So finally my N1 printer found it's home!

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Trhuster

So finally my N1 printer found it's home!

Postby Trhuster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:40 am

Hello,

So after the unboxing it was time to print the first calibration cube, i downloaded the latest ideamaker and sliced a 20x20x10mm cube with 10% infill. Not 100% because i just wanted to see it move!

First thing was to level the bed, N1 is not like N2 and have springloaded adjustement in the cornes same as most off the printers out there. But my heated alu plate was bent really bad and no way to clip down the glass without bending it. I did the best i could, will try to fix it later today.

I used the standard PLA profile but i like my Z-ABS so i loaded it and set layer to 0.2 and hotend to 280c and printed the cube. Some overextrusion going on so i adjusted the flowrate to 90% and the next one down to 85%. Seems about right for Z-ABS. And now to the problems, i have some z-banding going on so i printed the cube 100m in height and only 2 shells. Not really good imo.

So the next thing i did was to teardown off the z-stage to see if i could spot a problem. I felt som "grinding" when turning the ballscrew and also the left z-rod was abit loose at the bottom.

I tried to figure out if it was a screw under the bottom plate that i could tighten abit but after removal off some stuff i found out it was not. I guess it is only pressed down the plate and tolerances is abit off so no real way to get rid off slop there, i dripped some loctite and put down the z-stage at the bottom so it can hardend at the right place and hopfully i will get rid off the small play.

I greased the rods and the ballscrew and loosend the screws to ballscrew nut (they where loose and should be to avoid binding) and checked every screw and pulled it up and down to get it to move smooth. I think it does that now.

I really don't like that ballscrew is mounted at the top and tried to loosen but why in earth is the two screws philips instead of hex screws? I could not get them off. Sure if ballscrew nut is loose mabey binding can be avoided but i would like to have the ballscrew top free too.

I have many pluses to talk about too but at this point i want to solve z-stage and then i will take about the good stuff, it is plenty!

And one other thing, printin the parts in center is way off. Anyone know how to fix that?

Oh and a video off unboxing, in Swedish though. https://youtu.be/qyIR1fGBnqE

Some pictures.

Trhuster

Re: So finally my N1 printer found it's home!

Postby Trhuster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Fixed the bent bed to best i could get it and get rid off the clips. I used small drops off glue so glass can be floating, and yes i can get it off if i want to. I have used this metod on my Clone R1 before. So no clips and a even bed all over the surface now. I am happy with that.

Tested maximum size 205x205mm. Offset in X i can understund because off dual extruders but offset in Y is strange and missed bed by a few mm. The whole bed assembly should be further out imo.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:20 pm

So next test i printing is one that i have done on my other printer's Clone R1 and Zortrax M200. Not done yet but z-stage seems very good now. Will compare with old prints when it is done. Oh and i went over to Simplify3d just beacuse i know it better.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 pm

Nice pictures, thanks. We haven't seen much of the N1 before :)

I assume you contacted Raise3D about the bend stuff so they can check how that was possible (they seem to package the printers very well)

You said you used glue iso the brackets, possible you accidentally pushed it back a bit too much ? Otherwise i have no reason why the Y axis would be off , as you said it has nothing to do with dual or single extruder.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Zettlinger wrote:Nice pictures, thanks. We haven't seen much of the N1 before :)

I assume you contacted Raise3D about the bend stuff so they can check how that was possible (they seem to package the printers very well)

You said you used glue iso the brackets, possible you accidentally pushed it back a bit too much ? Otherwise i have no reason why the Y axis would be off , as you said it has nothing to do with dual or single extruder.

The printer and the bed was very nicley packaged. All my beds on other printers is also bent like this, it is real hard to make them perfectly flat from factory.

And z-stage can only be mounted in one way so no misalignment going on.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:10 pm

So here is the comparison pictures. The left one is printed on Zortrax M200 and the middle one is N1, the right one is Clone R1. Hard to take good pictures without good light so i had to use flash.

But from what i can see so is z-banding as good as the two other printers, mabey Clone R1 is just a little bit better. When it comes to ghosting/ringing N1 is the best, pretty much nothing to see at all. Zortrax is the worst and Clone R1 close second.

Overall look and feel is very nice with N1, must say that i am really impressed. Also like how quiet it moves, just that psu fan is load as hell.

For this test i used Z-ABS sliced with Simplify3d at 280c and 0.2 layers. Print time was around 2 hours.

