Long ABS Print failure

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
euthanaut

Long ABS Print failure

Postby euthanaut » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:33 pm

Hello,
I am running a Pro2, attempting to print some large ABS parts (60-70 hr print time). The printer has yet to make it through one of these prints without a failure of some kind- first I had issues with my temperatures which led to nozzle hangup and step loss. I have since resolved the temperature issues, but I am now running into random printer shutdown/freezeup issues.

My most recent print was estimated at 55 hrs. I returned to the office after ~30 hours of print time to find that the print had stopped. The printer and lights were still turned on, the nozzles/bed were still hot, but the nozzles were not moving and the touchscreen had gone black and was unresponsive.

My bed temperature was set to 90 degrees.

I performed a hard reset of the printer and upon reboot there was no resume/cancel prompt as would have occurred if the print failed due to a power loss. I cannot find any indication of why the printer errored out/crashed in the log files, although it is possible that I am not looking in the right places.
Is it possible that the sustained high heat required for a large ABS print caused the control board to error out due to overheating? Is there a way for me to confirm this or has anyone else experienced this problem? I have had this issue ~3 times now and the errors seem to occur when the printer has been hot for an extended period of time.
I updated the firmware to the latest versions of everything this morning. currently running a shorter print (~16 hrs) which I had previous success with to confirm that it will still work.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Long ABS Print failure

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:19 pm

After you found that the print stopped, was the screen still showing any information? Have you tried touch the screen to see whether you are able to control it or not?

euthanaut

Postby euthanaut » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:56 pm

The touch screen was totally blank and unresponsive. No information was visible.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:04 am

Did the screen still have back light when blank or it was totally dark?

euthanaut

Postby euthanaut » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 pm

I can't recall exactly but I believe the backlight was on.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:59 am

The touchscreen will be highly likely the part is causing issue. I would recommend you to reach over to our technicians at http://help.raise3d.com or to your supplier to help you do further diagnose.

euthanaut

Postby euthanaut » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:12 pm

Would a touchscreen failure cause the printer to stop printing while keeping the nozzles and bed hot?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm

Yes.

I wish that I could share my level of knowledge of the machine with you.
The front panel is nothing more than a gcode streaming console, not unlike Octoprint. It provides a user interface and when you click the touch icons, it sends over USB cable standard gcode commands to the actual motion control firmware board running the actual hardware of the printer. Since the 2 boards are totally stand alone- meaning if you knew basic 3D printer electronics 101, you could print without a touchscreen simply by plugging in the USB cable port of the motion control board- AKA the motherboard in any other printer brand.

So when you touchscreen crashes and stops sending further gcode commands- the motion control board keeps doing what it was last commanded to do- maintaining the heater at the last setpoint and waiting for the next line of gcode that simply never gets sent.

euthanaut

Postby euthanaut » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:19 pm

thanks for the reply Jetguy. So, to rephrase so I understand, the touchscreen failure is not like turning the monitor of a computer off- rather it indicates shutdown of the module which processes and delivers the gcode commands to the motion controller board. Do you know whether the console/touchscreen module is prone to overheating, and if so, at what temperature?

euthanaut

Postby euthanaut » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Tried another print and it failed again. Touchscreen was black, nozzles were hot, table was hot, fans were on. The bed temperature was set to 65 degrees which seems to indicate that temperature was not a factor. Why is the touchscreen module failing

mdana

Postby mdana » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:10 am

How long have you had your Pro2? The touchscreen failed on our Pro2 Plus within the first 3 months and was replaced under warranty (I believe electronics are only covered for 90 days).

Return to “Hardware”