What to do about squeaking rubber belts?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Noren

What to do about squeaking rubber belts?

Postby Noren » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 pm

The small rubber belt from the stepper motor that drives my Y-axis has starting to squeak. What can one do about this?

Jetguy

Re: What to do about squeaking rubber belts?

Postby Jetguy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Timing belts do not squeak. Either a bearing on the shaft is making noise or the pulley is loose on the shaft.
They are held with small setscrews.

Noren

Postby Noren » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Hm. Will film it tomorrow and post here. :) the sound is really rubbery. Hard to explain in words. :)

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:03 pm

This is for reference only. This is not the problem and I would not even go down this road.

That timing belt is a GT2 2mm pitch, 6mm wide, 200mm length. That makes it 100 tooth @2mm pitch.
https://www.amazon.com/2GT-Timing-Belt- ... B014R38TC6

The issue is, the N1, in order to change the belt you have to take the printer apart to slide the top shaft over and remove the old belt and install the new one. You really do have to take a LOT of the printer apart to change this. There is literally no reason for anyone to be changing this belt for a very, very, very long time as they should not be "wearing out".

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Are you sure the sound you hear is not the zhop on a super short hop?
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:24 pm

On my previous printer, i had better prints with the belts when they were lubricated. I used a PTFE spray, sprayed it into a container (the lid of the can) and applied it with a small paint brush or secured the surroundings with a towel and sprayed it carefulls directly onto the belts while moving the print head. I think, all things go togehter just a bit more smooth than without that. Tooth by tooth on the pulleys.... I totally agree, it shouldn't make a difference, and maybe it doesn't on the Raise Printer, but that's my expierence on my old trasky printer anyway.

I really haven't done that to my N1 tough, yet.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:49 pm

I'd avoid lubricant in my experience. You don't know long term how the lubricant affects the belt material and it's bonded layers. That's the key to these belts, the cords are the strength for not stretching, the face of the teeth has a layer of mesh that serves as the cushion layer against the pulley for anti-friction and wear purposes. Last, lubricant attracts dust, dirt, and grit. That just wears out everything faster.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Jetguy wrote:I'd avoid lubricant in my experience. You don't know long term how the lubricant affects the belt material and it's bonded layers. That's the key to these belts, the cords are the strength for not stretching, the face of the teeth has a layer of mesh that serves as the cushion layer against the pulley for anti-friction and wear purposes. Last, lubricant attracts dust, dirt, and grit. That just wears out everything faster.

Absolute valids points you stated, i concur.

It worked on my pos-printer for about half a year and maybe 10 kgs of ABS printed, but the printers electronics didn't last not long enough to gahter long term reliablilty data. That said, can't imagine using a little bit of a good PTFE spray one time damaging the mechanics if the belt knarls a bit. Of course, the mechanics need to be check out, for loose or damaged parts, misalignment and such, but if only the belt itself is left, why not give it a small shot ...

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm

The rubber squeaking noice was quite noticeable when printing. But made the most noise when moving the print head by hand. (With motors disabled off course). Today it was gone. Weird. Will post again if it comes back.

Return to “Hardware”