that computer also needs to have ideaMaker. Then install teamviewer on the computer or device you want to use to access it the printer from. You can then control the remote computer just like you were sitting at it.

woofy

Postby woofy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at Teamviewer.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:19 pm

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:44 pm

And, on the topic of remote security, if this is on a School, Work, Government, or even just your basic home network, at a minimum, the bare minimum, users need to change the passwords. This is a complete mini computer running Linux operating system on your network. By default there are no passwords set to system critical services such as SSH.

http://www.raise3d.com/pages/touchscree ... ease-notes
Version 0.7.0 - June 15, 2016
Added a feature to set SSH password

It's bad enough to just have this on your network with a default blank password, however, it becomes a critical issue should you open your NAT and firewall to this to the internet. Your printer could be the next (whatever bad thing you can think of) server.

I was casually joking in this post- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658
but you could go from ha, ha, kinda funny, to wait, no, that's not funny at all in about under a minute if you just stick this printer out on the network with no passwords.

woofy

Postby woofy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Well that was easy.
I now have Teamviewer on my pc and phone, and can control the printer from anywhere.
Thanks again guys.

woofy

Postby woofy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:01 pm

And now at home on my laptop as well - sorted.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:44 pm

Please be aware of the dangers and risks if you run the printer remote or unattended

It could in the worst case cost you your house and/or lives

(not saying you cant or shouldnt, i do it too but be aware of the risks!)

woofy

Postby woofy » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:12 pm

The printer is actually at my work place, not home. I consider the risk small but even so I do have both a camera trained ln the print and an ethernet power switch to kill the power.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:17 pm

by the time a fire starts cutting the electricity will probably not do much good and the camera or cables might have been melted away already too. Supervision, smoke detector, a close by fire extinguisher and if at work maybe an automated sprinkler system would be better (and i do realize this is not always possible but would be advisable)

Prevention is done not only on the chance of something going wrong but also the severity IF it DOES go wrong.

There was some video online about someone that WAS at home, just in another room and by the time he saw it (10m from him) it was too late already and it burned down his home. (not sure might have been a link jetguy posted somewhere.... or at least a post he replied on)

Anyway, you are aware of it and hope you will never need it. :)

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:22 am

I just got my N2+ and also have it on a wifi plug (Belkin wemo). I connected it to IFTTT so if the Nest Protect smoke detector in the room detects smoke, it'll shut off the power. Not foolproof, but should react to an overheated printer fairly quickly.

PS: I also use Teamviewer for remote access and BlueIris to remotely view the print bed.
Raise3D N2+

Return to “Hardware”