Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
claytony565

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Add-on

Postby claytony565 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Jetguy wrote:
claytony565 wrote:UPDATE: I plugged it in to the MCB upside down like a doofus.

In order to best explain to others to prevent the mistake. I think you are saying you flipped the EXP3 connector with the red and back wires. It is not "keyed" and can be flipped around and still plug in- but when doing so- no power to the optical filament detectors means they cannot detect.
Again, if you mistakenly flip the red and black pin location by plugging in that EXP3 connector the wrong way, the filament sensor gets no power.
Filament sensor mainboard connections.jpg
filament sensor mainboard connections2.jpg
Filament sensor harness.jpg

That is precisely what happened. Thanks for pointing that out.

pgroen

Postby pgroen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 am

HI All,

Bought the sensor, mounted it to the printer, downloaded the new firmware and connected the sensor to the board as shown in the guide...
Started a print job, cut the filament just above the sensor and let it "run-out"... Nope no show, the printer doesn't stop.....
Tried to measure the output of the sensor with and without filament and it is working correctly ..

My Raise3DN2 however does not stop when it is out of filament...

I'm stuck at this point.....

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm

pgroen wrote:HI All,

Bought the sensor, mounted it to the printer, downloaded the new firmware and connected the sensor to the board as shown in the guide...
Started a print job, cut the filament just above the sensor and let it "run-out"... Nope no show, the printer doesn't stop.....
Tried to measure the output of the sensor with and without filament and it is working correctly ..

My Raise3DN2 however does not stop when it is out of filament...

I'm stuck at this point.....

Please shoot us a support ticket at help.raise3d.com.
Have your tried to remove the filament on both side to see whether it triggers error.

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I want to stress to all of you that the runout sensor is not such a big problem that it needs new parts. As far as i can determine, the only problem with it is that the filament sized holes have not been chamfered. That's it. Just chamfer the holes and install it and the filament will run through perfectly smoothly. The holes are so precision drilled that a very sharp edge ws left, and that edge needs to be "broken." That is a standard machinist action to do. They left it out or forgot it or skipped it, but it needs to be done no matter how you mount it.
Last edited by JohnSays on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

jvingaard

Postby jvingaard » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:55 pm

Do i need to uncommon #define ABH_RUNOUT_SENSOR in Marlin 1.1.8ABH Firmware for the Run-Out Sensor to work?

AP7

What is the correct way to change filament during a print

Postby AP7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

I am printing a large print right now and my filament roll is almost empty. Will my Raise3D pro 2 plus prompt me when it runs out of filament? Is there a proper way to install a new roll? Is time an issue when it runs out, do I need to install the new roll in a certain timeframe to finish my print properly, it is a 6 day print that is 55% complete.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:58 am

This video may can answer some of your concerns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqOiRmKxWc

AP7

Postby AP7 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank you Vicky,
That was very helpful. Wished I had found/seen it earlier.

Now I have another question, if I need to go to another thread just point me in the right direction. My 22" tall print is now 19"s tall and the display on my 2 Pro Plus says it is 98.6 percent completed, but it also says 39 hours left to print. Why is such a large discrepancy showing? If the print stops at 100% it will not be finished or will it just print 39 more hours and finish?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:15 pm

The remaining print time is calculated based on the estimated print time ideaMaker did when slicing complete. The real print time may have difference comparing with this estimated value, due to acceleration, preheating, resume or other factors caused by different using environment. When print approaches to the end, the screen will check whether there has remaining code lines. If yes, the screen will do another estimate. Then when it approaches to the end, the screen will recheck and estimate again until all codes have been completed.

AP7

Postby AP7 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Thank you. So slicing was my issue and in hind site my project changed color at the top few inches and now I know that that was an indicator that my print may not complete. I will keep a better eye out for that situation should it arise again.

Return to “Hardware”