New Extruder, Bad Jam

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
rgriesbeck

Re: New Extruder, Bad Jam

Postby rgriesbeck » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 am

Zettlinger wrote:rgriesbeck replace the nozzle and see if it solves the problem if you are sure the throat tube is clean as a whistle.

If it is the nozzle i usually replace it and i will wait until i have a few clogged ones to torch them all together to see if they are fixable or need to be replaced

Cleaning the nozzle is almost the same you burn it to a crisp the big blobs will ooze out and the rest should turn to ash that you can wipe out
(i still need to find myself a guitar string to clean the tiny nozzle, TIP FOR RAISE3D to add a gitar string with the 2 wires they already supply :) )

Goodluck ! (it will get easier the more you do it ;) )

Can I use a V1 nozzle? I tried cleaning everything again today, no go. I tried a guitar string (one I used with my MakerBots) it wouldn't go through...

Should the throat tube screw all the way down to the aluminum block? If I do, my nozzle barely screws on... Should the nozzle screw flush to the block? I kinda split the difference on reassembly...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:46 am

No. V1 nozzle and V2 are not the same.

The normal cases, the screw thread of throat tube should all the way into the heating block. Leave the thin part which is heat break above the heating block.
Did you feel that the nozzle had already touched the throat tube when you assemble the throat tube? There is no need to screw the nozzle all the way in. As long as the nozzle has touched the throat tube, it is already ok.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 am

We usually a leave little gap between nozzle and heating block to make sure the nozzle has already touched the throat tube.
1.png

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:01 am

Maybe, just maybe the 3rd times a charm.. Printing a calibration cube atm

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:09 am

Waiting for your result.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:21 am

Failed at 90% - air print

Tightened nozzle (maybe?) and trying again

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:25 am

If you didn't tighten the nozzle with the throat tube, there should be some leakage between nozzle and throat tube. You need to clean the leakage first, then assemble the hotend.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:32 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:If you didn't tighten the nozzle with the throat tube, there should be some leakage between nozzle and throat tube. You need to clean the leakage first, then assemble the hotend.

I did tighten it on the bench, wasn't sure if it was loose, but I've done 2 successful calibration cubes!

I'll step up to a bigger print tomorrow, but I've got a few huge prints pending, hope it'll e reliable

Thanks again to all for advice and hand holding

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:25 am

That sounds good. Since you have a lot big projects. I suggest you buy one more hotend for spare part.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:27 am

Bad news, no luck past those 2 cubes :(

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:51 am

I suggest you disassemble the parts and check all the inside one more time.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Rgriesbeck: Regularry check how far the nozzle is from the bed (especially if you change nozzle or cleaned the extruder.

Yesterday i had 4 failed runs (After weeks of almost no problems printing) and i noticed the nozzle was dragging over the surface.
When i finally checked the nozzlegap from the Home position it appeared that the whole bed moved up a bit. i reset the nozzle gap to about 2 mm and no more problems :)

(might be a long shot but if you didnt remeasure it might be a cause ?)

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:09 am

Brand new hotend, same problem

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:14 am

Installed new hotend, checked nozzle height,using R3D filament, air print after 1 layer of raft. Unplugged with rod, replaced with brand new R3D filament, printed a 2 hour job fine, setup 7 hour print, failed after about 2 hours.

Can't unplug now, same issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... To unplug, I'm heating up to 214-240, running rod in and out; no filament left coming out of nozzle, load filament, it starts, gets bunched up coming out of nozzle, and then starts to tick...

Same effing problem and I'm $100 poorer, grrrrr

John@Raise3D

Postby John@Raise3D » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:31 am

Please take some pictures of your hot end, front and back.
Remove the extruder cover and all other add-ons and take a close picture of the feeding gear. Check if the teeth gear is tight on the motor.
Let's check through the extruder thoroughly.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:38 pm

hope these are OK...
Attachments
2016-06-26 12.25.11.jpg
2016-06-26 12.25.21.jpg
2016-06-26 12.24.48.jpg
2016-06-26 12.24.37.jpg
2016-06-26 12.23.19.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:23 pm

This goes back to you the owner user of the machine can adjust the stepper motor gear to v groove bearing distance.
If you make it too loose, the filament slips. If you make it too tight, you then make it harder for the motor to turn as it using force to crush the filament and that takes away from the force it can feed with.

By your statement, you are gripping because the stepper motor is skipping steps. Good to be gripping rather than slipping but, you can be on the wrong side of that and not be able to extrude reliably either when you gone to the tight extreme.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:24 pm

And, your cooling fan on the heatsink is working?? Just making sure here.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:32 pm

I also see red filament stuck in your gear. That can make a speedbump the motor has to push past as it rotates.

Also, the nozzle is a cone shape internally. If dirt, dust sticking to the filament over time builds up and creates a check ball effect. The ball of dirt might float for a while, but retracts and other movements of extrusion can push it down into the cone of the nozzle and like a check valve, it's not flowing anything. Retracting and changing filament might not catch it either. So, sometimes having a spare fresh nozzle to change out is a fair test for this kind of problem.

I think the growing point is, the stock feeder system works when everything is perfect, and if it's off in adjustment in the slightest, it fails.
Reasons why many of us went to the bondtech to at least maximize the force the stock motor can provide while at the same time, not worrying about adjustments for different filaments or ever again worrying about grinding.
It may not solve every hotend issue, but at least you know it's not the feeder ever again.

rgriesbeck

Postby rgriesbeck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:02 am

Thank Jetguy,

I'll try to answer your questions :

Cooling and heats inks are fine, I haven't changed any settings from the default, as they've worked great for 6 months. It started with airprints, I tried normal cleaning, then graduated to removing and trying to torch and clean it. Still was getting plugged and clicking.

Ordered a new hotend, airprints again. Opened brand new R3D filament, then it seemed fixed, then airprints again. I clean it, feed filament, it doesn't flow smooth, unload filament, try to reload, gets stuck (I believe at the entrance to the hotend) cause filament is bunched up there again.

The red filament stuck was just a small fleck that I blew off since...

I'd rather not replace a bunch of parts again, as it worked great for so long, but I see what you mean about being perfect for it to work best...

Not sure what to try next...

Return to “Hardware”