Buildtak and Glass Build plate questions

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
DS2017

Buildtak and Glass Build plate questions

Postby DS2017 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Hey I got a few questions on the buildtak surface and the glass build plate.

We have a N2+.

1. How would I go about removing the old buildtak surface to replace it with a new one?

2. Once the buildtak is replaced, should the Z be leveled again? And how would I go about this.

3. What are the typical life spans of buildtak surface and glass build plate?

Thanks

Squenz

Re: Buildtak and Glass Build plate questions

Postby Squenz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 pm

1. using a painters Knife/Cutter get inbetween glass and BuilTak and try to pry/lever it away from the glass. once you got a piece loose, give the BuildTak a cut, may 70 or 80 wide, and rip this first piece off the glass, you should have a loose part left, so proceed with the next strip.

Once you got it started, it's not terrible hard to pull it off.

2. YES, i'd check height and level every once in while, and every time with a new surface.

3. depends ....

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Squenz wrote:1. using a painters Knife/Cutter get inbetween glass and BuilTak and try to pry/lever it away from the glass. once you got a piece loose, give the BuildTak a cut, may 70 or 80 wide, and rip this first piece off the glass, you should have a loose part left, so proceed with the next strip.

2. YES, i'd check height and level every once in while, and every time with a new surface.

3. depends ....

hey thanks for the reply. I'm just worried about the adhesive glue? that might be stuck on the glass from buildtak. Is that easy to remove or is there a good soap solution thing to remove it?

Michael.P@Raise3D

Postby Michael.P@Raise3D » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Normally the adhesive will come off with the buildtak side, I have not seen it stick to the glass in a while. If it does stick to the glass soap will not work too well. Something more along the lines of Goo-gone would be better to remove the adhesive.
Michael Petitclerc, Technician
Tel: +888 963 9028
Web: http://www.raise3d.com

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 pm

I just replaced my BuildTak two weeks ago, there was minimal remainder on the glass, way less than 1% of the area. Most was were the binder clips have been located. I actually don't remember what i used to clean the glass, i got aceton, washing alcohol and ethylacetat at hand, one of these worked just fine. You can also just scrub the adhesive off with the backside of the cutter. Nothing fancy here.

When placing the new sheet, you have to take some care, first, everything around you should be as clean as possible, no chips, no dust. Use two strips of tape to keep the new BuildTak at the edge to hold the direction where you start applying the new sheet. I started in the left/rear corner, moved my way to the middle of the left side, then middle o the rear and worked my way towards right fornt corner. I peeled of 6 to cm of the cover tape and worked from the middle to both outwards sides. Use only medium force to get it on the glass, in case you have to lift it up. Worked like charm, if you see a bubble forming, pull the sheet back off, use a short piece of tape to get culprit away from the adhesive. If everything is set and done, you can go over the whole sheet again, using good force to make it tack.

Once your done, rub the new BuildTak with a light isopropanol mixture before first use, to remove your finger prints and have a clean and fat free surface.

maxamillo

Postby maxamillo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Squenz wrote:1. using a painters Knife/Cutter get inbetween glass and BuilTak and try to pry/lever it away from the glass. once you got a piece loose, give the BuildTak a cut, may 70 or 80 wide, and rip this first piece off the glass, you should have a loose part left, so proceed with the next strip.

3. depends ....

Can you take it all off in one go? Why the strips?

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:13 pm

I have used, in order: Glue stick on glass, then a PEI surface on glass (both on a different printer), then the BuildTak that came on the N2, which lasted me 2 weeks, and then just glass with hair spray. And after trying the glass with hairspray there is no going back for me. I’ve been on it for about 2 years.

Here is what you need:
1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PP96Q5/re ... rd_w=ssZqy
2. https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Net-Extra-P ... extra+hold

That’s it. For the scraper you can get any scraper blade from a hardware store. I just linked the first one I came across on amazon. For the hair spray, the one I linked is the only one I’ve tried, so I can’t speak for any other type of hairspray. These sell for less than $3 in Wal Mart if you are in the US. And I think Wal Mart would carry the scraper as well.

You will need that scraper to properly remove the BuildTak and the leftover glue from the glass plate. That scraper is much better than any spatula for removing prints because it really gets in between the print and the surface. But the thing is, you can only use a blade scraper like this one if you are printing on glass. If you use it on a fancy build surface you will ruin your fancy/expensive build surface. This is why my BuildTak lasted only 2 weeks and I’m happier for it. The benefit of printing on glass is that glass lasts forever, you don’t need to worry about treating it with care. There is a reason why Ultimakers still print on glass. And here is the kicker, when your print is done you can remove the bed and flip it. Because it is transparent you can see your print through the back of the build plate and rub ice cubes exactly behind the print. The cold makes the prints pop off the build surface. Of course if you are in a hurry and the print is not very large you can just use the scraper. But for prints with large surfaces the ice method is the way to go.

I have found this method to be the cheapest and most convenient since the only consumables are $3.00 hair spray that lasts for many many prints, and ice which is basically free.

The only downside compared to fancy build surfaces is that you need to take your build plate outside from time to time and spray it with more hairspray. I usually print in different areas of the build plate so I’m printing on fresh hairspray most of the time until I finally decide to reapply a new coat. But this is just a matter of taking the plate outside, spraying a thin coat, and putting the plate in the printer with the bedplate temperature set to 55 deg to dry the coat. It takes 1 minute to apply and about 5 minutes to dry. But this is a trade I gladly make in exchange for not having to treat my build surface with any care.

So since you are going to remove the BuildTak anyway, and you should get a scraper to remove it, I say you get the hairspray and give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and may find you don’t need the BuildTak after all.

Squenz

Postby Squenz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:23 pm

maxamillo wrote:

3. depends ....

Can you take it all off in one go? Why the strips?

I cut it in some smaller strips because these are easier to handle than the whole wide sheet. Of course you can try to peel it off in one go, i for one found it easier the way i described it. Different strokes for different folks ....

Return to “Hardware”