Z axis checklist

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
chengl03

Z axis checklist

Postby chengl03 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:37 am

Hello everyone,

I have been printing this whole time with a slight defects to my prints which is always bugging me but I just ignored it. So now I decided to go back to test printing and figure out the problem from scratch. And what best way to do that is get a checklist of what to check, what is normal and what is not. So I need help in doing a checklist on the Z axis which I think is the problem.

One thing that I noticed on Z axis is when I moved it down the rods clamps/stutters/bids randomly but when moved up it goes up fine. I also have to tell you guys, I have moved three times so I had to repack and resecure the n2 plus again and again, so two out of three I forgot about those locks on x y z axis when I turn the printer on and home all the axis. And of course when I hear the binding noise, I would realize I did not unlock the x/y or the z axis then go to turn the power off.

I know raise3d does not have a checklist on the printers yet, but I would like to do a start to finish check on the z axis. Any help and suggestion is more than welcome. This would be a very big help to me and maybe to some else too. Thank you.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Z axis checklist

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 am

Try this to check, use the screen to control Z movement. Drop it 10mm or some other value, and measure whether it does move that distance.
If so you may need to lay the machine down to check the Z parts under, coupler, belt, pulley.
Would recommend you to shoot us a ticket to let us help you check more in detail.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:44 pm

make sure your couple isn't broken!

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Well guys, finally got to check under the n2 plus. Everything looks fine, belt is good, wires are fine, z motor looks fine nothing that really pops out as damage, pulley looks good, and coupler (pics below, view is when printer is laid down) seems to have no damage. Anything else I need to check related to Z axis checklist?
Attachments
Top[1].jpg
Right[1].jpg
Right
Left[1].jpg
Left
Bottom[1].jpg
Bottom

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 am

I don't know how to measure how long the distance of the z axis so I just attach a pressure meter that I use for bed leveling. And it seems like the first few 0.1 mm that is moved down doesn't move 0.1 mm. It is only after the 3 or 4 move that it finally goes down the same pressure as indicated by the pressure meter. Like the pressure is at 0 when homing the z axis, then I move it 0.1 mm down, the pressure moves 2 spaces, then the next move is 2 spaces, then the next move is 4 spaces, then then next is 6 spaces, then it moves mostly consistently 6 spaces (which I assume should be the normal move from the first move down which didn't). Is this normal? if not what is the cause of it. Also moving down on the z axis is smooth, but moving up, it stutter sometimes, I reapply lube, but there is still some stutter sometimes.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:54 am

Haven't tried with pressure meter. If you can try with caliper and compare the real distance with the one shown on the screen, that will be more clear for us to understand.
Is there any loose screw on coupler or pulley?
Any stuck or strange noise when trying to move belt?

Which part did you apply lube on? What kind of lube did you use?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:47 pm

I'm going to have to go buy a caliper to try that then.
No loose screws. Should the z axis belt move? Power is off and n2 plus is laying down. I tried with a little force to move it because I didn't want to damage it somehow by using a lot of force pulling it but it doesn't move.
I apply lube on those two spiral metal bar on the z axis. I use super lube Synthetic Grease with Syncolon PTFE.

Can you let me know or pm me the price of a new z axis stepper motor? If the price isn't too much I might want to try replacing it to see if it is the cause. Also do you think turning on the machine and homing the z axis while I still have them locked cause any damage to the motor as it tries to home but can't cause it is locked? Happened to me for a good couple of seconds before I turn power off.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 am

Or rotate the ballscrew and check whether there is any abnormal with the movement of belt and coupler?

For the motor, I'm not sure the real price, should be around $20.
It is hard to say which part may be damaged due to this operation. Most likely the belt, or broken coupler or loose screws, otherwise then driver or motor or motion board.

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:53 am

So Vicky, I rechecked the movement of the belt and coupler again. Needed to use a little bit of force but the belts is moving fine, pulled the belt a couple of times from end to end and did three full pulled from left to right and right to left. Belt feels fine. Coupler also moved fine. Found no abnormal activities on the belt and coupler. I also recheck the screws, they are tight and no loose screws. I did do a replacement on the motion controller board and replaced all the drivers a while back when I short circuited the motion board because of the metal clip scraping the electric wires under the heat plate that wasn't protected, so I doubt they are the problem, but just to be safe how would I go about to check the motion controller board and the drivers?

The only thing I haven't really checked is the z motor, motion board, and driver, which I tried to unscrew the z motor but is screwed in pretty tight so I decided to not unscrew until I am at wits end.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:17 am

We barely check the board or the drivers themselves, but replace them with good ones to compare the difference.
Does the problem only happen after your replacing the motion board and drivers?

By the way, have you ever touched the 8 fixing screws for Z leadscrews?

chengl03

Postby chengl03 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 am

Vicky, it does seems like it happened when I replace them because all my previous prints before were great actually. If you mean the metal screws on the board that screws in those metal cylinder thing to the spiral rod, then yes, I did touch them. Now that you mention it, are those metal cylinder on the spiral rod suppose to wiggle then lock when you hear a locking noise on them?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 am

Those screws should be loose by default. Normally we will tighten the nuts under manually until we feel some resistance. Then turn back a half round to make them as loose status.

Return to “Hardware”