V2 Hot End Information and Q&A

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: V2 Hot End Information and Q&A

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:54 am

Andy Cohen wrote:It is now about 3 weeks since i sent you guys a file that reliably choked V1 even with R3D filament. I have yet to hear that V2 successfully prints it using eSun or any other producers filament. As such I am getting a bit worried since in the past Raise3D has shipped products which did not perform as I was led to expect... i.e., any filament.
I sure hope V2 fixed the problems I have found. Problems that have now made my N2 useless for the kind of objects i have to produce with it..

Hi Andy,

I'm new here. Would you like to send it to support@raise3d.com again? We can test it with V2 with 3rd party filament.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Andy if you want i can run a test too (if the print doesnt take days, i really need the printer for production too)

So far i have had no problems extruding unless i went and set the feed rate to 350% and even then it didnt clog up just made a print that had poor layer binding, might need to set a higher temp / flowrate if i really want to print at those insane speeds :) (tested upto 200% with std temp at 220 without any problems)

Printer has been printing almost non stop for over a week

I am now on my 2nd roll of PLA from Raise3D and its almost gone.

Next i will try to print with Esun PET once the black roll of PLA is done and i still have a few rolls of Esun ABS in the closet

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Zettlinger wrote:Andy if you want i can run a test too (if the print doesnt take days, i really need the printer for production too)

So far i have had no problems extruding unless i went and set the feed rate to 350% and even then it didnt clog up just made a print that had poor layer binding, might need to set a higher temp / flowrate if i really want to print at those insane speeds :) (tested upto 200% with std temp at 220 without any problems)

Next i will try to print with Esun PET once the black roll of PLA is done and i still have a few rolls of Esun ABS in the closet

It's backwashing on toolpaths that are tight as in those times when the object has a slow slant upwards and the slicer draws a toolpath which makes for a slight rise on one side. The test has to be with a filament type which we know gets the problem with V1. Black PLA Prototype Supply does it here. My guess is it's with filament which is less viscous... the stuff flows out way too fast and backwashes. If I pull back on the extrusion flow (ala Extrusion Multiplier) I can get it to stop the backwash at the expense of a smooth flat surface when the toolpaths are linear.
Attachments
u_box_v101_20160226-32269-163f5rc-0.stl
(424.43 KiB) Downloaded 575 times

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:02 pm

i am printing a small piece now (another 30 min max) then i will try to print yours in Raise3d PLA, slicer estimates under 3 hrs so should have a pic later today

*Edit its printing now, looks smaller then i expected :)

*Edit2 Finished, i did notice some weird way of filling the bottom, this causes some overlap (i also had thin walls at 0,4 for a previous print and forgot to reset that).

2016-04-19 22.43.38.jpg

2016-04-19 22.43.45.jpg

2016-04-19 22.43.51.jpg

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Doing one more print in the black PLA for my gf's shop and then it should be done and i will start on a PET roll (Esun) i will print it again with that filament too

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:34 am

did the spare parts, extra thermocouple and heaters make it in with the V2 hotend shipment?
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 am

firesped wrote:did the spare parts, extra thermocouple and heaters make it in with the V2 hotend shipment?

You can use the same heating rod and thermal couple from V1 hot end.
We include nylon tip screws and z limit switch spring in the package also.

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:23 am

John, I think firesped is referring to spare parts and extra thermocouple and heaters that would be for sale on the website...

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:18 am

Charles wrote:John, I think firesped is referring to spare parts and extra thermocouple and heaters that would be for sale on the website...

Not at this moment. It should be available in store around end of this month.
If anyone needs those parts urgently, please contact sales@raise3d.com. We will figure out a way to help you out.

socke

Postby socke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:08 am

@Raise3D: In an earlier Post it was mentioned that the new hotends for EU backers will be sent directly from China via DHL. Is that already happened? I'm just curious because I didn't get a notification so far...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:15 am

Andy Cohen wrote:
Zettlinger wrote:Andy if you want i can run a test too (if the print doesnt take days, i really need the printer for production too)

It's backwashing on toolpaths that are tight as in those times when the object has a slow slant upwards and the slicer draws a toolpath which makes for a slight rise on one side. The test has to be with a filament type which we know gets the problem with V1. Black PLA Prototype Supply does it here. My guess is it's with filament which is less viscous... the stuff flows out way too fast and backwashes. If I pull back on the extrusion flow (ala Extrusion Multiplier) I can get it to stop the backwash at the expense of a smooth flat surface when the toolpaths are linear.