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:56 am

This is great! Love to see all the prints, feedback and suggestions.
We will think about the Z-stage to see how we can improve this.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 am

John@Raise3D wrote:This is great! Love to see all the prints, feedback and suggestions.
We will think about the Z-stage to see how we can improve this.

Thx John,

Printing makerbot torture test now. Really impressive how N1 motion planner keeps up with the segmented g-code off simplify3d. With Clone R1 and sailfsih this test was a disaster. Makes me happy becuse i did not expect so smooth printing with marlin 8bit vs sailfish 8bit. Will post a pic when print is done.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:38 am

So some close up pictures now when sun was up, the pillars has some zips but i think mabey i need to go down from 60mm/ to 40mm/s to get rid off those. Extrusion is spot on i think.

Used Simplify3d and Z-ABS at 0.2 layers 60mm/s speed.

But layers are quite nice imo and corners and lack off ghosting is really good news for me! Now we try and print a nice 3DBenchy.

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:02 am

Trhuster wrote:So some close up pictures now when sun was up, the pillars has some zips but i think mabey i need to go down from 60mm/ to 40mm/s to get rid off those. Extrusion is spot on i think.

Used Simplify3d and Z-ABS at 0.2 layers 60mm/s speed.

But layers are quite nice imo and corners and lack off ghosting is really good news for me! Now we try and print a nice 3DBenchy.

Great test! Z-ABS looks great, a little bit over-extrusion I think. Maybe lower the extrusion rate will help the vertical quality.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:32 am

Derek@Raise3D wrote:Great test! Z-ABS looks great, a little bit over-extrusion I think. Maybe lower the extrusion rate will help the vertical quality.

Actually extrusion is just abit under, i have done several other tests to confirm this. My guess is that the small blobs on the pillars is beacuse off 60mm/s speed is to fast because off high resolution stl-file and Simplify3d that puts out very many small segments in the g-code.

Will do another test with 30mm/s to confirm.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:46 pm

So i did another print, same g-code as before only difference is speed 30mm/s instead off 60mm/s. Much better result on the pillars, other than that same quality. 8bit motion planner just can't keep up with g-code from Simplify3d, but N1 did a much better job then with my Clone R1 that uses 8bit/sailfish. Oh, the left one is the one printed with 30mm/s

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:56 pm

Trhuster wrote:So i did another print, same g-code as before only difference is speed 30mm/s instead off 60mm/s. Much better result on the pillars, other than that same quality. 8bit motion planner just can't keep up with g-code from Simplify3d, but N1 did a much better job then with my Clone R1 that uses 8bit/sailfish. Oh, the left one is the one printed with 30mm/s

A 32bit board is under development. Need several month time, let's justify the magic of 32bit firmware later!
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:22 pm

Derek@Raise3D wrote:A 32bit board is under development. Need several month time, let's justify the magic of 32bit firmware later!

I am happy as it is but sure 32bit would make me more happy! ;) I just do this kind off tests to learn where the limits for the printer is.

Julia Truchsess

Postby Julia Truchsess » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Great job, Rik!

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Thx Julia,

Now time for some real printing. I feel that the force is with me and i will print this Castle scaled to max size off N1 buildvolyme 205mm. I will use Z-ABS at 280c and bedplate at 100C. I gonna use 0.1 layers and 60mm/s sliced with Simplify3d, estimated time is 36 hours but i bet it will take longer.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:862724

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:34 pm

And now we wait....

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:45 am

Anyone know a replacement fan for PSU? Mine is way too loud, it is a shame when rest off the printer is whisper quiet. :)

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

So this is my take off 3dbenchy prints. First pic is with Z-ABS 0.2 layers and 40mm/s speed sliced in simplify3d. Second pic is same settings but layers only 0.04mm.

Notice the z-ringing when using low layers 0.04mm, i guess N2 would not have this or much less beacuse off a better z-stage than N1 has. The 0.2 layer one has no ringing at all.

Overall the 0.2 layer benchy is as good as when printed with Clone R1 or Zortrax M200 wich is very good news for me. :)

The two last pics is just to show the difference in how the roof looks with 0.2 vs 0.004 layers. For every new print i do i get more and more impressed by this machine, i think i slowly falling in love with it. 8-)

jmp

Postby jmp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Trhuster- If you want a comparison I did that same print on the Clone1, 0.1 layer height. Mine took 75 hours. Probably the best print I have ever done.
2015-07-23 20.39.44.jpg
RL Name: Jason Preuss Thingiverse: JMP Youtube:http://youtube.com/c/patterntoprint Website: http://www.patterntoprint.com

Return to “Hardware”