Extruder leaking

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Zettlinger

Extruder leaking

Postby Zettlinger » Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi,

I now have my 2nd extruder that is leaking on the top of the alu heatblock (against the throat tube and upwards towards the cooling fins)

Am i the only one ? Is the normal (do i have to tighten the extruders or something after x hrs of printing?)

I have been printing almost nonstop for 2 weeks with the first block until it started to leak and now after another 3 weeks or so the 2nd has the same problem

Luckily i just received 3 spare extruders so i can switch them out tomorrow

(First one started leaking after nozzle replacement, the 2nd has never had the nozzle replaced yet )

Trhuster

Re: Extruder leaking

Postby Trhuster » Sun May 15, 2016 5:56 pm

It must be the nozzle that is abit loose? And yes when going trough many heat cycles this things can happen and it is a good thing to heat up hotend and make sure the nozzle is secure.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sun May 15, 2016 6:07 pm

the nozzle seems to be fixed (will check after the next print but the alu block does move a bit meaning its not tight all the way

I am not sure how to proceed yet on re tightening the throat tube and especially not when its hot ,much easier to do when its in your hands then inserted in a printer and at 200 degrees or more but i understand why its better done hot.. although that would mean that when cool its not tight anymore due to shrinkage?

Thnx for the info though, feeling a bit better knowing its not something that never happens except to me ;)

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun May 15, 2016 6:17 pm

The heatbreak part seals against the nozzle. It is the only place it can leak unless the thin throat on the heatbreak parts is broken somehow.

Trhuster

Postby Trhuster » Sun May 15, 2016 6:22 pm

E3D is better to explain than me.

"When the HotEnd is at tempereature, tighten the nozzle whilst holding the heater block with a spanner. This will tighten the nozzle against the HeatBreak and ensure that your HotEnd does not leak. You want to aim for 3Nm of torque on the hot nozzle - this is about as much pressure as you can apply with one finger on a small spanner. The nozzle does not need to be torqued down incredibly tightly to form a good seal, when at lower tempreatures the aluminium will contract and hold the Nozzle and HeatBreak together.
You are now ready to mount the HotEnd to your printer
."

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 pm

on the first one that leaked the thread where the throattube was in wend dead (you could keep turning it)

I will replace both with 2 new ones tomorrow and check what is going on with the one i am printing with now

Thnx for the extra info :)

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Tue May 17, 2016 2:59 pm

I have experience similar problem with V2, and I will suggest that you need to do when it is hot otherwise, you might damage the thread screw of heat block like I do.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Tue May 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Yeah... I found after a nozzle clog tear down that there was a tiny bit of leakage in my V2 as well. You have to be REAL careful to get the nozzle to seat well up against the titanium tube. If your hot block moves at all, then while hit you should ensure the nozzle is reseated correctly. I would have designed a more proper mating surface on each.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue May 17, 2016 10:46 pm

just to be sure i can keep printing i made sure to have some extra extruders .
2 fully new ones and one where the heatblock got messed like Ben's the thread in the alu block is damaged and it wont seal (still a usuable throattube, nozzle and fan :) )

I cleaned the 2nd one that was leaking and it seems to be fine now could have happend during a clog as Andy said

Derek@Raise3D
Site Admin

Postby Derek@Raise3D » Tue May 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Tighten the nozzles when they are hot.
At we have a little update on this, a small bronze screw is involved to tighten the throat tube in the later batches.
=================
Derek@Raise3D.com
I'm a lazy engineer. So I want everything automated.

hardbc

Postby hardbc » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 am

This is a serious problem and I believe the design is not good. I got my N2 printer at the end of May. The left heatblock was leaking on the throat tube side from the very first print. The right one was ok.

I took it out and I followed the procedure from other printers. Still leakage. I think that I did 15 times, with the entire block heated at around 200C. No luck. The throat was highly loose on high temperature and most likely this was the source of the leak.

Eventually I contacted support and they pointed me to:
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/instructi ... assembling

I tried once again (this time with cold block as pointed by the instructions) because they also wanted pictures. Long story short - I managed to break the throat tube. :(

Instructions are poor:
* do it cold and you have high chances to break the throat tube especially if you have some leakage because some filaments have a high tensile strength
* considering that the block is aluminium it is absolutely required to mention the recommended torque

But even with right instructions, the problem remains. As for the warrany and support provided, I am not happy now to pay for another hotend considering that the old one never worked and even more - I spent my time trying to fix it.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:21 am

hardbc wrote:This is a serious problem and I believe the design is not good. I got my N2 printer at the end of May. The left heatblock was leaking on the throat tube side from the very first print. The right one was ok.

I took it out and I followed the procedure from other printers. Still leakage. I think that I did 15 times, with the entire block heated at around 200C. No luck. The throat was highly loose on high temperature and most likely this was the source of the leak.

Eventually I contacted support and they pointed me to:
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/instructi ... assembling

I tried once again (this time with cold block as pointed by the instructions) because they also wanted pictures. Long story short - I managed to break the throat tube. :(

Instructions are poor:
* do it cold and you have high chances to break the throat tube especially if you have some leakage because some filaments have a high tensile strength
* considering that the block is aluminium it is absolutely required to mention the recommended torque

But even with right instructions, the problem remains. As for the warrany and support provided, I am not happy now to pay for another hotend considering that the old one never worked and even more - I spent my time trying to fix it.

Please advise me your serial number via PM.

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:34 am

when i got my 2 V2 hotends, the K marking was pointing different directions on both. is it possilbe the throat tubes were not inserted all the was on some causing the eventual leak?
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:18 am

It is a symmetric part. The four sides are same to each other.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:53 pm

Swampy that is one hard to read comment.

What i gathered from it, you broke the throat tube and wonder if you need a whole new extruder?

> Answer is sadly Yes the throat tube is not sold separate neither is the alu block.

dhylands

Postby dhylands » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:46 pm

swampy: My understanding is that you just need to leave the thermocouple for the 2nd extruder connected. You can disconnect the heater and the other extruder should work fine.

Zettlinger

Postby Zettlinger » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 am

if i understood the design correctly , the weak point is the actual heat break i think,made as thin as possible to avoid as much heat as possible to move farther up. (the less contact/thickness the less room it has to transfer the heat)

If you make one yourself and make it from a different material AND make it thicker you might want to increase the cooling on the cold end to prevent heat moving up to the cold end (if possible) else it will start melting plastic in the cold end and that can cause all sorts of clogs etc

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 am

swampy wrote:ive had the same this wkend leaked like a mother and now ive snapped the throat where it screws in cant see in the spares list if you sell them is it a compleate new v2 hot end purchase from the stores what thread is the screw that goes into the heatblock and what is the diameter of the hole going through as im looking at getting some made up in stainless as where the thread ends and it goes into the top part with the four sides their is a thin weak part area is it possible to make it same thickness as its thinner in the part between threads and square block with the letter k on cheers

You can buy a single throat tube from us. Please shoot a mail to sales@raise3d.com to get more information.
Since it is not in stock in EU or CA warehouse, you can only order one from CN warehouse currently.

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:30 am

Vicky, will you all start to stock them in the US warehouse in the future?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:46 am

Yes, Charles. But firstly, we need to produce more. Then send them to UK and CA. Then we will release them on our online store.

Return to “Hardware”