N2 Z-Axis noise (Pro series too)

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
zemlin

N2 Z-Axis noise (Pro series too)

Postby zemlin » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:05 pm

N2. I have another N2 and an N2+ that are both very high mileage and haven't had this noise with either of them.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/133qjJ0 ... sp=sharing
I pulled the bottom off the machine and moved the belt by hand. No sign of binding or any vibration. I loosened the ball nut and ran it up and down the shaft - no noise or binding from the ball nut. It happens exactly one revolution of the screw, so it's not likely something with recirculating balls. As far as I can tell, machine performance and reliability have not been impacted, but I'd like to ID the source of the noise so I can get a spare ready. I haven't been able to pinpoint the source, but based on what I've seen and heard poking around it's probably the lower bearing opposite the motor.

Don't worry about the z-switch not being hit. Lots of mods on this machine including a BL-Touch.

Any wagers on what the source of the noise is?

Also, are the instructions for disassembling and assembly of the Z drive? I can imagine that getting the pulley over the ball screw shaft with the belt in place with the correct orientation is tricky.

Jetguy

Re: N2 Z-Axis noise (Pro series too)

Postby Jetguy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:52 pm

My guess would be failed motor coupling. The motor mounts below the one side and uses a coupler and given they are KNOWN to fail, that's exactly what a failed coupler would sound like.
broken coupler.jpg

zemlin

Re: N2 Z-Axis noise (Pro series too)

Postby zemlin » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 am

Good call. Didn't suspect the coupling because it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the machine. I've had them go on X and Y, but they didn't sound like that. Thanks! Spare will be installed shortly.

Return to “Hardware”