Hi Andy,

Have printed your STL with V2 and 3rd party filament.
Attachments
631445983800001328.jpg
411560797016288937.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:42 am

socke wrote:@Raise3D: In an earlier Post it was mentioned that the new hotends for EU backers will be sent directly from China via DHL. Is that already happened? I'm just curious because I didn't get a notification so far...

Almost all the V2 hot end for backers not in US have been already sent out. If you haven't receive a confirm mail yet, please contact with sales@raise3d.com.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
Andy Cohen wrote:

Hi Andy,

Have printed your STL with V2 and 3rd party filament.

Thanks and thanks to Zettlinger too. Looking forward to V2.

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:10 pm

got my print to get past the board error. the broken coupler is still functional.

updated the firmware and set it to 1 extruder.
unpluged the damaged coupler to see if it would work with only one. answer is, nope.
switched the good coupler to other port, still nope.
if you have the dual extruder board, you need 2 couplers.

I put the good hotend and heated it up. then I loosed the set screws and got the thermocouple and heater rod loose, they were glued together with plastic, weeee.

spent some time cleaning off the plastic from the 2 heater rods and the good thermocouple.

I managed to get the casing out of the other hotend as well. I've got the bad one pieced together right now, the printer boots but I'm not sure I want to trust it.
printers:

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:28 am

For Esun PETG i had to set temp to 240 the bed to 80 and flowrate to 85 with the V2 nozzle

It had a bad print overnight so at the moment the hotend is off for cleaning :/

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Just received the package with V2.
Looking at the part.
I notice the very narrow tube between the heat sink and the hot block. What is the soft material on the tube?
The tube no longer extends down into the nozzle and instead is pressure sealed by screwing the nozzle up against the end of the tube.
I won't have to the time to install and test until this weekend.
Note, the package also included the nylon tipped lock screws for the bed and a new Z height screw and spring... at least thats what I think it is.

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 pm

recieved mine as well. was out picking up some ceramic fiber cloth from a local company. they don't sell it in small amounts though. the material is called CeraTex ceramic fiber. It insulates up to 1800 F for constant use. max is 2300 F. going to see what I need to do to make a
printers:

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 pm

firesped wrote:recieved mine as well. was out picking up some ceramic fiber cloth from a local company. they don't sell it in small amounts though. the material is called CeraTex ceramic fiber. It insulates up to 1800 F for constant use. max is 2300 F. going to see what I need to do to make a

I had some time this PM and went ahead and installed.
I tried to insulate the blocks and gave up. Way too complicated. Too many holes! Seems to me it only needs insulation on the bottom and on the top, but i never had an issue since i added the downward fan so I moved on.
Installation is straight forward but it can get tricky. Afterward the nozzles have to be realigned, the Z limit switch has to be readjusted (time to replace the screw anyways) and you need to be careful you do not home until the height is not too close or you may damage the plate (unless you have springs underneath as I do).
But there was one hitch... A problem with one of the set screws for the left side V1 ext. The one holding the TC. It felt as though the socket was stripped and the 1.5mm wrench (or was it 2?) simply would not grab.
I used a US std size which was a touch larger and it was able to remove the set screw, WHEW!
I currently have it on a test print with filament both of which failed to print with V1. Fingers crossed.

firesped

Postby firesped » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:12 pm

I just started a 48 minute print myself using the raise3d black PLA and the standard V2 PLA profile, only changed bed tempature to 50 C.
printers:

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:44 am

So far, so very good. It powered though toolpaths which were guaranteed backwash clogs in V1. It's a 10 hour print and I'm feeling good about it completing.
Prototype Supply, Black PLA using the same profile in Simplify3D that I used with V1.
Looking good!

Return to “Hardware”