N1 Bondtech: How do I secure extruder wiring?

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
krohelm

N1 Bondtech: How do I secure extruder wiring?

Postby krohelm » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 am

My N1 has a large convoluted cable tube from the frame to the extruder. It frequently slips out of the mount on the frame and on the extruder, and it is too tall and stiff to allow the enclosure lid to be placed on.

What do I do with it with my new Bondtech extruder? There's nowhere to affix the rubber-lined cable strap, it still wants to pull out and fall all over the place and it still blocks the enclosure lid.

krohelm

Re: N1 Bondtech: How do I secure extruder wiring?

Postby krohelm » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 am

Well, I'm just going to engineer my way around this since I haven't been able to find another solution. On the plus side, this will let me make a more robust case for the extruder board too.

Seems like a mount something like this would be way better than that slipping rubber lined strap, even for the original setup. Not a super popular topic, maybe others don't encounter this somehow?

Fix log:

extruder wiring harness.PNG

The first cut at the extruder model. It has evolved since here quite a bit, need to move up to nylon. First timer with Alloy 910!

IMAG2760.jpg

Replaced the rubber grip strap on the frame with a locking, screw-on nylon strap I modeled for it. No more slipping back there. This was my first nylon print; I'll get the extruder mount done next.

extruder wiring harness.PNG

And finally, here we are.
Attachments
IMAG2761.jpg

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:02 pm

krohelm

Postby krohelm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:30 pm

That's a super nice solution. I was looking to refine the existing wiring, but that is a more rigorous redesign. Do you have any resources or information I can use to replicate your success? What I've got now will continue to work for some time but I've got other plans for the printer later this year that would benefit from a cable chain like this.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 pm

That's a IGUS E08.20.028.0 cable chain. You could probably better use the "filled from the inside(? Z-Series ?)" instead of the "from the outside E-series" but that's what i had at hand. Then it's a 4mm bracket on the chassis side, hold by the original 6mm bolt at the bottom and two M3 threads to bolt the cable chain to it. At the BondTech is a bracket cut out of a 40x40x1.5 Aluminium Rectangle profile. I prefered the sharp angle of the corner and drilled two holes to go into the BondTech housing and two threaded holes for fixing the cable chain. I offset the height of the M3's between chassis bracket and extruder bracket by 10 mm or so to begin with, and placing the M3-holes at the chassis bracket at 1.5 mm offset to work against the sagging of cable chain. After some printing hours, it sags a bit, but it's fine and mostly parallel now. Looks a bit silly, but works.

Return to “Hardware”