Filament Monitor

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Pfisti70

Filament Monitor

Postby Pfisti70 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Is there any way to connect this filament monitor to the Raise3d Pro "https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Duet3dFilamentMonitor_RotatingMagnetVersion" ?

or is there an upgrade of the monitor from Raise3d soon?
I've had a few problems with the original FilamentMonitor as it only recognises whether it has filament or not,
but if the filament is tangled on the spool it just keeps printing.

Steven@Raise3D

Re: Filament Monitor

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm

Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:05 pm

Steven@Raise3D wrote:Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

I just researched the following prices:
Magnetic Filament Monitor ~ $ 65
Laser filament monitor ~ $ 45
Given the prices of raise printers, I can't see that these sensors would drive up the price of printers. The above prices are retail prices! The purchase prices for printer manufacturers are likely to be < 60% lower. Rather, it is a question of will.

Labirynt

Postby Labirynt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:11 pm

Markus64 wrote:
Steven@Raise3D wrote:Unfortunately, we can't advise on making any types of modifications to the machine. The type of sensor that you are referring to would be very expensive to produce and make reliable enough to the point at which it would detect if the filament was jammed or tangled. This type of sensor would drive the price of the machine way up. This is why we decided to only have an optical runout sensor as it is reliable and consistent and does not drastically affect the price of the machine overall.

Given the prices of raise printers, I can't see that these sensors would drive up the price of printers. The above prices are retail prices! The purchase prices for printer manufacturers are likely to be < 60% lower. Rather, it is a question of will.

on aliexpress this laser sensor was for less than 13USD with shipping ;) And this was retail price :)

Markus64

Postby Markus64 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 pm

Labirynt wrote:
Markus64 wrote:

on aliexpress this laser sensor was for less than 13USD with shipping ;) And this was retail price :)

@Labirynt, thanks for the info. Then the purchase price is in the range of a few bucks ...;)
So the argument of a high price increase is clearly refuted.

Pfisti70

Postby Pfisti70 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:07 pm

To the price:

Duet Laser Filament Monitor
$34.99

at https://www.filastruder.com/products/du ... ent-sensor

Return to “Hardware”