Help - Scary Error

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
rgriesbeck

Help - Scary Error

Postby rgriesbeck » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 am

My buddy's N2+ spit out a scary error today. He's on the road atm, so I'm hoping to get some answers for him so when he gets home, he'll have some things to try.

He's had it for less than 2 weeks, has done a few prints with good success, then this

See attachment

Thanks for any advice in advance
Attachments
IMG_20160327_184044_01.jpg

firesped

Re: Help - Scary Error

Postby firesped » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:48 am

I think that is the same error my system shot at me when I broke my thermocouple a few days ago.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Jetguy

Deleted

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:17 am

It's a single extruder. What does he need to do to "check them"?

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:22 am

Have a look at where the thermocouple wires attach to the little signal conditioning board attached to the extruder carriage, see that everything appears to be securely connected, not loose, not shorting, etc. Thermocouples themselves are pretty indestructible, so it's probably either a simple wiring fault or something less trivial on the conditioning PCB.

Jetguy

Deleted

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:43 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Deleted

Postby Jetguy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:04 am

Deleted
Last edited by Jetguy on Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:40 am

rgriesbeck wrote:My buddy's N2+ spit out a scary error today. He's on the road atm, so I'm hoping to get some answers for him so when he gets home, he'll have some things to try.

He's had it for less than 2 weeks, has done a few prints with good success, then this

See attachment

Thanks for any advice in advance

It shows mean temp error. This means the extruder thermal couple reads a temperature lower than 5C. If your environment temperature is higher than 5C, then it is most likely as Jetguy mentioned, a loose cable connection.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:43 am

Awesome advice guys (and Julia), thanks so much. Will pass this along, hopefully its this simple!

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:28 am

rgriesbeck wrote:Awesome advice guys (and Julia), thanks so much. Will pass this along, hopefully its this simple!

How is it now? Working?
If not, please send us an email at support@raise3d.com or reach us through the ticket system on our website.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:36 pm

He got it fixed, loose cable I believe. Thanks again

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:50 pm

I actually didn't fix it.. just started a new print and it didn't error again.... so yeah still not sure what caused it?? The cables were fine.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:34 am

Biggeek wrote:I actually didn't fix it.. just started a new print and it didn't error again.... so yeah still not sure what caused it?? The cables were fine.

Mintemp error usually is due to low environment temperature (below 5C). It is nothing wrong with the printer just it felt too cold and it refused to work. :lol:

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:49 am

OK it is 20C + in my office at all times.. so that wasn't it.. but its been working since

John@Raise3D wrote:
Biggeek wrote:I actually didn't fix it.. just started a new print and it didn't error again.... so yeah still not sure what caused it?? The cables were fine.

Mintemp error usually is due to low environment temperature (below 5C). It is nothing wrong with the printer just it felt too cold and it refused to work. :lol:

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 am

Biggeek wrote:OK it is 20C + in my office at all times.. so that wasn't it.. but its been working since

John@Raise3D wrote:

Could be a random error. Let us know if it happens again.

haylcron

Postby haylcron » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm getting the MAXTEMP error. I have two objects being printed in opposite corners of the print bed. Top left starts laying the raft correctly. Bottom right gets nearly through the first raft layer then the error trips. If I jiggle the ribbon cable slightly while the printer is on and not printing, I get errors. Is the movement causing this to happen? If so, how do I properly secure the ribbon cable?

EDIT: I moved the objects closer together and still got the error. I watched the temps on the remote panel and the extruder never went more than 1 degree over my specified temp of 220.

Matthew Lozano

Postby Matthew Lozano » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Haylcron did you make sure the ribbon cable is fully seated at the little board on the side of the extruder?

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:20 pm

a drop of hotglue to keep it in place might do wonders

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:40 am

haylcron wrote:I'm getting the MAXTEMP error. I have two objects being printed in opposite corners of the print bed. Top left starts laying the raft correctly. Bottom right gets nearly through the first raft layer then the error trips. If I jiggle the ribbon cable slightly while the printer is on and not printing, I get errors. Is the movement causing this to happen? If so, how do I properly secure the ribbon cable?

EDIT: I moved the objects closer together and still got the error. I watched the temps on the remote panel and the extruder never went more than 1 degree over my specified temp of 220.

Most likely this moving across the bed is causing your Maxtemp error. As mentioned, glue is a good way to start. If you are printing ABS or high temperature material, you need to select a high temperature glue that can stand the camber temperature.

haylcron

Postby haylcron » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:06 pm

@john

Sorry for the delay, we have a newborn in the house and I'm not getting much time to tinker.

As you can see in the album below, I glued the connector on, started a print, and have the same error. In fact, every time I press reboot, the device boots back up with either a generic extruder error or a max temp error. I'm completely out of commission right now.

https://goo.gl/photos/Z37PJEnsKxEJCQqk9

I have not modded the printer in any way. It is completely stock. I've had several successful prints and this just started happening out of nowhere. Please advise on next steps.

EDIT: I'm printing Raise3d PLA at 220.

Return to “Hardware”