How to change the heat bed to spring leveled by Andy Cohen

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
walshlg

Re: How to change the heat bed to spring leveled by Andy Cohen

Postby walshlg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:28 pm

If I may suggest -> buy extra. If you remove the plate from the bed these pads may pull up and wrinkle. In addition they compress with time so I like to replace them if I have to remove the bed

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:43 pm

I was hoping you would tell us!

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:29 pm

DreamForge: I don't know why the difference for sure, but each batch of machines seems to have had changes to the heat bed. Mine has a sheet of some type of composite to protect the underside of the heater and this has not been mentioned by anyone else so far. Andy mentioned "fish paper" for instance. My composite has a square hole right where the center screw is and the heater is exposed there so I needed to add the spacer. I didn't take any pics.

Btw, I use the silicone and pad and love it. It transfers easily from one piece of glass to the next if needed too.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

rhines44

Postby rhines44 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 pm

JohnSays wrote:DreamForge: I don't know why the difference for sure, but each batch of machines seems to have had changes to the heat bed. Mine has a sheet of some type of composite to protect the underside of the heater and this has not been mentioned by anyone else so far. Andy mentioned "fish paper" for instance. My composite has a square hole right where the center screw is and the heater is exposed there so I needed to add the spacer. I didn't take any pics.

Btw, I use the silicone and pad and love it. It transfers easily from one piece of glass to the next if needed too.

I will look into the silicon as well. When I did the bed mod, I realized I had the composite sheet under my heat bed as well....i never knew that and was always taping my clamps. Wish someone made mention. I used a few layers of kapton tape around the center screw and them nylon type spacer.

socke

Postby socke » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:53 am

I also want to do this mod.
Could someone who already did this, point me to an European source for the compression springs? So far I found only sources for springs made of 1.0mm or 1.5mm piano wire (at least with an reasonable price tag). 1.0mm seems to be mostly used for this purpose, but could somebody confirm that this works with the N2?
Further, I see other guys with smaller printers using shorter (and smaller diameter) compression springs (14mm and 20mm seems to be common) for leveling their beds. Could this also work for an N2?

DreamForge

Postby DreamForge » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:49 pm

JohnSays wrote:DreamForge: I don't know why the difference for sure, but each batch of machines seems to have had changes to the heat bed. Mine has a sheet of some type of composite to protect the underside of the heater and this has not been mentioned by anyone else so far. Andy mentioned "fish paper" for instance. My composite has a square hole right where the center screw is and the heater is exposed there so I needed to add the spacer. I didn't take any pics.

Ahhh that makes sense. I have the version just before yours without the shield under the plate... it had the paper insulation in the screw areas. I used Kapton tape over the areas and around the edges of the heat bed.

Andy Cohen

Postby Andy Cohen » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:30 pm

One use case ignored by the factory set bed is when the user has more then 1 plate... as well as different kind of plates. Height adjustment via the limit switch screw? Really? Obviously, the Raise3D people never operated their machines the way many of us who print for a living do.
I now can pull the part on the plate out of the machine to go into a freezer for easy removal and drop in a fresh plate in seconds. I adjust the bed on the fly while the printer is printing a skirt. Super fast, super easy.
I really do not think 9 screws is needed or of any real value. IMO 4 more adjustment screws will simply get in the way. If you need more upward pressure because you cannot find optimal springs do as I suggested in the Tverse post and simply put just the springs in the 4 spots without the screws all the way through the bed. In that case spring stabilizers bolted above and below are probably a good idea to keep these 4 springs in place.

Return to “Hardware”