Octoprint and hacking the touch screen?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
zemlin

Octoprint and hacking the touch screen?

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I ran Octoprint on my old printer and really like the flexibility and power of that setup. I understand I can plug a host into the motion controller with Octroprint, but lose the touch screen as a result.

I'm wondering if the touch screen is actually a cheap-o tablet that could be flashed with a different firmware so it runs Android with a WIFI connection to Octoprint and a web browser.

If it's just a touch screen with dedicated hardware, then that answer is obviously no. Another option would be to gut the touch-screen box and mount a cheap-o tablet in its place. I used a hand-me-down Kindle Fire on my old printer. Not ideal because I had to poke through ads every time I woke it up, but it worked.

I'm not sure I want to go there at this point, but thinking through the options.

Iamkar33m

Re: Octoprint and hacking the touch screen?

Postby Iamkar33m » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:36 pm

You're going to lose some of the features, such as the power-outage print recovery. I forget what else, but make sure you realize fully what you're losing before you do it. I was set on doing the same until I realized some of the more advanced features of the printer will no longer function.

Maybe instead of gutting out the factory touchscreen, 3D print a tablet holder that can be mounted to the front of the printer (over the existing touchscreen). This allows you to simply revert to factory setup by plugging the factory touchscreen back into the motion control board and removing the external tablet. You could also probably use the side USB port to provide power for it too.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Iamkar33m wrote:You're going to lose some of the features, such as the power-outage print recovery.
I have my printers on UPSs so power outage shouldn't be an issue. Also, I have never had a print fail that would have been recoverable with a restart, so IMHO the restart is a solution without a problem - but I hear ya'. Off hand I can't think of any feature in the touch screen that Octoprint doesn't do better - except the Raise interface is prettier.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:04 pm

The board is a pcDuino based on the Acadia. It is a custom board though specific to Raise 3D.
OK, this is going to make tech support unhappy. If you use a baseline image on SD card for LVDS display, it will boot from SD card and run if you configure the switches.
http://learn.linksprite.com/acadia/how- ... or-acadia/

So what you do is, go here on Linksprite and get the correct LVDS image for SD card, use win32 disk imager to write that to SD card, change the switches and bam- you got a whole different testbed operating system that does not touch the factory EMMC so you can revert back anytime. This one works https://s3.amazonaws.com/linkspriteacad ... f_lvds.img

Note that I was unable to get this newer version to boot properly
https://s3.amazonaws.com/linkspriteacad ... f_lvds.zip

Note, extreme caution, when looking at images on this page, do not get one that says EMMC. If you do, and you boot, it flashes over the EMMC image. http://www.linksprite.com/image-for-acadia/

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 pm

Again, in terms of relatively safe, if you follow what I just said to the letter, your control box will simply be running from SD card. You can install Octoprint or whatever you want (Repetier server is another option) and it runs fine. If you want to go back, just switch the switches back to EMMC boot (1,2,4,and 7 ON, 3,5,8 OFF) and it's all stock again.

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 pm

There is octoprint on the touchscreen however it is an older version and can not be updated. (I have tried). I openned a support ticket but it has become stall and forgotten at this point. Until i have my side project done, I don't feel comfortable trying to get it fixed which would likely require me to send the box back to them to be reflashed.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:53 pm

I finally got around to digging into this. My end-goal has changed - going to install a DUET 2 WIFI board, but the requirement on the touch screen is pretty much the same. I downloaded the IMG file you linked to and dumped it on an SD card. Flipped switches accordingly, and a desktop appears. The display, however, is barely readable - too bright and no contrast. It's also landscape on a portrait display.

I'm no linux geek, but I'm grey-haired enough that I've been around command lines and unix. There doesn't appear to be a wireless network device. There are no control options for the display that I can find - tried XRANDR without success. I have a mouse and keyboard plugged in and those are both working - so I'm guessing I need to figure out how to get device drivers installed - but initially it looks like I'll be able to use this as I had hoped - stand-alone interface through a web browser. Plugged in an ethernet cable and it's not happy with that either - no internet connection.

I'll keep poking at it to see what I can find. I welcome any tips you might offer up. TIA.

poldim

Postby poldim » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:20 pm

zemlin wrote:I finally got around to digging into this. My end-goal has changed - going to install a DUET 2 WIFI board, but the requirement on the touch screen is pretty much the same. I downloaded the IMG file you linked to and dumped it on an SD card. Flipped switches accordingly, and a desktop appears. The display, however, is barely readable - too bright and no contrast. It's also landscape on a portrait display.

I'm no linux geek, but I'm grey-haired enough that I've been around command lines and unix. There doesn't appear to be a wireless network device. There are no control options for the display that I can find - tried XRANDR without success. I have a mouse and keyboard plugged in and those are both working - so I'm guessing I need to figure out how to get device drivers installed - but initially it looks like I'll be able to use this as I had hoped - stand-alone interface through a web browser. Plugged in an ethernet cable and it's not happy with that either - no internet connection.

I'll keep poking at it to see what I can find. I welcome any tips you might offer up. TIA.

Hey @zemlin,

I'd like to run native octoprint on the unit. Have you been able to make any progress on this?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 pm

poldim wrote:Hey @zemlin,

I'd like to run native octoprint on the unit. Have you been able to make any progress on this?

I have not, and the Duet Web Control interface doesn't do as well in a portrait mode display - so I haven't put any more effort into it. My daughter had an old iPad that is working well as the interface to the printer with the Duet board - and I'll be able to put each of my printers in a separate browser tab.

Return to “Hardware”